Do you think, that someday, maybe in the distant future that satellite will carry all subchannels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
blame the owner, Nexstar. They don't like doing subchannels unless they have to. WFFF did have MeTV until they lost the rights

WFFF used to be a Fox and WB affiliate (and briefly CW), airing the WB/CW at 10pm. That was a long time ago though...

In the Seattle DMA we've got KVOS 12 which is a full power MeTV primary affiliate -- not sure how many of those there are, but D* and E* carry this one.

Luckily at my new place I have free lifeline Comcast with my rent and a lifetime Tivo Premiere from a 18 month "vacation" I had to take from D* at my last place due to LOS issues -- so I get all the subchannels. My Tivo Premiere is my "classic TV, CBC & On Demand services I can't get with my D* Tivo-box"...

Honestly I can say the only things I really record off them are on MeTV (which I can get on D*) and COZI TV, which is the one I actually prefer... COZI is probably the closest to "how TV Land used to be". It's a fairly new addition here; it's the 5th subchannel of a Spanish & Korean multi-cultural station.

What I think will show up on satellite before the subchannels are the regional news channels like the NorthWest Cable News network. E* already carries it, and D* could too -- they could plop it up once on either the Seattle or Portland spot beam which are basically the same size and cover all of Washington, Oregon, and the same western chunk of Idaho that NWCN covers. I'm surprised that D* didn't get it -- it was the retrans issue involving Belo the last time around... Either D* somehow talked them out of it, or are paying a bit more than E* for KING, KGW, and the stations in the Tri Cities and Boise that make up their "network".

There are probably 15-20 of these news networks that are owned by the stations and not the cable system -- and that would be fair game and an easy add for the satellite companies.
N

So I did a professional install of an am21 and batting last week... first one in a long time.. when all was said and done I was only able to pickup the ABC affiliate. ... having 4 am21s myself I figured something went wrong since I get all Ota and subs.... a quick trip to antennaweb.org and I see that this town can only get ABC and it's one sub based on zip code. If we would contract more subnets it would fix tht problem too

I think the thread is mixing two situations:
1.Where a subchannel carries "national" programming, like MeTV for example. In that case, DirecTv could certainly carry MeTV as a single national channel, but I think they are unlikely to carry every local subchannel that carries MeTV. And the local licensee of MeTv is unlikely to want to give up the ad revenue, however small that is.
2. Subchannels that carry "unique" programming, not available nationally. There I suspect DirecTV will only consider carriage if the programming has a wide potential audience, which most of them don't. I know I saw one analysis of DFW which showed many of the subchannels had an audience too small to measure.

I actually had a cm ask me about metv just the other day. He said he got it with dtv in NJ but the locals here in NE PA don't include it. I found out its a sub of the cw here.. 38.3 I believe it was. Told the guy order an antenna and am21 if he really wanted it. He declined.

I actually had a cm ask me about metv just the other day. He said he got it with dtv in NJ but the locals here in NE PA don't include it.
If he had Philly locals then yes there is a full power MeTV affiliate
KJWP channel 2. Licensed to Wilmington, DE

I think the thread is mixing two situations:
1.Where a subchannel carries "national" programming, like MeTV for example. In that case, DirecTv could certainly carry MeTV as a single national channel, but I think they are unlikely to carry every local subchannel that carries MeTV. And the local licensee of MeTv is unlikely to want to give up the ad revenue, however small that is.
2. Subchannels that carry "unique" programming, not available nationally. There I suspect DirecTV will only consider carriage if the programming has a wide potential audience, which most of them don't. I know I saw one analysis of DFW which showed many of the subchannels had an audience too small to measure.
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY

We have MeTV as part of our Directv locals here in the chi also, and it' is a OTA subchannel(w/am21) here for
WCIU-TV Ch 26 The U as Ch 26-3
there's 4 subchannels to The U here all sister stations besides Bounce TV.

For anybody that don't have Metv as Directv locals and can't get it as OTA, or don't have OTA integration with Directv receiver with AM21, you can go to the Metv website and watch full episodes of classic TV shows

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)