Expert Advice Needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Delirium

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I have had my equipment set up for a few weeks and had some questions. My longitude is 112 deg and I get excellent quality on satellites withing 15 degrees of that position (up to 90 quality, 77 signal) on my satwork 3688 and winegard 1 meter dish. However, when I try to move much farther from that, my signal stays around 72-75 but my quality goes down to 35-45. Is there a reason for this? I thought I might have my dish pointed slightly away from my true south. Would this cause such a problem? I don't have a satellite on my true south so I have been trying to eyeball my true south using a compass (including magnetic declination). Any advice would be appreciated.

so anything east of say 97 gives you issues?
I don't have a Satwork, but I heard the meter is real low (compared to a Pansat)
What did you use for true south? Dish 110?

These number are for a Pansat...hopefully someone chimes in with a Satwork
(quality readings)
CCTV (G3)-75
Doc Scott (IA6)-75 to 90
Primedia (G11)-45
PBS (AMC3)-50
Test (AMC9)-50
KTEL (AMC5)-80
ONN (SBS6)-75

These are at 95 93 91 87 83 79 74 :)

Thanks for the quick response, Iceberg.

Yes, around 95 deg I start having problems. To be honest, I didn't really use a satellite as my true south. I just pointed the dish in the direction I thought was true south. I thought if I set my motor at 0 position using Satmex 5 as my true south, I would have problems aligning with other satellites when I moved the dish around. Is this not correct? What would you recommend using as my true south?

If you have a DBS LNB laying around, I would use Dish 110 (only 2 degrees off). Just swap the LNB to get it working and then swap it back to the KU band :)

Use 12530 H 20000 for the TP...this has the 2 channels FTA (The PPV preview and sports preview)

Unfortunately, I don't have a DBS LNB. I noticed lyngsat shows a satellite at 113 deg (AMC 15) that doesn't have any data. Could I possibly try to hit that and get a quality reading?

I'm interested in this as well as I'm also at 112.

My guess (take this with a grain of salt as I have no FTA hardware at the moment) is that the elevation is off and so it's REALLY off as you move away from the center of the arc.

Delirium said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a DBS LNB. I noticed lyngsat shows a satellite at 113 deg (AMC 15) that doesn't have any data. Could I possibly try to hit that and get a quality reading?

highly unlikely..its just sitting there right now. Dish hasnt even started testing it yet.

Shawn95GT said:
I'm interested in this as well as I'm also at 112.

My guess (take this with a grain of salt as I have no FTA hardware at the moment) is that the elevation is off and so it's REALLY off as you move away from the center of the arc.

yep...sounds about right :)

Thanks again, Iceberg.

I was curious if I used 110 as my true south, how far off the arc would I be when I move the dish to ~60 deg? Would it make that much of a difference?

Those F2 Ku band feeds are all Star Choice DCII feeds with the exception of a 2 transponders being used [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]World Broadcasting Unions International Satellite Operations Group (WBU-ISOG) for critical tests to ensure the global interoperability of codecs used for high-definition television (HDTV) video transmissions. Telesat is working with WBU-ISOG representatives in partnership with Communication Research Centre Canada (CRC) and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)

When the tests are completed, these 2 transponders will be used by Cancom for DCII HD CBC/SRC feeds for Star Choice and cable head ends in Canada
[/font]

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)