DishHD and Dish'n It Up Details

Charlie stated that they want to eliminate Mpeg2 programming (the HD channels at least) to start reclaiming the bandwidth in 2007 (granted this date will likely slip if they can't make enough of the boxes fast enough). Since there 12 years worth of old receivers still floating around the SD channels should take considerably longer to reclaim.

Last edited:
Leasing a $699 product for an upfront lease charge of $299 is not really a $400 subsidy. They charge you $60 a year to keep it and they retain ownership. After three years you will have paid $479 and you have no equity. The box will probably still have a value of at least $300, probably more, and it is all Dish's. Not a subsidy at all.

[Edit] I was using a $5 lease fee above, I think it may be $6 now. If so, then after three years you will have paid $515 for a product that Dish still owns. Not a bad deal from Dish's perspective.

Last edited:
Try $12/mo (unless DVR fee is waived via HD Platinum), $144/yr, $731 at 3 years. I'm seriously considering dropping HD Platinum and buying the receiver outright.

If you buy it, you'll still pay $72/yr for the DVR fees, unless you go Platinum.

So it would then be $731 if leased, $915 if purchased.

After 4 years it would be $875 leased, $987 purchased.

Under AEP/Platinum it would be:
3 years: Leased $515, Purchased $699
4 years: Leased $587, Purchased $699

Under both options, purchasing is the better deal, given a residual resale value.

Now if you can get a bit of a discount on a 622, then all the better for the purchase side of the equation.

Even more evidence that there is no subsidy being offered by Dish on the lease deals. Those work out in their favor over the long term, especially with tax considerations and depreciation of assets factored in.

Thanks Tom, I should've seen all that, especially since this is the line of thinking that led me to purchasing the 6000 five years ago. I have some hard thinking to do in the days ahead, if they let me cancel the order, that is.

If it wasn't for the international programming, I would've left E* by now. I may still keep just that and the minimal HD package and shift the balance of my TV budget to Comcast. Their Motorola DVR is decent and the ability to archive recording via firewire is a nice bonus.

Speaking of archiving, can anyone speculate when/if they'll anable the ethernet port on the 622 and what might they allow you to do with it?

I called this morning. I always call the technical support people. If I wait until April I will get a $200 credit to swap out the 942 for the new receiver. This will include installation of a new Dish. I have HBO and Showtime. So with the Gold package my total will be 115.99 a month. Includes lease and DVR fees. We most likely drop HBO and Showtime if we upgrade.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those who purchase still have to pay an 'additional outlet fee' of $4.99 (currently)

So, the number changes for any extra receivers:

Lease: $5 leasing fee, $5 DVR fee = $10/month for each receiver above the 1st
Purchase: $4.99 additional outlet fee, $5 DVR fee = $9.99/month for each receiver above the 1st.

Leasing the 1st receiver is free, IIRC. (I only see "additional receiver" lease fees)

bhchan said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those who purchase still have to pay an 'additional outlet fee' of $4.99 (currently)

So, the number changes for any extra receivers:

Lease: $5 leasing fee, $5 DVR fee = $10/month for each receiver above the 1st
Purchase: $4.99 additional outlet fee, $5 DVR fee = $9.99/month for each receiver above the 1st.

Leasing the 1st receiver is free, IIRC. (I only see "additional receiver" lease fees)

This is all way to convoluted.

I am a NON-HD E* sub. I currently have two 301s (plugged into DVD recorders) and two 311s plugged into TVs. That covers me for recording as I am on the road out of state five days a week.

QUESTION
If I wish to outright purchase two ViP211s, I pay retail (say 2 x $369) PLUS (with the Platinum HD pack) a 2 x $6 additional receiver fee. Correct?????

If I wish to lease two ViP211s, I pay upfront HOW MUCH??? PLUS (with the Platinum HD pack) a 2 x $6 Lease fee. Correct?????

Yeah last time I spoke with a CSR on the 211 that there was not lease fee!

Tom Bombadil said:
Under both options, purchasing is the better deal, given a residual resale value.

Let me tell you one factor you did not taken into account. DVR receivers have hard drive inside. After there years of hard work the risk of hard drive failure is quite big. That risk alone will reduce the value of the receiver. And I am not talking about actual failure which just blows your comparison chart.
Then in three years 250GB hard drive (or 320GB for Vip622?) will be considered as very small size and will again reduce the value of the receiver.
So... I think the lease is much better option after all. Receivers are getting more and more complex and expensive. And a lot of people will select lease program over purchause program. It will become like leasing cars. Every three-four years you switch to barand new car with much more options for the same (close) lease payment. And I like leasing cars. I like lesing HD DVRS too.
As for this upgrade, I probably can live until April when I will upgrade to 622 for $99.

Although there's some validity to what you're saying, I wouldn't say much better. I have a couple of boxes running 24/7, one of them 6 years old, that never had a HD failure. I did have an external drive fail, but that was within a couple of months.

Alternatively, one could get Home Protection to safeguard against that. As for expanding storage space, there's also the option of adding an external USB2 HD, or even replacing the internal drive. In 2-3 years, HD costs would be considerably lower than what they are now.

