Downgrading package and Free HD for Life?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tranceFusion

Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Frederick, MD
I signed up for the Ultimate package at the start of the NFL season. My 5th bill has been paid and I am ready to downgrade. I seem to remember stipulations about Free HD for Life (something like a minimum of Choice Xtra and auto pay required) if I downgrade. I can't find this written everywhere - the terms for new users seem different, and none of my paperwork I got when signing up or my monthly bill defines those stipulations.

So, does anyone know what they are? Or where I can find a written copy of my agreement?

Also, what is the best time to downgrade so I don't get hit with a month of the Ultimate package at full cost? Can I downgrade for next month in advance? Or do they pro-rate the change when you make it?

1. We do prorate it so you could end up paying more if you cancel early on the free package.

2. the free HD and the package you have to have really depends on the date your order was placed for the service. as the free hd for life promo changed quite a bit over the last 7 months.

1. We do prorate it so you could end up paying more if you cancel early on the free package.

So you prorate downwards too? So if I called a few days into my next cycle, it won't charge me the whole month?

2. the free HD and the package you have to have really depends on the date your order was placed for the service. as the free hd for life promo changed quite a bit over the last 7 months.

How do I find out what *I* have to have?

I was called and was given that offer last year. Don't call until the day before the premier package is no longer free. Look on your bill for the ending date, it should say. Otherwise... my bill went from about $70 to about $115, because when I downgraded, THAT package was charged from when I called. As for the free HD for life, call and ask what package is required for you. If you got the Free premier with Sunday ticket, you are probably required to keep Choice Xtra or above for the Free HD.

Sorry to keep asking about this, but just so I understand... If I cancel the day before it expires, I will get the first 29 days free but have to pay for a prorate of the lower package for a day, right? and if I cancel the day after it expires I will have to pay a prorate for the higher package for a day, right?

So basically, if I call anytime near the expiration, it doesn't make a huge difference?

I just didn't want to get hit for a full month of the Premier package or some penalty for not completing the promo or whatever..

I can tell you I was told by Direct that I could downgrade package and keep hd for life. A month went by and my next bill they charged me hd. It took alot of fighting and I got back my hd for life but I had to go to the package I signed up for. At this time in life it seems to get hd free you have to keep the package you signed up for. Also I was told that it would stay that way as long as I was with direct.

You dont have to keep the package you have unless it was one of the times where you had to have premiere or choice ultimate promotions. The free HD for life promo seems like a never ending roller coaster so it really does depend when you signed up how much flexability we have in changing the package only a agent would be able to look it up.

You are right about that Stonecold. That is what happened to me. I signed up under the choice ultimate promotions. They say I am stuck for life if I want HD free with that package. My only choice is after a year if I want to drop the ultimate package is to cancel and put the account in my wife's name. I do not know what I will do then. I know it will cost me $20 a month to get out of my commitment but after a year my package will go up $29 a month so I would save $108 and get another year of first sign up discounts, and not locked into the ultimate package using my wife name. Who knows I have alot of months left and maybe Direct will change their rules and give me freedom to use other packages with free HD. I know it was my fault for I did not realize that I had to keep the ultimate package for a lifetime. Got to tell you I am a old dish customer and I loved Direct until this happened. But again it was my error in not knowing what I was doing.

I was called and was given that offer last year. Don't call until the day before the premier package is no longer free. Look on your bill for the ending date, it should say. Otherwise... my bill went from about $70 to about $115, because when I downgraded, THAT package was charged from when I called. As for the free HD for life, call and ask what package is required for you. If you got the Free premier with Sunday ticket, you are probably required to keep Choice Xtra or above for the Free HD.

Jess, seeing all programming is Pro Rated, even if your programming went to $ 115, if you changed it the day after or there abouts, the price would drop as the pro rated portion would be refunded (on your account), so if your discount ended on the 1st and you wen to $ 115 and on the second, you changed it, you would not get the bill for $ 115.

Come on guy's, you make this sound like the Free HD for Life is something extra special ....
Basically, all it is is a $120 p/m year discount.

HD is $ 10 p/m

Yes, it's nice that they are doing this, but it's not like your saving $500 p/y on your bill.

You dont have to keep the package you have unless it was one of the times where you had to have premiere or choice ultimate promotions. The free HD for life promo seems like a never ending roller coaster so it really does depend when you signed up how much flexability we have in changing the package only a agent would be able to look it up.

I talked to two agents, both who checked with their supervisors, and both who assured me that I was able to downgrade to Choice Xtra without problem. I am almost positive however that Ultimate was the minimum required to keep the package when I signed up. Neither seemed to be able to look it up but instead were reading off some sheet of promotional fine print. I will not be surprised if the next bill does not have the free HD for life. If this happens, do I have any recourse?

This is my experience with your same situation. When I signed up I was told in order to have HD for life I needed to keep the Ultimate package. Two months went down the road and I wanted to add starz to my package. Looked on line and saw that they were offering the HD for life also on the extra package. Since the Encore package is on the Ultimate package I wanted to see if I could drop down to the Extra without a problem. Called Direct and talked to a CR. He told me that I could get starz and as long as I kept auto pay I would have HD for life free and dropped my package down to choice extra was OK I will still have the free HD. Got this months bill and they charged me for the HD. Called and talked to two supervisors and they noted that WHAT HE SAID WAS ON MY ACCOUNT. But because I dropped down to the extra I can not have the free HD. They will not help me in any way. I lost the HD for life forever because of the downgrade. What am I supposed to do. I called, asked, and it was noted, and I still get screwed. What now? I emailed the customer Advocate and explained my problem. Around 5 pm eastern time I got a phone call from them. Since it was noted on my account that the change was ok, they put me back in the choice Ultimate package and gave back the hd for life, credit my account for the $10 for next month. They seemed to understand what happened and fixed it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)