ex-Penn State coach Sandusky sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Yeah, not something you just easily put out of your mind. And agreed, no idea how you would live with yourself knowing that you took ONE STEP - to tell the coach - but NOTHING came of it; and not have called the cops??

So is that why the Penn State community has threatened him? Because he didn't call the cops? Or is it because he DID say something and didn't keep quiet?

Sandra

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
In a related development, San Antonio police Sgt. Chris Benavides said Thursday his department is "looking into the possibility that an offense may have happened" while Penn State was there for the 1999 Alamo Bowl, Sandusky's last game as an assistant.

According to the Pennsylvania grand jury report, Sandusky took one boy to the game and threatened to send him home when the victim resisted his advances.
This leads credence to the rumors floating around as an explanation for the reason for Sandusky's quick 'retirement'...

Penn State Nittany Lions' Mike McQueary will not attend game this weekend - ESPN

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
So is that why the Penn State community has threatened him? Because he didn't call the cops? Or is it because he DID say something and didn't keep quiet?

Sandra

No idea. None whatsoever. If Penn State fans prefer this have remained kept quiet, then there is a bigger problem, but I suspect the decision to keep the guy away from the game was a smart one. There are crazy people out there, and its plausible there are credible threats. I suspect the guy will be looking for a new job fairly soon; although I wonder if he qualified for whistleblower protection. He did report the issue to his supervisor. All in all, its a mess!

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W

Sandra
My money is on this one. The fans are probably pissed because he got Paterno involved, instead of calling the police himself.

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
My money is on this one. The fans are probably pissed because he got Paterno involved, instead of calling the police himself.

Well, say what you want about what McQueary should or shouldn't have done in the shower itselft, but this statement (which I think I agree with) means fans are threatening McQueary because he did what he was supposed to do. He told his superior.

Sandra

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
Well, say what you want about what McQueary should or shouldn't have done in the shower itselft, but this statement (which I think I agree with) means fans are threatening McQueary because he did what he was supposed to do. He told his superior.

Sandra
I would agree with that if Sandusky was seen in the act of something along the lines of stealing office supplies, for example. Instead, what McQueary witnessed was a physical assault on another person. That criminal act should have been reported to the police, no matter where it occurred.

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
U.S. Senators Bob Casey (D-Pa.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) announced today that they are rescinding their support for the nomination of former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno for the Presidential Medal of Freedom. They issued the following statement:
“In light of the recent events in State College, we are rescinding our support for the nomination of Joe Paterno for the Presidential Medal of Freedom. We hope the proper authorities will move forward with their investigation without delay. Penn State is an important institution in our commonwealth. We should turn our attention to the victims of these atrocious crimes and ensure they get the help they need. Our hearts and prayers go out to them and their families.”

Pennsylvania senators rescind Paterno Medal of Freedom support - 2chambers - The Washington Post

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
I would agree with that if Sandusky was seen in the act of something along the lines of stealing office supplies, for example. Instead, what McQueary witnessed was a physical assault on another person. That criminal act should have been reported to the police, no matter where it occurred.

OK...so Penn State fans are indignant with McQueary for not calling police? I get that. But they are even more indignant that, once McQueary told Paterno, Paterno did NOT have to call the police?

Sandra

Last edited:

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I think at the moment the details are only so relevant to most, he's simply one of the few that remain that can be used as a scapegoat and a focal point for frustration and anger.

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
OK...so Penn State fans are indignant with McQueary for not calling police? I get that. But they are even more indignant that, once McQueary told Paterno, Paterno did not have to call the police?

Sandra
No. My view as I said before is that the fans are upset with McQueary because in their eyes he got Paterno involved in this mess by reporting it to him, instead of directly calling the police himself.

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
I think at the moment the details are only so relevant to most, he's simply one of the few that remain that can be used as a scapegoat and a focal point for frustration and anger.

Totally agree. And that's really a shame...

Sandra

Last edited:

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
I just went on a PSU message board and saw many posts with a similar sentiment as this one:

i'd be against threats in normal circumstances but f*** this guy. how in the hell can joe paterno get fired and this guy is still employed by the university?! you gotta be f****** kidding me. this guy is a joke of a man.

Will94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 11, 2008
USA
Let's take PSU and blow it up | Philadelphia Daily News | 11/11/2011

Make the State College campus much smaller - with a student body closer to 10,000 and a focus on central Pennsylvania. Let the new, pumped-up regional campuses have varsity football programs - just not in Division I.

Why? Because the culture of corruption at Penn State clearly runs deeper than just one monster who got away with sexually abusing young boys. What a lot of people are unwilling, still, to admit is that the Jerry Sandusky scandal has exposed Joe Paterno - along with his enablers - as an Emperor with No Clothes, parading down College Avenue on his white horse.

Paterno's "grand experiment" started failing a long time ago. His student-athletes starting misbehaving in the 1990s. One time JoePa even seemed to make light of sexual-assault allegations against a star player, prompting the National Organization for Women to call for his resignation.

Now, the Sandusky probe has exposed an entire community, including administrators, campus police and local law-enforcement, in the tank to protect the sacred cow disguised as a Nittany Lion.

Meanwhile, the most unsettling thing about Wednesday night's riot was how predictable it was. In the last decade, we've seen students go on destructive rampages after Penn State lost a basketball game in 2001 and after it won a football game in 2008.

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
As all things Penn State continue to turn toxic, sponsors are backing away... Cars.com is no longer the presenting sponsor of this weekend's game, and Sherwin Williams was the sponsor logo that appears behind Penn State press conferences and has pulled out.

Meanwhile the university has declared the game a "blue out", to get people to wear baby blue to honor/recognize/etc the victims, but now there's a push by the coaches to instead wear white as a tribute to Joe Paterno. Priorities much?

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Meanwhile the university has declared the game a "blue out", to get people to wear baby blue to honor/recognize/etc the victims, but now there's a push by the coaches to instead wear white as a tribute to Joe Paterno. Priorities much?

Just another example of the type of thinking that allowed this to happen in the first place. I don't know if I will ever be able to watch any sporting event at Penn State anymore and not think of what the indictment accuses Sandusky of doing to that poor little boy in the shower.

And Paterno's choice to instead of call the cops, tell Sandusky not to do it there.

Sandra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts