Dish Whole Home DVR Timeframe - Am I the only one seriously disappointed?

I think that DISH got side tracked by the whole Sling purchase and trying to do Tv everywhere concept. They have spent a lot of time trying to make the 922 "work". Instead they ended up making it work just like the 722/722k receivers with tv 2 in SD. IF they ever release the sling extender , they might be able to claim that the 922 is finished with Tv 2 in HD. But in spending so much time on the whole sling thing , they lost track of what the competition was doing. Echostar was a founding member of the whole MoCa thing behind this new whole house dvr concept, I don't know why they let themselves get so far behind the competition. I watched the video on the MoCa website and it looks fairly easy to use it with either dbs or cable. So maybe it won't be too long into next year before it hits. Maybe first quarter of 2012.

And what would that be?

I can make a 622, 722, or 922 feed HD to the main TV and then the modulated output (ch 62) feed all the other tv's in the house. I can even mirror the HD feed on ch 60 to feed all those other tv's. This gives you DVR (pause skip play) at any tv in the house. Yes I know that the 60, 62 outputs are analog. This gives me DVR functions at any TV in the house but in analog SD.

However it sounds to me as the Direct MRV is more of a Shared content system that is in HD and not a Whole Home DVR in HD. From what mdram posted it sounds like you cant simply pick up any remote and hit pause or skip back if it is live tv. (Like you can with the analog set up above). To me this is what a DVR should be able to do.

Now if the XIP setup does as it says, not only will you be able to share content like Directs MRV but you will be able to use all DVR function at any tv and do it in HD. So it will take what Direct has done and add to it with the DVR function DISH receivers have now.

So at this time and place to me it comes down to which is more important HD on all TV's with only shared content or DVR functions at all TV's with only one (or two if you add a second DVR) HD output.

The XIP will be able to do all. So it will be worth the wait. (But I want it now :))

Does this make sense. Just my thoughts.

Thanks mdram for your reply

Last edited:
However it sounds to me as the Direct MRV is more of a Shared content system that is in HD and not a Whole Home DVR in HD. From what mdram posted it sounds like you cant simply pick up any remote and hit pause or skip back if it is live tv. (Like you can with the analog set up above). To me this is what a DVR should be able to do.

you can if all units are dvrs, i have 1 hr24(dvr) and 1 h24(nondvr). if both were hr24 then they could share between them as well as pause. i knew this going into it. as you said it is more of a shared content system. all boxes are independent, but share between them.
and it works very well. had i thought about it a second dvr in the bedroom would have been nice for more recording options. but its not required.
if dish had had this i may have stayed, but it is 1 of the reasons i switched

As a Dish Retailer, I, too, am disapointed in this. I saw some fan boys immediately jump to defend.. But we here are a different breed.. We understand adding additional hard drives.. And switching between boxes.. But the average customer doesn't know how to do this.. And the average customer is now starting to ask about whole home DVR. And DirecTV made it easy.. So I am disapointed that Dish isn't already ready to market and install Whole House systems. My guess is the 813 and 110 solution will blow DirecTV away hands down.. But it has to get here first.. And that may be next year.. Or even the year after that.. Or just plain "Soon"

Sounds to me that you're more of a "fan boy" than I am. I simply stated that I have no problems with the current DISH receivers. Never made any claims that it was the same or better than DirecTV's MRV.

I do not think it is as big a deal as people think. Whole home DVR is just starting to come out, and it will take the consumers a year or 2 to demand it. By then Dish's solution will be working, and quite frankly it is (at least as announced on paper) a better solution than many other providers currently have. I say this as a person with a bunch of 211s with EHDs to provide HD/DVR on TVs and a 922 shared between the living room and MB (component/HDMI).

Dish's solution will arrive just in time. Yeah current adopters would be happier if it was done last year, but by the time most customers become aware of it, it will be a mature system.

Seriously... People are acting as if DISH is going to go out of business because they are "a year behind" DirecTV in only one aspect.

It will roll out when they are ready to roll it out. Complaining and moaning won't change the date. If it is not soon enough, see ya!

Agreed.

Let's see: If they don't announce until just before shipping, people complain that they weren't properly notified and were "tricked" into getting an older model.
If they announce early, people claim it's vaporware and start throwing the FUD word around.
They can't win, and they know it.

Somehow, I suspect this one will come out quicker than most realize, and will be more stable. We're due for it, and it has happened before. Beta testing in the field might be quite thorough due to the excitement this model generates.

Let's hope that your speculation proves true. I would jump on it like a dog on a leg.

I can make a 622, 722, or 922 feed HD to the main TV and then the modulated output (ch 62) feed all the other tv's in the house. I can even mirror the HD feed on ch 60 to feed all those other tv's. This gives you DVR (pause skip play) at any tv in the house. Yes I know that the 60, 62 outputs are analog. This gives me DVR functions at any TV in the house but in analog SD.

Now if the XIP setup does as it says, not only will you be able to share content like Directs MRV but you will be able to use all DVR function at any tv and do it in HD. So it will take what Direct has done and add to it with the DVR function DISH receivers have now.

So at this time and place to me it comes down to which is more important HD on all TV's with only shared content or DVR functions at all TV's with only one (or two if you add a second DVR) HD output.

The XIP will be able to do all. So it will be worth the wait. (But I want it now :))

Does this make sense. Just my thoughts.

Thanks mdram for your reply

Yep sounds just like Uverse's "Total Home DVR." Can't pause live TV on any non-DVR receiver. Personally when I had U-verse's THDVR it was not that great.

I installed a whole house video NTSC/ATSC distribution system in 1994, because DISH could only do one box, one TV and I had 15 TV's to cover. At each TV you can view every DISH box, DVD/Blu-ray, VCR, 16 security cameras and OTA direct. Control is via UHF for the DISH boxes and IR back feed. And just the other day in the latest edition of CEPro I saw several ads for HDTV over COAX that look really cool. So there are many solutions out there, so I don't see why the problem is DISH's. I get exactly what I need, where I need it. The first time my 10 year old saw the DTV ad he said, "We've had that long before I was born".

By the time this does come out from Dish, isn't it conceivable that Direct could have their next generation whole home dvr system out? They've got a head start, and I doubt they are just sitting on their laurels. It's possible that they've been working on something like the 813 for some time, and just released what they have now in the interim. Like Dish *could* do with the 922 that Scott reported about.

The whole thing depends on whether Dish is early or late with the XIP deployment. If they make their fall announcement they will be right on time to catch the bulk of interest. If they are late and they come out sometime next year then they will suffer as awareness of the features grow. Remember this is an enthusiast board. People on here tend to be ones looking to use the latest technology. Most people just watch TV and do not think about new features until they have seen a million ads for it and they finally decide it is something they would like.

By the time this does come out from Dish, isn't it conceivable that Direct could have their next generation whole home dvr system out?
The only way for them to do a next generation box is for MoCA 2 to finally be released. I am hearing it wont be late until the end of the year or early next year before the first chips start trickling out.

DIRECTV is really slow getting new boxes out, how many YEARS ago did DIRECTV announce the new MPEG4 DIRECTIVO and its still not out?

1st of all I do not like one unit to cover all the HD TV I have which is a total of 6 I have 6 vip 612

If the main unit goes not I will not have to satellite I had bad power supplies bad hard drives blown front ends water pour from a glass in one of these 6 units I have and last one grands kids pulled on the sat cable pulling down unit

I haved dish dtv starchoice in all the rooms

I like TV to darn much

The only way for them to do a next generation box is for MoCA 2 to finally be released. I am hearing it wont be late until the end of the year or early next year before the first chips start trickling out.

