Do I need a new dish to get a HR34-700?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

forsberg21

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
PA
Howdy everyone. I have a HR24-500 currently. I only have 1 DVR in the house and all I really want from the upgrade to the HR34 is the PIP. So, would I need a new SWM dish to go with the HR34 or am I already good to go?

If your HR24 has two coax cables going into it from the dish, then you will need a new dish, or at least a new LNB. If there is only one coax cable going into your HR24 and you can use both tuners (watch one channel while recording another) then you have the SWM LNB that you need.

depends on what you have. do you currently have a slimline? having an hr24 it SHOULD be a slimline. Is there already an sl3s or sl5s swm lnb? if you already have a swm lnb you should be all set. if you have an sl3 or sl5 with built in multiswitch you will need to convert to swm.

forsberg21, push the - key, the lower left key on the remote. If you have a swm setup, it will tell you.

Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I have a Slimline 5 dish according to the info. But I have 2 tuners in the back of the DVR. Does this mean I need to get a LNB? By the way, what does LNB stand for?

low noise block converter....and if both coaxial inputs have wires going to them you will need a new lnb

Darn!!! Thanks for the quick answer. It looks like a single wire LNB goes for $100. Is a new HR34-700 still around $400 "to lease" or are they lower than that now?

Here is a better question...can I put a new SL5S LNB onto my satellite dish myself or is that something a tech should do? And since I have 2 tuners, I assume I would have 2 coax cables running from the dish, so if I can do it myself, would it matter what coax cable I could continue to use from the dish to the DVR or I could use either one?

I guess I am wondering if this is an easy process, because getting to my DVR is not an easy thing to do, as evidenced by this pic (my DVR is in the middle on the bottom shelf, behind the center speaker):

044-1.jpg

Here is a better question...can I put a new SL5S LNB onto my satellite dish myself or is that something a tech should do? And since I have 2 tuners, I assume I would have 2 coax cables running from the dish, so if I can do it myself, would it matter what coax cable I could continue to use from the dish to the DVR or I could use either one?

I guess I am wondering if this is an easy process, because getting to my DVR is not an easy thing to do, as evidenced by this pic (my DVR is in the middle on the bottom shelf, behind the center speaker):

044-1.jpg

It's easy enough to install a new lnb. You will also need a 21 volt power inserter. It provides power to the swm type lnb. Either cable you are using now is fine, but it matters which input you use on the dvr. The correct one is marked swm input, or something like that. You can get a swm lnb and power inserter from eBay for cheap. Here's one for about $40. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRECTV-LNB...ellite_LNB_Downconverters&hash=item337dcb542d If you are only connecting one dvr you don't need to install the splitter.

It's easy enough to install a new lnb. You will also need a 21 volt power inserter. It provides power to the swm type lnb. Either cable you are using now is fine, but it matters which input you use on the dvr. The correct one is marked swm input, or something like that. You can get a swm lnb and power inserter from eBay for cheap. Here's one for about $40. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRECTV-LNB...ellite_LNB_Downconverters&hash=item337dcb542d If you are only connecting one dvr you don't need to install the splitter.

So that will work with a SL5S dish on a HR 34? I only ask because it doesn't say it will work with a HR34 and it says it is for a LNB SWM 3? I understand the part about the 21V Power Inserter, but I am a little weary of what the ad states.

I like the price, so I may I need to shop around a bit more. But when it comes to installation, I may have a tech do it since I have the protection plan. My HR24 has been very buggy lately, and my 2 yr commitment ends in the first week of December. I plan to try to see if they will offer me a credit to replace the HR24 with a HR34 (I did get them to do this when I switched out my HR20 for the HR 24 2 yrs ago) so I can use that to lease out the new HR34. I am willing to pay for whatever the difference ends up being to get it up and running (i.e the 21V power inserter, new LNB, etc...) but a credit for the HR34 itself would get me to bite, even if I have to re-commit for another 2 years, as I don't plan to ever leave DirecTv.

There are two types of swm lnbs, a SL5S, and SL3S. Either will work with an HR34, but only these two will. The SL3S gets the 99, 101, and 103 satellites. The SL5S gets those plus the 110 and 119 satellite. There are sd locals and a few other channels on 119, there is nothing at this time on 110.

Bringing this thread back to life guys. :) So, If i have 2 coax lines currently running into my HR24-500, and I get the free upgrade to the Genie (hopefully the HR44), I would also need a single line LNB and a power inserter in this scenario, correct? If so, with the free upgrade to the Genie, would the new LNB and power inserter be part of the deal with the Genie? I plan to have a tech come out since I have the protection plan (a tech would come out right or would I have to do all this on my own?), and was wondering if they have all the equipment I would need to get it up and running, or if I had to get some things on my own?

If you are upgrading through Directv, they will supply whatever equipment you need.

Well, I checked my set up and I do have 2 cables running into the house, so I will need the single SWM LNB and the power inserter I assume. Anyway, I called and got what I wanted. I took them up on the free upgrade offer (due to having the protection plan) and the tech will come out on Sept 3rd with the Genie and any necessary other equipment to get the DVR up and running (at least this is what I was told.) I will send back the HR24-500, as I only have 1 TV. But get this,they also took off roughly $48 a month from my bill (I have the Premier Acct.) The fees waived were: $5 paperless billing/$10 sports package/$10 Advanced Receiver DVR/$5 HBO/$5 Showtime/$5 Starz/$5 Cinemax/$3 for Whole Home DVR fee. PLUS, ............they gave me Sunday Ticket for free (with Red Zone Channel) as well!!!

Not bad huh? The waived fees ( at least $40 of them) will last for 6 months and save me roughly a total of around $300 within the next 12 months total (throw in Sunday Ticket and that total would be around $600!!!) I am one happy camper, thank you DirecTV!!!!

I do have another question......I have 2 lines running into my house from the dish (I have an HR24-500) and there are 2 lines running into my DVR, I understand I need a single line SWM LNB and probably a power inserter (is a power inserter needed?) My question is...can the tech still use one of the two current cables running from the dish to into the house that already exisit into my soon to be HR34 (praying for a HR44?)

Should be able to use one of them unless the cables are old...

Thanks. They appear to be in good shape and are RG6, so it should make everything much easier for the tech, as I planned to have my HR24-500 unplugged and out of the way before he gets here. My window is between 4-8PM on Sept 3rd, so the quicker he gets this done, the happier we both will be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts