Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Get rid of many of these ads and be part of our community! Registration is FREE!

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!

'Doctor Who' 50th Anniversary to be Simulcast Internationally

Discussion in 'Cable and Satellite Networks' started by dfergie, Jul 26, 2013.

1. dfergie

dfergie Thread Starter Proud Staff Member Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

Top Poster Of Month

The BBC has announced today that the episode will be simulcast around the world to try and cut down on the number of spoilers leaking onto the Internet after its initial U.K. broadcast.

Source & More: hollywoodreporter.com

Advertisements Register Today!

Reigster at SatelliteGuys
  2. Cire

Cire Member

That seems to make sense. I just hope they don't put it on during a week night because I don't feel like losing out on sleep. If I just DVR it then everything will be ruined the moment I step into work. So, lose lose there. Am excited about the whole thing though. woohoo.
  3. dangue

dangue Pub Member / Supporter Pub Member / Supporter

I don't see how this will work. The time zone difference between England and the US means that it'll fall outside of prime time somewhere. So they'll be cannibalizing ratings (unless its during a weekend). But a daytime premiere will likely still hurt ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
  4. osu1991

osu1991 SatelliteGuys Family

Perhaps everyone could have read the article. ;)
    Saturday November 23rd. 7pm UK time and US times 11am PDT, 12pm MDT, 1pm CDT, and 2pm EDT.

I'm sure they'll replay it during each regions normal primetime too, as that simulcast time is around 3 or 4 am Australia time.
  5. Foxbat

Foxbat Addicted to new HW Supporting Founder

That is after Daylight Saving Time ends in the US, so I wonder if the UK will be off Summertime by then?

Just give it to us in UTC or GMT...

Edit: osu1991 added the "D"; here's the actual text from the article:
    I think the best bet will be to wait until the 16th of November and look in your DVR's Guide for the program to get the right time.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  6. osu1991

oops you're right I forgot about DST ending and the UK goes off British Summer Time on October 27 and back to GMT.
  7. Foxbat

I like the graphic BBC came up with for the 50th Anniversary (mods can take it down if this is an inappropriate cut-n-paste).

Attached Files:

8. osu1991

I like that graphic too, rumors are that Paul McGann has filmed a webisode as the 8th Doctor to air as a prequel online leading up to and tying into the 50th special.
  9. Derwin0

Derwin0 SatelliteGuys Guru Pub Member / Supporter

I liked it much better during the 25th anniversary when we got it 2 days earlier :D

PBS showed it Thursday night (the actual anniversary), while BBC didn't show it until Saturday. It was my first view of the 5th Doctor, as GPT hadn't picked up Davidson's package yet, and was still doing Tom Baker.
  10. Foxbat

We might be dating ourselves remembering past Doctors. :eek:

When we got cable TV back in the 1970s, I got introduced to the third Doctor on WTTW out of Chicago. My friend across the street had a TV tower and I'd go over there to watch WGN (snow and motor interference and ghosts notwithstanding), but after we got cable, the tower was toast! We'd watch Doctor Who Sunday night (Monty Python, too!) and talk about the Doctor's latest hijinks Monday at school.

I remember seeing both Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker so WTTW must have been showing them shortly after BBC aired them. I had a thing for Romanadvoratrelundar and was really bummed when she regenerated into the blond Romana.
  11. mike123abc

mike123abc SatelliteGuys Guru Supporting Founder

November is still a long wait! I wonder when the Christmas episode will air?
  12. osu1991

It should air Christmas Day

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!
  13. lfp302

lfp302 Member Pub Member / Supporter

Looking at my DVR lists, there's been a 12/25 episode 2005 through 2012 except for 2009--I wonder if there was one that

I haven't caught yet.
  14. Derwin0

That would have been part 1 of the end of time, tennant's swan song
  15. lfp302

lfp302 Member Pub Member / Supporter

Aaah, there it is - thanks
  16. dfergie

Top Poster Of Month

BBC Unveils 'Doctor Who' 50th Anniversary TV, Radio Programming Lineup

It also said that Matt Smith has started filming his final scenes as Doctor Who, which will air in this year's Christmas episode.

hollywoodreporter.com
  17. dfergie

Top Poster Of Month

The BBC is going all out for Doctor Who‘s 50th birthday, unveiling a list of programs to mark the occasion and revealing the poster that goes with the November 23rd BBC One special, The Day Of The Doctor. The 75-minute movie will star exiting Time Lord Matt Smith, as well as Doctor Who No. 10 David Tennant, along with John Hurt, Jenna Coleman and Billie Piper.

deadline.com
  18. Pepper

Pepper DVR Addict~Mad Scientist Supporting Founder

3D available only on UK OTA, and in theatres?
  19. osu1991

Better enjoy the 50th special and the Xmas episode. They don't start filming the new season with Peter Capaldi until January for a fall 2014 airing
  20. Derwin0

Good time to catch up on some classic episodes. I usually like to watch some during the off seasons. Did Hartnell & Troughton earlier this year, so might do Pertwee in 2014.

Plan to watch The Three Doctors & The Five Doctors before the 50th special. Think I'll skip Dimensions In Time though.