ex-Penn State coach Sandusky sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how many ways I can say it: "Lack of Institutional Control" is a phrase coined by the NCAA that defines whether or not a school has the mechanism in place to abide by their rules. If found guilty, what Sandusky and others at Penn State did were criminal acts, far from the jurisdiction of the NCAA. All found guilty will have lost their jobs, tarnished their careers, and most likely will serve some jail time as well. Civil lawsuits will soon follow and probably drag on for years.

The fact that this involved hiding information within the athletic program and those that are in the position of control..not providing leadership where student athletes well being and safety were in jeopardy, that IS part of their jurisdiction. ... the well being of student athletes.

The reputation of the university has been stained, possibly for a generation. Do you really think the NCAA should get involved to punish the football program further and those remaining and future players and coaches for the acts of the past??

Punishment of the ENTIRE football staff. The emails clearly show that most to almost everyone involved with the football staff knew. Hell, he used to bring these kids to BOWL GAME TRIPS! You cannot truly sit there and think the staff didn't know.

And as far as "Do you really think the NCAA should get involved to punish the football program further and those remaining and future players and coaches for the acts of the past??" The do that ALL the time for things that were done WAY PAST graduated classes. IF there is a repeat offender, there is not longer a "statute of limitations". A school could have been in trouble 9 years ago and still get punished.

If anything, in an ironic sort of way, I would argue that there was too much control on the part of the football program at Penn State. They disgustingly managed to keep this episode secret for many years. And, it had nothing to do with NCAA violations....

It was not too much control, it was too much power and too much self preservation.

Guilty on 45 of 48 counts. Enjoy your shank.

One report saying minimum of 60 years in prison and some charges are mandated felonies so no discretion in sentencing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ow to see what civil suits do to the college.

It will be a complex issue. The 11th Amendment provides a state with a thing called "soverign immunity". That means that you cannot sue a state.

I don't know about Pennsylvania, but in my state:

- a state college (or any other agency) is the state and is immune from any suit except to the extent the state has voluntarially bought insurance.
- a state college can only be sued in state court in its HQ county, no matter where the act occured and cannot be sued in federal court at all.
- the state's insurance is $1M, and you can only receive ACTUAL DAMAGES, no "pain and suffering", no punative damages. Just your actual out-of-pocket losses. And any amount of actual losses over $1M is SOL.

It will be a complex issue. The 11th Amendment provides a state with a thing called "soverign immunity". That means that you cannot sue a state.

- a state college (or any other agency) is the state and is immune from any suit except to the extent the state has voluntarially bought insurance.
- a state college can only be sued in state court in its HQ county, no matter where the act occured and cannot be sued in federal court at all.
- the state's insurance is $1M, and you can only receive ACTUAL DAMAGES, no "pain and suffering", no punative damages. Just your actual out-of-pocket losses. And any amount of actual losses over $1M is SOL.

They've already said they will seek to settle any lawsuits brought against them.

Looks like there's little complex about it, just like this entire thing from start to finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Penn State (along with Pitt and Temple) are not public universities in the common sense (like Penn and it's satellite campuses). They are what is called State-related, therefore they don't inherit the State's sovereign immunity (it also makes makes expensive for instate students as well).

As expected!

Penn State Officials hid facts to avert "bad publicity"

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Penn State's investigation into the Jerry Sandusky scandal concludes that Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno and other senior officials ''concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky's child abuse'' because they were worried about bad publicity.
A 267-page report is the result of an eight-month inquiry by former FBI director Louis Freeh, hired by university trustees weeks after Sandusky was arrested in November to look into what has become one of sports' biggest scandals.
The report says president Graham Spanier, football coach Joe Paterno, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz ''failed to protect against a child sexual predator harming children for over a decade.''

Report: Penn St. officials concealed abuse - Yahoo! Sports

I think it is time to include NON-Sports related issues under the "lack of institutional control" umbrella. I know many don't think so...but if there was EVER a lack, THIS is the perfect example. This scandal is THE BIGGEST cloud ever over college football.

And that is why Paterno was fired immediately. The trusties knew this would get out and therefore had no choice but to get rid of him.

And that is why Paterno was fired immediately. The trusties knew this would get out and therefore had no choice but to get rid of him.

AND if he was still alive, I would run up criminal charges against him. I don't give a rats ass how much he did for the university anymore. His lack of action caused harm that will never be forgiven or forgotten.

I wonder what their admission and transfer rates look/will look like this past year and over the next couple.

Denial, not just a river in egypt, or a college in Pennsylvania.

AND if he was still alive, I would run up criminal charges against him. I don't give a rats ass how much he did for the university anymore. His lack of action caused harm that will never be forgiven or forgotten.

Gotta love the Paterno apologists out there: "Well, at least Joe admitted he made a mistake in retrospect... before he passed"

Um, this is not like admitting years later, you made a mistake by going for it on 4th and short instead of punting, and you lost a BCS Bowl game because of it. This is innocent children's lives that will be forever scarred. Screw Joe Pa and his legacy!!

Umm he's 84 years old... he prob doesn't know what a Mosquito is let alone how many fly...but you think what ya like, I think he knew something but didn't do what others wanted him to do or expected and that could be for anyone at any time - he didn't do the crime though and all the attention has shifted onto him and it's not right. Like I said... he will die from this, the stress will kill him.

Sorry but nobody here knows the real truth of what happened and the level of "silence" Paterno gave or didn't give during this time frame.. nobody really knows but him - still the issue here is with media...they are blowing it way up in his face and thats wrong...focus needs to be about Sandusky and these abused kids.

Do you know for a fact of what he said and didn't say or what he should have said during these times periods and the circumstances revolving around each issue as it was regarded by law? I sure don't...and you can bet nobody not even many lawyers do at this point... so you and I and others just speculate...still the truth here is media is firing up this storm around him and it's not right.... they need to get out of his face let the courts see what is going on and the facts get figured out and then once the dust settles we can point fingers.

I have a kid... and I don't need to feel different about it since again Joe isn't the one that is at fault of the crime here and AGAIN the media is blowing this up and he's taking the biggest fall. Do I think he's not at fault some how or another....I don't believe I've said either way so don't stick suggestive idea's into my head or say "one day blah blah" there is no one day...today is now and yes again I have a kid... don't think for one second I didn't apply any sympathy towards the kids that were victims here cause that's not true..enough with that nonsense.

Would love to hear from this guy again.

Now we know why he transferred most of his assets into his wife's sole name, his estate is going to get sued, alongside of Penn State.

I wonder, if any that opposed what was done by upper management at Penn State, still think this does not fall under "lack of institutional control" just because it was a football related issue...

It's time for the NCAA to step in and "death penalty" Penn State. There are still members of the coaching staff and people around the program that participated in the cover up.

This is not giving cash, cars, tattoos or houses to parents. These are unspeakable crimes covered up by the program and administration.

The NCAA wants to act all mighty when a kid gets a free pizza or sneakers, now it's time to step up when people were actually raped because of a programs "lack of institutional control".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts