Help Needed:

Please include the model number of your V-box. I am not aware of any V-box model that supports USALS motor control. V-box positioner controllers use the DiSEqC 1.2 and some the 4 position 1.0 protocols.

I know just a wee bit about positioners and controllers... :biggrin
dont know it off by heart but i can control the movement of the motor with and without the vbox turned on and you're saying to follow this video yes?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EujxM_emQI&ab_channel=EurovisionEruption

Reactions: charlesrshell
That video is not for a DiSEqC 1.2 System it is for an automatic USALS system, which moves automatically between calculated satellite positions. Gives the basics on the settings, but not on locating and saving satellite positions using DiSEqC 1.2. You might have to follow the directions above in post #11.

Does anyone know of DiSEqC 1.2 install videos? Seems that all YouTube videos are for USALS systems.

The HH motor install FAQs might provide assistance:

Update:

Sunny here in norfolk (about bloody time)

been outside and done the following to my dish/motor but im not getting a signal on any sats :(

i set the Elevation angle on the motor bracket to 36 degrees & set the Declination Angle (screw b) (Gold Plate at top) to 7.0 degrees.

and my dish is pointing down now (thats not right is it?)

Please help, ps cant take my vbox or sf8008 outside to mess about with

will post pics when i can as still trying to sort it out atm will check for replys soon
UPDATE PICTURES NOW ADDED:

Last edited:
Not sure how you calculated those Elevation and Declination settings? The approximate settings according to the Motek guide (page 8) for your latitude is:
  • Motor Elevation 38 degrees (Screw A)
  • Motor Declination 7.5 degrees (Screw B)

The face of the dish will be slightly pointed up when facing true South. The dish face will be pointed downwards when driven to the East or West of true south.

The offset angle of a Channel Master 1.2m is 22.6 degrees (meaning the dish is actually pointed at a elevation that is 22.6 degrees higher than the face of the dish is aimed at).

The top of the arc for true south for Norfork, UK is 29.8 degrees. 29.8 - 22.6 = 7.2 degrees

This would make the face of the dish be tilted up at only 7.2 degrees when pointed true south.

me either oops, please see my attached pics i just added (on this post aswell), u will see my issues hopefully, thanks

i know people keep saying 29.8 degrees. 29.8 - 22.6 = 7.2 degrees but i cant set them angles for some reason, if u check out the pictures in my above post you will see why im confused

My pics (of how it is right now since adjusting it all)

i know you said "The face of the dish will be slightly pointed up when facing true South. The dish face will be pointed downwards when driven to the East or West of true south, The offset angle of a Channel Master 1.2m is 22.6 degrees (meaning the dish is actually pointed at a elevation that is 22.6 degrees higher than the face of the dish is aimed at), The top of the arc for true south for Norfork, UK is 29.8 degrees. 29.8 - 22.6 = 7.2 degrees, This would make the face of the dish be tilted up at only 7.2 degrees when pointed true south" < i find this difficult to do < as no one in my area knows how to do this sort of thing i have already asked around >

but what does any of that mean? as you can see my dish currently isnt point up its pointing down and the motor is at 0 degrees and on my sf8008 i can move my dish to different sats without getting any signal on any of them (due to dish and motor still not aligned correctly????), but as you can see from my pics i have tried, without any luck, still need help (please edit my pic to show what needs adjusting so i know) < PLEASE <<

on my next afternoon and or days off (weather permitted) i will set it to what you said and will post an update with pics aswel if it works)

Last edited:
Not sure how you calculated those Elevation and Declination settings?

He read my posts, e.g. post #4 on this forum.
He never gave his exact latitude and longitude values, though.

And he did not seem to have read everything, because this is still a dead end:
-Can you post pictures of the actual adapter plate, for your polar mount and offset dish?
We got to the point that that probably must be set correctly, to the correct offset angle; and I don't know if it has a scale, or was built for use only with your type of dish/for a fixed offset angle.

My Motor needs Aligning Correctly inorder to track the arc correctly, so this ? (Notes to myself so i know which one to adjust) (See Blue text below)
Set Elevation angle (The Scale on the motor bracket is for easy setting) (Long scew A) to 36.85°
Declination Angle: set it using screw B to 7 using the scale on the upper mounting plate (Gold Plate at top)
Absolutely right.
But also your offset dish adapter plate must be in the good angle.
So please do as I asked: post photos of the actual adapter plate, and the possible offset scales on them?

Titanium :
You seem to have taken over, without reading my posts?
I'll leave him to you, then. Better when just one person leads him through it.

