Does using the D* abbrevation bother you?

Does it bother you for people to type D* instead of DirecTV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
It depends on the context. around here DTV means Digital TV not DirecTV but DTV is the ticker symbol for DirecTV so in financial circles it clearly means DirecTV.

When we had a separate financial forum I asked folks what they preferred and they had no problem with using a different set of acronyms there.

It is usually pretty clear what is meant.

They'll do anything over there to take the heat off of their underperforming (other than the "HEY LOOK MORE HD!!!)(but our hardware still sucks) unoffical site partner, D*. :(

SOP. When they come right out and say that their main aim is to make money, they lost me. Its okay to make money, but I bet 90 percent of messageboards on the web don't, and they don't care if they do. Long as the bills are paid. :up

Again, which is why I pay to be here and not there. Well, there's the FTA section here...that helps....:D

I don't care either way but I've always thought D* was silly. There's no star at all in Directv only Primestar and Echostar do. Case of Directv people wanting to be like the other two I guess.

or to D* or to E*, that is the question. :D :D

(I seriously don't care about the acronyms. We use lots of them. The only thing is it confuses newbies. i.e., "I have Dish Network, why on earth is it E*?" ;) But I agree with Scott, part of the lexicon. )

I haven't checked, but if it is not in the "Glossary" it could be added so that when the new guys look for info they will see the abbrv. for D* and E* in there.

See there, I even abbreviated abrev. and used the D* and E* words all in the same post!!!

Will I be banned now ???

Jimbo

I don't care either way but I've always thought D* was silly. There's no star at all in Directv only Primestar and Echostar do. Case of Directv people wanting to be like the other two I guess.

Ok, would you rather it look like this:

Directv*
Echostar*

Would that make you happy.
Directv* can add the * now because they have the most HD available !

Jimbo

The point is it isn't Directvstar. It's Directv. I see no star in the name and find it dumb to use D*. Too each their own, I use Directv and have no problem with people using D* if they want.

The point is it isn't Directvstar. It's Directv. I see no star in the name and find it dumb to use D*. Too each their own, I use Directv and have no problem with people using D* if they want.

Basically I think people do it because it's quick and simple and others know what it means.
I don't perticularly like to spell out Directv if I don't need to.

We are now in a "Right Now " society.

I always read it began because at a time people were saying that by typing the entire names (Dish Network and DirecTV) might lead to a lawsuit for printing their names without permission. I think this was at a time when hacking was super-rampant and they were looking to tee off on ANY website posting ANY info on them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR 21 networked, need phone line

NESN HD in the standard HD package?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)