DISHONLINE ISSUES

NAT KEEP ALIVE WILL NOT WORK unless you then relay *EVERYTHING* through dish ...

Google "UDP hole punching" or "peer to peer across NAT." With Dish arbitrating the connection, UPnP and open ports generally should not be required with most router/firewalls.

Some firewalls are too strict for this to work, but it usually works. The technique is used by many products these days. I haven't traced the Dish traffic out, but always assumed Dish was using this technique.

I can say you do not always need UPnP, open ports, or DMZ mode. I have none of that enabled on either of my networks and Sling works fine across both, so Dish is either relaying the the stream or using hole punching.

This is over-simplified but the general flow:

Reciever connects to Dish.
NAT keep alive tells Dish where the reciever is located.
The client connects to Dish and asks to connect to the receiver.
Dish tells receiver to start UDP session.
Dish analyzes UDP packet looking for unusual port randomization, etc.
If all OK, Dish tells receiver to send the client a UDP packet on port XXXX.
Router/firewall sets up UDP session and starts looking for responses from client.
Dish tells the client to send the receiver a "response" with proper port info.
Client send UDP "response" firewall is already looking for it and routes to the receiver.
Two way session between client and receiver is now established across NAT.

Google "UDP hole punching" or "peer to peer across NAT." With Dish arbitrating the connection, UPnP and open ports generally should not be required with most router/firewalls.
And ... they aren't using UDP. :)

Did they at one point? probably? possibly? ... maybe that's what they did wrong with the IPVOD update or from back with DishOnline go live.. unfortunately I don't have a capture from that long ago ... but any time I attempt captures now its always TCP I see, not UDP. (DRA & DO, haven't tried Sling Stand Alone in a long time)

And ... they aren't using UDP. :)

The stream is definately UDP when I connect from the office using firefox.

capture.JPG

Well it got even *more* interesting.. Firefox for me did UDP ... But IE is does TCP

iexplore.exe 2456 TCP X.va.comcast.net. 3396 X 5102 ESTABLISHED 2 264 22,114 93,985,489

also IE works with DishOnline for me to start DVR events ... Live TV is all that I could get to display regularly in Firefox.

IE ...
tcpview.JPG

AHhhhh .. but then after I stopped IE, started FF ... It came up as TCP again ... so ... *it* couldn't do UDP the second time .. defaulted back to TCP which is the more reliable protocol

FF
tcpview2.JPG

Well it got even *more* interesting.. Firefox for me did UDP ... But IE is does TCP
Do you have the port open? If so it probably is connecting directly. Why go through the maneuvers if it doesn't have to?

I consistently get the same UDP connection under both browsers when connecting from separate nets (had to install the IE plug in to test).

Having the ports open should not be necessary in most instances as long as DO/DRA is arbitrating.

I have UPnP disabled, no open ports, no DMZ nonsense and Sling consistently(95+%) works fine. For those with problems any of the those steps are good for debugging or as work arounds, but should not be generally needed. No doubt there are problem routers where they are necessary.

It also appears Dish will fall back to relaying the stream if necessary. I ran a test tonight with client and receiver on separate networks firewalled from each other, but behind the same NAT address. DO must have thought it couldn't establish the p2p connection and the stream was was relayed through the amazon cloud.

I think the Live TV only vs DVR issue is just DO stupidity. I get the same its OK this session, hosed the next session whether I use IE or Firefox, locally or remotely.

In my case .. UPnP open .. static DHCP for two different 722k's, each with sling .. without UPnP I had port forward setup .. and every other time I connected I'd have issues ... for what ever reason I would see the opposite port getting directed to the opposite receiver.

ie.. 5101 i'd setup for receiver 1 ... and when I'd check its ID string on Sling's servers, it would show receiver 2 is on 5101 .. and receiver one on 5102 ...

With UPnP open .. and letting 722's do it for themselves ... I've had pretty much zero trouble with sling other than when there's a site issue (DO has been unusable in one form or another as far as slinging since May for me, but DRA always consistant)

seriously... tonight was *the* first time I've *ever* seen either use UDP ... the log file always showed it was listening .. but it never showed up in any network view as UDP till this evening with FF .. and just that once.. And the only port that's ever been shown as opened was TCP 5101/5102.

After several months of no issues, I am once again having these exact same issues. I can watch live TV on both my iPad and my PC, but cannot watch recordings on my DVR through DishOnline. My 2Wire router is set up in DMZ mode as discussed earlier in this thread. In fact after I set it up in DMZ mode it worked fine until a few days ago. Is anyone else having this issue?