DIRECTV is really slow getting new boxes out, how many YEARS ago did DIRECTV announce the new MPEG4 DIRECTIVO and its still not out?

Why doesn't DISH just wait till the new MoCa 2 chips come out and the new receiver would offer more streams at a time? Instead of MoCa 1 chip late this year and then next year another round of new receivers using MoCa 2 chips.

Then we would all complain about why Dish is taking so long to release the 813.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

True people would complain either way. I say that because DISH is going to take till first quarter of 2012 or LATER to get the 813 to market, why not wait to build it when the new generation MoCa 2 chip comes out, so more streams of hd can be watched at a time. The MoCa 2 chip should happen about the same time next year as the release of the 813. Always better to have the latest generation of chips. IF DIRECTV gets to take their whole house dvr to the next generation of technology before DISH does, they will still be one step ahead of DISH once again.

why not wait to build it when the new generation MoCa 2 chip comes out, so more streams of hd can be watched at a time.

I don't think Moca2 would really going to improve anything about the box. About the only thing it might do is increase the number of 110s that could be hooked up.

MoCa 1 is theoretically capable of 175Mbps, lets say real world is a little less than half that at 80Mbps. Dish programming on average is about 5Mbps. The compression is variable though and there would be protocol overhead, so call it 8Mbps (which would be a grossly inefficient protocol.) Even with four or five 110s, they should still be OK. 3D and OTA tuners complicate this some as the bandwidth needed is higher, and I bet there will end up being some form of published if not hardware/software enforced OTA and 3D limits.

3 tuners may ultimately be shortsighted as this is the type of product that can change habits, but I'd be surprised if MoCa was much of a factor in the decision for it to be a 3 tuner box. They should have looked at what most of the installed base needs and balanced against production costs. For the 5-10% of customers that want more than 3 tuners, they can just add another 813 - which is probably a better choice than having an "814" or "816" because it adds some redundancy. As far as I know MoCa is a shared bus and is not switched, so if they feel it can support two 813s, it could just as easily support a 6 tuner "816."

IF it delivers, XIP will be a solid step ahead of D*'s MRV. They need this out ASAP.

Last edited:
So MoCa 2 chips will mean more 110s that can be added for more streams to be watched around the house . I still say the 813 won't be out till the new chip hits the market. Either way a cool concept that will be nice to have ,if it ever comes to market.

Remember also that the 813s feed a TV also. So, if you had 2 813s and 6 110s, probably a good limit of MoCa 1, you still have 8TVs with whole home HD DVR.

First of all "Whole Home DVR" isn't really all that great. I would much rather have a seperate DVR for each room. The only real advantage is an initial upfront cost savings, and a reduction in DVR or additional receiver fees.

Second of all, I wish Dish would stop announcing all these great products before they are even in production. Why can't they ever show off anything and say its available in the next few days or coming weeks? Seriously, it just pisses me off because eventhough they say Christmass, its probably not going to be till around this time next year.

First of all "Whole Home DVR" isn't really all that great. I would much rather have a seperate DVR for each room. The only real advantage is an initial upfront cost savings, and a reduction in DVR or additional receiver fees.

+1.

but now it will be a per tuner/feed fee..................... or any other fee charlie can make up

Second of all, I wish Dish would stop announcing all these great products before they are even in production. Why can't they ever show off anything and say its available in the next few days or coming weeks? Seriously, it just pisses me off because eventhough they say Christmass, its probably not going to be till around this time next year.

Overall I agree, whole home DVR isn't all that great except when the viewing selection among the various viewers in the home share a commonality. For instance, in my home, which is me and and adult son, our viewing choices are wildly different with few shows that we both enjoy. So for me, I doubt that I would want whole home DVR system other than because it is the latest a greatest.

And I too wish that the SAT providers would hold off announcing untll this latest gee-whiz equipment is at least coming to market shortly.

RV-MH,A/B Switch,3 Satellite System

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)