Edit: I'm not sure how easy E* would make it replacing the internal HD. I don't know if this ability exists with the current E* DVRs.

Last edited:
A few comments.

The typical hard drive now has a MTBF of something like 500,000 hours. Thus it should be a non-issue for the vast majority of new DVRs being sold.

If Dish does not charge one a lease fee, and people have reported that sometimes they haven't, then obviously the lease option is a very good deal and Dish is subsidizing it.

The secondary access fee of $5 is only relevant if one is using more than one receiver. I believe it is charged regardless if the additional receiver is leased or purchased, but I could be wrong. I used to be charged the extra $5 when I had two receivers, both leased. Now I have only a single, two-tuner receiver. I'm not aware of any charge that is specifically charged to receivers that are owned, excepting for the $6/mon fee to someone who owns a HD receiver but does not subscribe to HD programming.

Bradtothebone said:
What are the Plans "A," "B," and "C" that they refer to at the bottom of the 1st page?

I haven't seen this answered yet and was wondering the same, Scott do you know what these are?

I know that I could call E* but with everything going on there right now....I am not sure how accurate the info would be from the CSR's or even Tech support.

Seems that there is a lease fee now for the 1st receiver. I was a DHA customer with a single 811, upgraded to a ViP211. Now that my "Recent Activity" has updated on the E* website, I'm seeing a lease fee that never was there before. Called E* and they say that under the terms of DIU, ALL receivers, including the 1st are now subject to the lease fee. After doing a DIU upgrade, you're no longer a DHA customer and so no longer have the first receiver lease fee included in the package price. This was NOT explained on the phone and was NOT made clear in the several minute long recording I had to listen to. Needless to say, I'm not happy at all.

Excuse my asking as simple questions, but I couldn't find the answer and there have been so many threads and posts this week that my head is spinning. Anyway, does the Dish'n It Up promotion provide you with free DHPP along with your 18 month commitment?

Thanks!

Last edited:
To Good To Be True?

I can't seem to find this subject in a search I did. Will Dish allow me to participate in the Dishn' It Up program and the April 1st rebate program this year? I have a 921 and a 721 and want two 622's. Is it to good to be true that I will get two 622's for $398.Thanks for any answers.

jack byron said:
I can't seem to find this subject in a search I did. Will Dish allow me to participate in the Dishn' It Up program and the April 1st rebate program this year? I have a 921 and a 721 and want two 622's. Is it to good to be true that I will get two 622's for $398.Thanks for any answers.
You can only replace one of your receivers ($299 for the 721 or $99 for the 921 after 1 April) under the Dish'n It Up program. You will have to wait 12 months in order to upgrade the 2nd receiver under the Dish'n It Up promotion or purchase a 2nd 622 outright.

I'm still wondering if DHPP will be covered free-of-charge in exchange for an 18 month committment?

riffjim4069 said:
I'm still wondering if DHPP will be covered free-of-charge in exchange for an 18 month committment?

Good Question!

So I'm sitting here, wondering what's on my local PBS station in HD as I no longer have any OTA guide info because I cancelled my locals, all HD and a couple of receivers in a vain, stupid 942 RECENT OWNER protest, and I noticed I hadn't called E* for at least a week to check on the status of my replacement HDMI cable for my 942.

Whilst getting the "We DID send the e-mail to the 942 team" excuse from advanced tech, I axed that very question.

According to the fellow I talked to AND his Supervisor, you'd better count on Ponying up another $5.99 after 90-days. Unless, of course, you trust E*'s electronics puttin' together ability, which I'm sure you do.

I really think someone should get a REAL answer to this really good question.

I'd follow up, but there's this really great Gardening Show on...

Maybe this has been answered, maybe not. If it has, I apologize in advance.

Just got off the phone with a CSR, and she told me that Dish is advising their customers to hold off on upgrading, specifically, to the 622 until Apr 1st, and it'll cost $99 to lease instead of the $299 it is now. Now, was I just fed a line of bull or is this legit? All that I've been reading, the only way to get that $200 rebate is if you were upgrading from a 921 or 942 (and I currently have an 811). If I was misinformed and it'll be $299 no matter what, I'll be calling back again and get the upgrade now.

BoisePaul said:
Seems that there is a lease fee now for the 1st receiver. I was a DHA customer with a single 811, upgraded to a ViP211. Now that my "Recent Activity" has updated on the E* website, I'm seeing a lease fee that never was there before. Called E* and they say that under the terms of DIU, ALL receivers, including the 1st are now subject to the lease fee. After doing a DIU upgrade, you're no longer a DHA customer and so no longer have the first receiver lease fee included in the package price. This was NOT explained on the phone and was NOT made clear in the several minute long recording I had to listen to. Needless to say, I'm not happy at all.

You're right. I just called to go over my current charges and the CSR tolde me that they are charging for all the receivers now under DHA. So the first receiver isn't included in the package price anymore. It's another $5.00 to Dish Network. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)