You're not alone, clearly there are issue with RA and DO. I have had limited success since getting the Hopper. PTAT will only play intermittently and the live programming is clunky at best. Hopefully this is just a hiccup.

And where is Dish with all this? Well, they are focused on their newest debacle the "FLOPPER" and the rest of us be D----d. I still say the complexity of the software which runs most of todays devices has exceeded the ability of the code writers to understand it, or the willingness of companies to spend the money to get it right. I take the latter!
Michael

After several months of no issues, I am once again having these exact same issues. I can watch live TV on both my iPad and my PC, but cannot watch recordings on my DVR through DishOnline. My 2Wire router is set up in DMZ mode as discussed earlier in this thread. In fact after I set it up in DMZ mode it worked fine until a few days ago. Is anyone else having this issue?
The 2wires aren't exclusive customer devices ... by that I mean half of it is the ISP side, other half customer side ... in such a case, the ISP could have made a modification (updates) and that could have caused problems.

Where you can, you should keep notes on the version strings (usually in an "about" or "status" screen, if not displayed openly on multiple screens) so that if you see the version has changed on *either* half of the device (isp / home router) and lastly, you can reset to factory, and re-set-up the DMZ to make sure anything that might have changed without notice is cared for.

I am a strong opponent to "combo" modem/firewall devices.. its supposed to be the best of both worlds, but all it usually turns out to be is the cheaper of the two worlds married together, and with the slightest problem comes agony.

Alternatively, bridge the 2wire, and get a good (medium to higher end and new) firewall/router ... check on line for the model and then look for any UPnP complaints or "strict mode" issues ... you'll commonly see such things referred to with Xbox Live and PS3's because those are far more prevalent in homes, than are users of Sling Boxes and Sling Adapters, and the complaints from those devices (xbox / ps3) are the same UPnP not working, not passing inbound traffic properly, etc.. all of which the Sling Adapter and the WebSlingPlayer rely upon.

Any advice on how to bridge the 2wire and can you be more specific as to what brand and model of firewall/router you would use if you were having this issue? I have always used Linksys routers (WRT54GL) with no issues. Thanks!

You'll need to Google: bridge 2wire dsl
One such hit: Configuring 2Wire as a Bridge « Ivan Torres (mexpolk)

it also depends on your 2wire model .. so re-run the google search with the longer parts of the model number (look at the sticker for the longer model number) .. here's another ... 2Wire 2700HG-B Bridge Mode with Linksys WRT54GL - 2Wire | DSLReports Forums

though I would point out ... the forth post down .. and this is more for the people that ask "why" since they think the 2wire is "just a modem"
reply to Gnarlodious
The 2Wire is a router (and a DSL modem, and a firewall, and a WAP). SOHO routers do not do well when connected directly to each other (never mind the brand). The pain in the neck with bridge mode is that authentication needs to be handled externally. It is not unheard of for folks to have trouble making bridge mode work.

As to the 54G/GL a good alternative is to run DD-WRT on it ... and this will give you proof positive that ports are opened for UPnP as the standard builds of DD-WRT will show you a list of ports it opened.

Take the model revision off the bottom of the router (v1 v1.1 v2) and check the amount of memory .. I'm currently using an E2100L (cisco/linksys) with dd-wrt rev 17201 without any serious issues (though I tried using QOS and it failed miserably for me)

System Router Name Linksys E2100L
Router Model Linksys E2100L
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/14/11) std - build 17201

Last edited:
TG2: Thanks for the advice. I checked and the sling adapter was not set up to DMZplus. I know for a fact it was several months ago. I reset it to DMSplus mode and it’s been working perfectly for a few days now! Any idea how the security settings got reset and how to prevent this from happening again? For now I think I will leave it as it is, instead of setting up another router and changing the 2Wire to Bridge Mode. Thanks again for all the advice!

Its hard to say .. if you check the "about" and "status" pages.. maybe there was a change pushed by the ISP that caused a reset ... or DMZPlus mode wasn't holding for the respective "client" device (the ip of dish receiver) ... and I'd hope that one of those screens would signify an update (benign) or something was done ..

If not it just means having to suspect the device is slipping its mind .. :)

I tried to find the "about" and "status" pages but could not on the 2Wire....
there's so many versions ... 2Wire themselves will customize for nearly any company.. some older some newer
example: http://thecentershot.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/screen-shot-2011-05-12-at-8-22-21-pm1.png
another: http://frii.com/support_images/kb-1226-2wire-03.gif

and just the overall gui .. from "text on web page" to full graphical "look at me I'm new styled" garbage.. :) they just can't set them up standard.. the big boys want something to distinguish *their* 2wire 2700 from qwest's or VZ's .. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)