Dumpin' the Dish!!

bob111

Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
I've had D-network for a month now and am not happy with the quality of the picture or the content...I could not wait to get rid of Comcast, but, they have offered me to 'dump the dish' and give me a $25 monthly credit for 16 months to come back...I live in the southeastern Massachusetts area and all of the local Boston networks are broadcasting in HD thru comcast now along with several other HD channels...I expected the digital content of Dish Network to really improve picture, but it can't compare to the Comcast digital right now...I got it w/ free installation and everything, but looks like I got excited for nothing...In addition, reading these forums tells me things are not likely to get better or improve for awhile anyway...Nice knowin' ya DISH!!!

Au revior, just remember to not give the equipment to comcast. Surprising how many people give leased equipment to them.

Bob: Can I ask where in southeast Mass. you live? I'm in Franklin, and the picture quality of Comcast digital here is much worse than Dish on a 57" HDTV. My folks are in North Attleboro, and the same applies there.

If your PQ from Dish is worse than Comcast, I'm thinking it is probably an environment/equipment problem. Because there's just no contest between the two in those towns, anyway.

all compress

All media outlets Cable and Sat compress the digital picture. It all depends on the equipment you output to.

I think as more people go to bigger tv's they will notice more PQ disintegration. This should have the big media people moving....I hope...to fix it.

bob111 said:
I've had D-network for a month now and am not happy with the quality of the picture or the content...I could not wait to get rid of Comcast, but, they have offered me to 'dump the dish' and give me a $25 monthly credit for 16 months to come back...I live in the southeastern Massachusetts area and all of the local Boston networks are broadcasting in HD thru comcast now along with several other HD channels...I expected the digital content of Dish Network to really improve picture, but it can't compare to the Comcast digital right now...I got it w/ free installation and everything, but looks like I got excited for nothing...In addition, reading these forums tells me things are not likely to get better or improve for awhile anyway...Nice knowin' ya DISH!!!

Wow, you think this is a cable employee plant posting here? One post and he's switching back to cable, gee, I wonder.

I was thinking the same thing.

I get twice as many locals in HDTV with the OTA Antenna with my Dish 6000 than Comcast offers here. Plus I don't have to suffe with Comcast's terrible STB software. I thought my old Dish 6000 was antiquated, but the new HD Comcast box can't even support a favorites list.

Sorry guys, no cable employee here!!!!

rhassellbaum:I live in Taunton and and I have a 52" HDTV...Based on what you and some others here have said, what do you think I could/should look at to improve the PQ...I would like to continue with Dish for the value, but it is bad PQ with the outrageous pixelation that is going on...Thanks

bob111 said:
Sorry guys, no cable employee here!!!!

rhassellbaum:I live in Taunton and and I have a 52" HDTV...Based on what you and some others here have said, what do you think I could/should look at to improve the PQ...I would like to continue with Dish for the value, but it is bad PQ with the outrageous pixelation that is going on...Thanks
Compression is a contributor...but in my opinion a great picture calibration can work wonders...Call ISF....Please take into consideration that most TV's ship from the factory with the picture optimized for analog cable. I strongly recommend turning your sharpness control lower as excessive sharpness can lead to wavey edge definition etc.

Jason

You just have to face it. SD on a big screen usually looks only fair no matter the provider. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a front proj for my movies and HD and watch everything else on a smaller tube set. I'm a mostly movie guy anyway. I guess I'm just a little over it reading about all this ship jumping due to quality. For differences in programming and problem boxes, I can understand.

bob111 said:
I've had D-network for a month now and am not happy with the quality of the picture or the content...

If you are really looking for outstanding quality on a big screen, the only system that offers this is big dish, I nearly get sick looking at the mini dish picture quality (sd) hd is not bad but not close to my big dish. here are some channels on the bud http://www.4dtv.com/Xcel/xcel.htm you get a lot more for a lot less and in the long run you save a ton of cash :)

Go cable

I am glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this way. The PQ on Dish sucks campared to my RCN cable. By all the hype I thoght the picture would improve, wrong! It looks like mush. Even the HD is better on cable. I however am stuck with Dish another 8 months. RCN announced that it will bringing 2 way service to my area and offer ALL my locals and more in HD. I can't wait. 2 way cable modem, HD, digital signal, all the tv's receiving all reg cable channels and best of all, my wife not having to ask why she just can't turn the tv on and watch without going through Aquiring signal and a host of other problems.

PC MAgazine this month went over several LCD/Plasma and rearprojection sets, but not the Sony LCD. One thing they mentioned as common on ALL of the sets they had was the video from one input to another, even component to s to DVI or its variant, did not necessarily follow in quality and in some cases had major differences, which brings up the question:

Did Comcast and Dish come in on the same connector for your comparison?

PC Mag does review the 60 rear projection and does not like some inputs on that, which are probably similar.

Now, I have no opinion on these, just passing along what I read. You people use these sets and know them better than a reviewer. I do not want to start a religious war.

Sony LCD

You make a good point. I did see my cable hooked up with DVI connector and the SD channels were much clearer. Even when I hook directly to the cable, without the digital box the picture is much better. This is true even for my 32" Sony wega. The Grand Wega TV has a remarkable picture no matter what you put into it unless it's a bad signal. I have a progressive scan DVD that looks great, Better in some cases than dishe's HD HBO.
Bottom line here is I think when SAT first came out, analog cable was terrible and SAT did have a much better picture. Today with the fiber optic cables, the right booster/distributer and digital cable, cable is much better in PQ, ease of use, and now HD including all local HD in most areas. Oh and I don't work for any cable company!

The Comcast feeds I have seen are brutal. I would never give up my Dish Network to pay double the monthly charge for inferior pic quality.

Jstanuthrdishguy said:
You just have to face it. SD on a big screen usually looks only fair no matter the provider. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a front proj for my movies and HD and watch everything else on a smaller tube set. I'm a mostly movie guy anyway. I guess I'm just a little over it reading about all this ship jumping due to quality. For differences in programming and problem boxes, I can understand.
I have a Toshiba 50 inch HD TV and I use Dish and my picture quality is great it's clear and crisp and very sharp. I had to learn how to calabrate my TV before I got such a good picture. When I first got my 50 inch and hooked it up to my dish I was a little dissapointed in the pic quality but after a lot of tweaking I realized it was the way my TV was set up and not Dish'es problem

I think my Toshiba has a lot to do with it because it had the best picture on it in Best Buy (50H82). That is for TV's under 5000.00. It's just a rear projection TV so it's not that great of a TV but it really looks good with my setup. I have a dish 500 and a 721 so nothing exceptional there either.

So before you jump ship try setting your TV up with different settings. I hope it all works out for you.

Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)