Does Dish not cave in to cancellation requests any more?

Your not doing anyone any favors NOT asking for a discount.

If any cable or satellite company really appreciated you as a customer then they would be reaching out to you offering discounts retroactively.

If you can get a discount, get it.

Also, there is a formula that they use to determine what discounts you get and when to stop giving them out
I have said this since I became a member here.

Reactions: WiCkeDuDe
dish knew the big fee increase would cost them subs and they didnt care.

lost me as a customer for life 5 bucks to 17 means we dont wantyou
I agree Bob that the change in 2010 to the miscellaneous catch all fees based on class of receivers was wrong. To go from $5.00 or $6.00 for a dvr to $17.00 was clearly outrageous and caused a lot of churn. I had three 622/722 receivers back then and had to trade in two of them for two 211ks to escape the ridiculous $17.00 fees. This one move proved to me that DISH was not in for the customer any longer and was just trying to make as much money as they could off the existing sub base. This is when they stopped growing as a company and started shrinking just about every quarter since. They haven't learned from this mistake and have repeated it since with the hopper class of receivers. First in 2012 it was $7.00 for the original hopper then in 2014 it was $10.00 for the hopper with sling and now in 2016 it is $15.00 for the dvr fee on the hopper 3. But now there is little need for a second hopper if you have a 16 tuner hopper 3. At least the joeys have stayed at the $7.00 rate .....for now.

I agree Bob that the change in 2010 to the miscellaneous catch all fees based on class of receivers was wrong. To go from $5.00 or $6.00 for a dvr to $17.00 was clearly outrageous and caused a lot of churn. I had three 622/722 receivers back then and had to trade in two of them for two 211ks to escape the ridiculous $17.00 fees. This one move proved to me that DISH was not in for the customer any longer and was just trying to make as much money as they could off the existing sub base. This is when they stopped growing as a company and started shrinking just about every quarter since. They haven't learned from this mistake and have repeated it since with the hopper class of receivers. First in 2012 it was $7.00 for the original hopper then in 2014 it was $10.00 for the hopper with sling and now in 2016 it is $15.00 for the dvr fee on the hopper 3. But now there is little need for a second hopper if you have a 16 tuner hopper 3. At least the joeys have stayed at the $7.00 rate .....for now.
Yep, I remember that. I had four VIP 722ks. That was a big price increase.

I find myself a tad embarrassed to ask for such discounts at all, much less threaten to cancel. Do you threaten to cancel, or ask for "loyalty discounts"? Do you have to call, or will chat work as well?
I have what is essentially the AEP with 2 H2Ks and a Joey. I've been with Dish since 2010. I have gotten discounts of about $25 a month for the last 2.5 years by just calling, noting that my latest 6 month discount is ending, and asking if there are any new ones that I'm eligible for. My latest is half off the 4 premiums and Sports Pkg which ends in August. They always seem to have something for me.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I have what is essentially the AEP with 2 H2Ks and a Joey. I've been with Dish since 2010. I have gotten discounts of about $25 a month for the last 2.5 years by just calling, noting that my latest 6 month discount is ending, and asking if there are any new ones that I'm eligible for. My latest is half off the 4 premiums and Sports Pkg which ends in August. They always seem to have something for me.

just for the record, at the time of the big rip off fee increase dish quit offering nearly all discounts

reps hand were tied, charlie lost me completely.

he turned over management to the suits and they added the sub fees to return leased boxes.

that gave departing customers another reason to hate dish

I agree Bob that the change in 2010 to the miscellaneous catch all fees based on class of receivers was wrong.
Yeah! People with one receiver should subsidize the people that have to have a receiver at every tv in their home.

And let's not forget that no other sat/cable company charges a dime for their receivers. Only Dish does that.

Reactions: satjay and navychop
just for the record, at the time of the big rip off fee increase dish quit offering nearly all discounts

reps hand were tied, charlie lost me completely.

he turned over management to the suits and they added the sub fees to return leased boxes.

that gave departing customers another reason to hate dish
Anybody see those slingtv commercials where they talk about greedy unreasonable tv providers?

you received those same discounts as a new customer
I didn't . But then again I joined in 1997 and installed my own equipment from Echostar using a toy compass!! Then everything was about 65% cheaper!! Dish has given me
a loyalty award of some kind just about every year. No big deal. I have stuck with them thru thick and thin and never looked back.

I didn't . But then again I joined in 1997 and installed my own equipment from Echostar using a toy compass!! Then everything was about 65% cheaper!! Dish has given me
a loyalty award of some kind just about every year. No big deal. I have stuck with them thru thick and thin and never looked back.
Same year I came on board. January 18 1997. I have installed all my receivers since 2003 when I learned how to do it from this website. Also learned how to aim , peak a sat dish and have continued to learn about satellite installing the latest cutting edge receivers from the satguys website. I think that having 3 accounts, owning all my receivers and doing all the installs has helped me to get credits off every year too. I just wish I had started asking from them sooner than I did back 2011. Can't wait to get my new hopper 3 installed , as soon as they stabilize it and fix the ota part. Then I am all in.

Yeah! People with one receiver should subsidize the people that have to have a receiver at every tv in their home.

And let's not forget that no other sat/cable company charges a dime for their receivers. Only Dish does that.

My local cable company, RCN, has the following monthly equipment charges:
TiVo T6 ................................................................................. $39.95
TiVo Quad Whole Home Bundle ....................................... $29.99
TiVo Quad Stand Alone ...................................................... $24.95
Additional TiVo Outlets ........................................................ $9.95
TiVo Premiere Converter ................................................... $17.95
Additional TiVo Premiere Converters ............................... $12.95
DVR Converter ..................................................................... $15.95
High-Definition Converter .................................................. $14.95
Digital Converter .................................................................. $11.00
Cable Card .............................................................................. $1.50

TiVo T6 ................................................................................. $39.95
TiVo Quad Stand Alone ...................................................... $24.95
Additional TiVo Outlets ........................................................ $9.95
TiVo Premiere Converter ................................................... $17.95
DVR Converter ..................................................................... $15.95
High-Definition Converter .................................................. $14.95
Digital Converter .................................................................. $11.00
Cable Card .............................................................................. $1.50

Those are some pretty steep charges.....

And cable wonders why they are losing subs faster than satellite. It's the stupid High FEES!

It'd be great if Dish or another provider did something like the Boost Mobile plans where you get additional data for paying your bill on time, and $5/month off for using autopay. The Dish equivalent should be, for every 3 months you pay your bill on time, you get one or two extra channels - these could be picked from the list of channels that do a bunch of free previews anyway, and would be a "loyal customer extended free preview" - or maybe for every year you are with Dish, you can get HBO for $1 per year less than the regular price - so if you're with Dish long enough you'd get HBO for free. Something like that.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)