DVR crashes 38 times in one month, 5 units replaced so far

If voltage from outlet (s) is below 118v or above 123v, it will affect the receiver in ways you have described have the outlets checked with a volt meter.

UnSat, I am sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. That the reason they replaced 5 receivers and still have the same problem.

"If voltage from outlet (s) is below 118v or above 123v, it will affect the receiver in ways you have described", that could NEVER be true! I repeat, that the reason they replaced 5 receivers and still have the same problem!

People that don't have a clue trying to solve a serious problem and that includes all the people involved in replacing 3rd, 4th and 5th receiver! That is what you get when you pay minimum wage for "professional" people. Who do you think is paying for their incompetency???

If Dish techs had Elec. Eng. degrees your montly bill would be much higher. Then potential customers or current customers would go to Direct where techs don't have degrees .Maybe you should work for Dish.

Last edited:
I don't expect ALL all the technical people to be EE, but I do expect that they would have a few experienced EE that could advise the "technical" people.

As far as this forum, it is a "Technical Discussions" forum and not an "suggestions" column with unsubstantiated advise by unqualified people.

No suggestion or advise is much better than bad suggestion or bad advise!!!
Bad advice you can get all over the internet, it should not be here!

The unit auto reboot's on its own every 24 hours to check for updates (menu >8 > 4)
Does the picture freeze before it goes black and reboots.
Are you using external antenna for locals OTA, try not leaving tuner 2 set to external antenna channel or disable and see if that does anything.
Hows the signal strength for each of the 3 satellites (menu >6 > 1 > 1)
Hows the temperature (menu > 6 > 3 > counters > page down > Hard Drive Counters)

The unit auto reboot's on its own every 24 hours to check for updates (menu >8 > 4)
Does the picture freeze before it goes black and reboots.
Are you using external antenna for locals OTA, try not leaving tuner 2 set to external antenna channel or disable and see if that does anything.
Hows the signal strength for each of the 3 satellites (menu >6 > 1 > 1)
Hows the temperature (menu > 6 > 3 > counters > page down > Hard Drive Counters)

NO SOUP FOR YOU.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding .....

Does the next door neighbor like to do arc welding in his garage? Those things do some nasty sh*t to both voltage and waveform. If you share a transformer (on a pad or pole) with such a neighbor, that might do it.

It's very unlikely DISH would try to replace 5 receivers without insisting on sending out a tech after the 3rd or so... This means he's either been offered and didn't want to pay or flat refused them entry to the property. Something smells fishy.

It's very unlikely DISH would try to replace 5 receivers without insisting on sending out a tech after the 3rd or so... This means he's either been offered and didn't want to pay or flat refused them entry to the property. Something smells fishy.
You ought to read the OP again...or perhaps for the first time.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. One of them worked! At least I think it worked. I haven't had a crash in about 3 weeks. Hyperguy's suggestion that I go from a 3 prong to a 2 prong adaptor and cut off the ground wire seems to have solved the problem. So simple and I wonder why all the Dish Network tech guys doesn't know this. Anyway, for anybody with this problem in the future, try Hyperguy's method.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you and your families.
I'm a happy camper now.
V

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. One of them worked! At least I think it worked. I haven't had a crash in about 3 weeks. Hyperguy's suggestion that I go from a 3 prong to a 2 prong adaptor and cut off the ground wire seems to have solved the problem. So simple and I wonder why all the Dish Network tech guys doesn't know this. Anyway, for anybody with this problem in the future, try Hyperguy's method.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you and your families.
I'm a happy camper now.
V

Glad you've been crash free for awhile. However, your fix is really just a band-aide for an obvious grounding problem in you home wiring. You really should get an electrician out soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)