EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

man00

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 28, 2008
Not a fair comparison, since you do not say what the speed is at work.

And how well would that speed (says on their website up to 100Mbps) would do in a family home where everyone is streaming at the same time, specially if one of the kids is gaming.

Then this-200 GB Priority Data, which is basically a data cap, because they slow you down if you hit this, then this from the Website-

The more connected devices you have, the quicker you will consume your Priority Data. Hughesnet is not recommended as a full-time video streaming replacement for TV service or console-based gaming activities because they quickly consume your Priority Data.

By the way, I hit 200GBs in less then a week.

From the fine print at the bottom-

*Standard Data may be slower than other traffic during high-traffic periods.

So you go offer the 200GBs, then might slow you down even more.

Then you go into the Lease Cost, which after 30 months, is the same as the equipment costs of Star Link, which is a lot faster, no data restrictions and the same price after the first year of Hughes.
From what I read off reddit about Starlink at night or prime time its slows down to a crawl

Reactions: charlesrshell

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
those making the loans are not interested in having their money tied up with a doubtful chance of getting any part of it back for a number of years

Keeping Echostar viable and succeeding may be their best alternative. Echostar need the assets to survive.

I just read this, by the way, had to put my ipad pro in reader mode to view-

EchoStar and its subsidiaries tried to offer new debt earlier this year to refinance some of Dish Network’s commercial debt, but debtholders didn’t like the offer.

One of them, U.S. Bank Trust Company National Association, has filed a federal lawsuit seeking to undo Dish Network’s restructuring, alleging it violated debt agreements of Dish Network’s satellite TV subsidiary and amounted to stealing billions of dollars worth of wireless network assets from debt holders.

The lawsuit complaint was initially filed in federal district court in Denver but this week was moved to be heard in the federal courts’ New York Southern District.

The complaint alleges the restructuring “transferred billions of dollars of assets from Dish Network Corporation and its subsidiary, DBS, out of the reach of existing creditors, in exchange for nothing. Defendants then offered the stolen property back to creditors of DISH Network and DBS, but only on the condition that they accept steep discounts on their claims.”

The bank’s complaint alleges the deal was meant to protect Ergen’s ownership of the businesses instead of possibly reorganizing them through a bankruptcy process designed to protect debtholders.

“The transactions are exactly what they appear to be: bad faith maneuvers designed to hinder, delay, and defraud creditors of DBS and of DISH Network, lower the trading price of those creditors’ bonds, and divert value from creditors to shareholders,” the bank’s complaint said.

So my question is, are these types of lawsuits enough to keep new private lending away from Echostar/Dish, until they are settled, which can take years in Federal Court, unless a settlement of course?

We all know Echostar/Dish has months to handle the debt issue, so you would think they would hurry up and make a deal with this Bank for example, so to open up any possibility of investments.

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
It will run over the dog's leg.

Dog will write it off and move on like it's any other Thursday. (not a great analogy in the first place IMO)

Doubt the banks are overly concerned here, just doing their due diligence. It's Dish trying to find a way to be viable going forward without a very clear path to doing so.

The dog caught the car when Dish won the bid for spectrum rights.

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Banks collecting assets on this deal is like someone parachuting a Ferrari to an Afgan in the mountains.
He would likely use it as a shed for his goats.

Banks don't want hard assets, they want money.

Right. And in the interim the banks interest is ensuring Dish doesn't play a shell game with assets to devalue their investment or diminish the plummeting value of what collateral they have left.

“Through a brazen series of related transactions,” billions of dollars of assets were transferred from Dish and its subsidiary DBS, according to the lawsuit filed Friday. They were removed from the reach of existing creditors, in exchange for nothing, according to the complaint. “Through this action, plaintiffs now seek to recover those wrongfully acquired assets.”​

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
The financial situation at EchoStar/Dish Network looks dim, as the newly combined entity issued an ominous warning via this SEC filing that raises "substantial doubt" that the company can continue as a going concern.

Way to go Charlie,he didn't even show up at the quarterly earnings report.Wasted all those dollars on spectrum that will probably never be used,at least by echostar.Shame as we have been with Dish for 15 plus years.Also way too many channel disputes under the guise of keeping our bills lower....cough cough

Reactions: MikeD-C05

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Way to go Charlie,he didn't even show up at the quarterly earnings report.Wasted all those dollars on spectrum that will probably never be used,at least by echostar.Shame as we have been with Dish for 15 plus years.Also way too many channel disputes under the guise of keeping our bills lower....cough cough
Other carriers have just as many nowadays. Dish was the first to dig in their heels.
P.S. I have been with 22 yrs, but uncertain about going past.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
Other carriers have just as many nowadays. Dish was the first to dig in their heels.
lol longtime no see kab,I hadn't been here in ages.When the news broke about dish possibly filing for bankruptcy I thought I would see what satguys had to say.

It's really disappointing to me,so many years ago Charlie Ergen was a pioneer,might even call him a renegade.But sadly all the money seemed to corrupt him.That's just my opinion,but he definitely isn't the same as he was way back when.

dishdude

SatelliteGuys God
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Dish Network is not going away anytime soon, it still is a viable business on it's own. Some capital venture company might end up with it, but it won't just close up shop. Heck, someone even tried to restart Orby.

telstar_1

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 14, 2020
lol longtime no see kab,I hadn't been here in ages.When the news broke about dish possibly filing for bankruptcy I thought I would see what satguys had to say.

It's really disappointing to me,so many years ago Charlie Ergen was a pioneer,might even call him a renegade.But sadly all the money seemed to corrupt him.That's just my opinion,but he definitely isn't the same as he was way back when.
Not just your opinion, other than I believe he was actually that way from jump and simply conned everyone. Maybe himself included.

Reactions: Teehar

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct

Have been with them just months from their start date, about 28 years in a couple of months, without lapse. I am looking around to be prepared and see what I would do to should the need arise. I virtually never lose service and hope they can continue for a few more years. Also depends if they continue the very good current customer rate I get.

telstar_1

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 14, 2020
Have been with them just months from their start date, about 28 years in a couple of months, without lapse. I am looking around to be prepared and see what I would do to should the need arise. I virtually never lose service and hope they can continue for a few more years. Also depends if they continue the very good current customer rate I get.
It was $19.99 to start with.

I wonder what's the eldest receiver someone has still active

Reactions: Teehar

On Demand Program List

Question about ViP 211 and 211k Support for Vacation Home