DVI Conflict Error After Software Update 7.26

RamenKing

Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
I have Voom for 2 weeks now. I use a DVI/HDMI cable (from Better Cables) to connect the receiver to my TV (Sony 42WE655). First week went by without any problem. Last Tuesday, after a software update, I began to see "DVI Conflict" errors on my screen. If I put the receiver to Stand By for a few hours (sometimes a few minutes), the error disappears and everything returns to normal.

I called Voom a few times. One person told me that it is probably because my TV doesn't support HDCP or my DVI cable is not DVI-D. I am pretty sure my TV supports HDCP just fine. Afterall, I watched over a week of Voom programming without problem. I just went back to Better Cables' web site and the cable is DVI-D. Again, if the DVI/HDMI cable was bad, I doubt I'd have been able to watch any programming that first week.

Has anyone experienced similar problem with the 7.26 update? :confused:

Ok. I do not have an explanation about it. Do me a favor send me an email to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us with your full address and the model of the TV. I will send the information to the Voom engineers to see if they can track the problem or find out why it was working before the upgrade and now it is not working.

Got it. I sent the information to the engineers. As soon as I get a response I will let you know. They may need more information and may contact you directly.

One more update, my installer is coming today to replace the receiver. He says this is the standard troubleshooting method. I doubt it'd solve anything but keeping my fingers crossed.

OK, situation just got worse.
The installer didn't know how to setup a receiver (odd, I thought). After messing around for an hour, the new receiver no longer receives any OTA networks. Can't even lock on to the RF code we used before. So, I asked him to put back the old receiver. I don't know what he did but the old receiver doesn't even turn on anymore. I almost preferred the DVI Conflict error. At least that only happened once every day or two.

Sean, if you know any engineer in Voom, I can use a hand here.

Thanks.

On the positive side, DVI Conflict error has not returned after I swapped receiver.

Nevermind, I spoke too soon.
DVI Conflict error returned yesterday.
I found out that if I disconnect the DVI cable and reconnect it on the receiver, the error goes away immediately. I don't really understand HDCP and how the receiver communicates with the TV. Can anyone explain this?

Thanks. :confused:

I have a brand new 60" lcd sony wega and I just hooked up my hdmi/dvi cable to the voom receiver and now I get the dvi conflict message.

I have only had voom for a week now and aside from not getting any local channels and this dvi conflict message, its been great.

Has there been any resolution to this issue?

One thing I would suggest: try turning on your equipment in a different order (STB first and then TV, or vice versa), it might be important for the HDCP handshake in which sequence things happen. Also, try a different cable if you can.
My year-old Sony Grand Wega doesn't have any HDCP issues with VOOM, though.

Nothing really worked in my case.
I tried different power-on order.
Tried a new receiver.
Tried new cable(s).
I was told to clean HDMI contacts because HDCP is really sensitive so I tried that.
I tried to disconnect the cable once the error occurred to see if that'd cause a reset. No luck.
Even a receiver reset doesn't resolve the issue for me.

Now, I haven't seen the DVI Conflict error after I added a HDMI Switcher. I don't know if it really resolved the issue or I just haven't seen the error yet.

VOOM doesn't seem to have any new idea for me to try. Hope someone will find the root cause eventually. :confused:

Everett

Sony Grand Wega XBR LCD. Occasional DVI Conflict message. I just turn the Voom box off and then on again, and everything returns to normal. And I don't mean a reboot -- I simply hit the SAT button on my remote, wait a second or two, and hit it again. Works every time for me, but sounds like your case may be a bit more involved. Good luck.

I know the Sony LCD native resolution isn't either 720p or 1080i, which may be causing a DVI conflict error. I know on my Sammy DLP I did get that DVI error, but my solution was to make sure the TV was powered on first.

What do you have your stb resolution set at? Maybe try setting the stb to where all the lights flash on. Let us know if you got a fix yet.

I just purchased a new Sony that only accepts HDMI input. One day of Voom and then I go the same error DVI conflict message.It seems from browsing the forum that this only occurs with Sonys.

The tech support told me to go to component and that this was a known problem with no solution. However, I believe the picture quality will suffer.

I noticed one of the previous posts had sent the issue to Voom engineering. Has there been any response from Voom?

Also, is it better to keep the STB on all the time?

zakman,

welcome. I have my sony connected to DVI but have switched to component and did not see big differences. I alway turn off the stb before going to sleep and haven't had big issues. Regarding the issue through HDMI, I haven't seen any resolution yet. Maybe this is something to resend to them. Can you post the exact wording of the message or a picture?

i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM -- Mine worked for a month, and all of a sudden it no longer works. HD content error. I have tried everything.

ARRGH.

I have gotten the same HD Content protection error. I just tuned off the stb then plugged and unplugged the DVI Cable. It came back both Times, has not happened in awhile.

Guys lets do this once more and post your TV brand and model number and I will resend the information once more. Thanks.

P.S. I will stick the thread this time so that it does not get lost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)