EA or WA Best For Rain Fade

az99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2014
In SW Fl. if you had your choice for EA or WA which would perform better in the rain to minimize signal loss?

I'm basing what I said solely off the angling. They are 22,500 miles from earth, but how much further when you have to stretch across the country. This sounds like jibber is hi know, but to sum it up. It's easier to hit in Ca then it is in Fl.

How much closer in 22,500 miles? I believe the flatter angle of the EA dishes to rainfall make them more sensitive.

Agree that the additional range makes no difference compared to the elevation angle. But the elevation angle in Florida to EA will be MUCH higher than WA. Less air and water in between the dish and the satellite. Hence I would recommend EA. Are you saying the opposite?

Reactions: oldengineer
I'm in NE FL and I had to switch to EA from WA when I went to HD.

I definitely experience more rain fade on EA than I did on WA. While that goes against the logic of less air and water in the way, there may be other factors involved (like going from a 500 2-LNB dish to a 3-LNB 1000.4)

Yea me to i experience more rain fade on EA than I did on WA i am in Md. EA 1000.4 dish ,WA Dish 500 plus 110, 118.7 ,119, 129.

The reason I was asking was I have terrible rain fade here in PA with the EA. I am moving to SW Fl. and wondered if it was the same. I have never had so much rain fade with any other sats I had been on.

For those comparing a 1000.4 EA dish to a 500/1000 Plus WA dish,you can get a EA Repoint Kit(or more or less put one together yourself) for your 500 Plus Dish by getting the 1000.4 EA LNB,Feed Arm,& LNBF Bracket to install on your 500 Plus Reflector Dish.

Reactions: TheKrell
I am in Pensacola FL and my highs are 110=77, 119=78, and 129=61. My locals are on both arcs. but my installer says Western Arc is recommended for at least this area. Daretbe, I think your Dish needs repeaking. Those numbers seem low to me.

Assumptions: Clear Sky, mid eastern location, both satellites transmitting at same power level. The loss (difference) due to slant angle is between 61W and 129 West is around 1.5 dB (significant). Dish designs the beam power transmission level and beam pattern to provide a stable signal at your receiver (wherever you are). But, real world variables Rain Fade and humidity could make a significant difference for those using a satellite with a flat slant angle (east coast using 129W is an example). This is the reason FCC allows the beam design to provide higher transmission power levels in the Southeast while the dry West has lower allowed levels. The permitted Northeast level is between the SE and the West.

DirecTV and the FCC got into a tiff a few years back concerning this very issue. DirecTV made some clear sky/rain fade assumptions (assumed more fade than permitted in the regulations) so as to allow increasing the transmission power level for one of their new satellites. The other satellite companies filed protests and DirecTV had to back off. It was all about high power levels affecting other satellites in the same orbital location.

This shouldn't even be a debate.
Several years ago installs in the Tampa area (probably other areas of FL) changed from EA to WA because rainfade is significantly less often and shorter duration with the WA. When I switched the change was obvious.
I have both the EA (61.5/72) and 119/118 in Ct. I have yet to lose the signal on the WA this year, and over all these years have lost it a handful of times when I had the WA only, and for short durations. While not often, I have lost the signal this year a few times already and it takes longer to come back than the WA. This includes summer (rain) and Winter. It was very noticeable when we had to switch to the EA (HD locals) that we lost the signal more often.

77 in Fl I believe is only needed in Jacksonville.

I am in Pensacola FL and my highs are 110=77, 119=78, and 129=61. My locals are on both arcs. but my installer says Western Arc is recommended for at least this area. Daretbe, I think your Dish needs repeaking. Those numbers seem low to me.
The signal scales are different from WA and EA. WA numbers are higher, mostly due to the different modulation used. I'd be interested in comparing others' EA numbers in the FL/Southeast area.

77 in Fl I believe is only needed in Jacksonville.
That isn't the only reason I need 77 ;)

Reactions: TheKrell
I can't explain Tampa's result in Florida, other than supposing that he has a whole lot more stormy weather to the south than he does to the west. My experience when I had mixed-arc was that 110/119 would frequently go out and stay out longer than my D500 on 61.5, which went out later (if at all) and for a shorter duration. And that was using the 61.5 LNB on one of those Y yokes rather than the I joke I put on later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)