Greetz,
A33

Update:

so if this is correct it should be like this??? (not my pic btw)

"NOTE TO SELF"

1) Flip the Gold Plate Upside down so the flat bit thats at the top is upside down so it slides into the gap between the lines like this pic above (so the thin bit can slide down to 7.5 (or 7)

2) move the Motor Elevation 38 degrees (Screw A) < Long Screw (using clinometer app on my phone when it says 38 degrees then tighten up nuts on long screw)

"The face of the dish will be slightly pointed up when facing true South (thor 0.8w)"

Final Result:

The offset angle of a Channel Master 1.2m is 22.6 degrees (meaning the dish is actually pointed at a elevation that is 22.6 degrees higher than the face of the dish is aimed at).

The top of the arc for true south for Norfork, UK is 29.8 degrees. 29.8 - 22.6 = 7.2 degrees

This would make the face of the dish be tilted up at only 7.2 degrees when pointed true south.

is all of this correct?? :)

a33

Feel free to assist. I understand about their being too many cooks in the kitchen and I will hang up my apron. Seemed like he wasn't receiving actual aiming steps on how to install a motorized dish using DiSEqC 1.2 protocols, so I jumped in to provide the steps on aligning without USALS.

Have at it! :cool:
urm excuse me think u forgot to read my post :) << had to make this more clearer in my mind << as i find it hard to think about doing it first but now i think this is correct??

Update: think i worked it out!!

"NOTE TO SELF"

1) Flip the Gold Plate Upside down so the flat bit thats at the top is upside down so it slides into the gap between the lines like this pic above (so the thin bit can slide down to 7.5 (or 7)

2) move the Motor Elevation 38 degrees (Screw A) < Long Screw (using clinometer app on my phone when it says 38 degrees then tighten up nuts on long screw)

"The face of the dish will be slightly pointed up when facing true South (thor 0.8w)"

Final Result:

@a33 & titanium

@a33

Feel free to assist. I understand about their being too many cooks in the kitchen and I will hang up my apron.

No need to hang your apron.
It is just a problem when some cooks want to cook via different procedures. So it is important to stick to one procedure, and to stick to the step that is actually at hand (here and now).
Only when all the steps are done in the proper order, and with enough precision, FeedHunter24 will succeed with the following steps, and the total project; especially as he already indicated that he needs clear, preferably visual, instructions.
I believe he can understand instructions, but has problems to understand the principles of (e.g.) a polar mount.

So it's our job here, I believe, to stick to the step at hand, and to support each other here. Or this topic will end as the topic in the other forum.
That is how I see it.

Greetz,
A33

No need to hang your apron.
It is just a problem when some cooks want to cook via different procedures. So it is important to stick to one procedure, and to stick to the step that is actually at hand (here and now).
Only when all the steps are done in the proper order, and with enough precision, FeedHunter24 will succeed with the following steps, and the total project; especially as he already indicated that he needs clear, preferably visual, instructions.
I believe he can understand instructions, but has problems to understand the principles of (e.g.) a polar mount.

So it's our job here, I believe, to stick to the step at hand, and to support each other here. Or this topic will end as the topic in the other forum.
That is how I see it.

Greetz,
A33
Thank You, if you didnt guess by now i find it hard to visualise things like this, not that im thick or stupid its just my brain works differently to others!

now is this correct?

>> had to make this more clearer in my mind << as i find it hard to think about doing it first but now i think this is correct??

Update: think i worked it out!!

"NOTE TO SELF"

Final Result:

@a33 & titanium

My pics (of how it is right now since adjusting it all)

An important question first:
How many kilos/pounds/stones do you have at the ground frame of this setup, at the moment?
This photo looks like much less than what would be needed, I guess.

I won't post anything, till this is cleared up.
Or you might soon be with a damaged dish....

Greetz,
A33

An important question first:
How many kilos/pounds/stones do you have at the ground frame of this setup, at the moment?
This photo looks like much less than what would be needed, I guess.

I won't post anything, till this is cleared up.
Or you might soon be with a damaged dish....

Greetz,
A33
there are 15 bags of stones holding the dish base down while i wait for new slabs to be delivered), i have had to move it off the concrete base temporary i made until its realigned correctly due to not being able to get round to the side of it where Screw A Is, once its fully aligned i will move it back onto the base then it will be ready to use!, today im going to do the angles on the dish/motor to hopefully get it aligned (due to it being dry and sunny here), will post updates after!

there are 15 bags of stones holding the dish base down while i wait for new slabs to be delivered),

Good, that is reassuring a bit.
I would have expected concrete 'tiles' (or how are these called), like on the street sidewalk/on the pavement, but I guess bags with stones can do as well.

About your angle setup:
1) Flip the Gold Plate Upside down so the flat bit thats at the top is upside down so it slides into the gap between the lines like this pic above
This is absolutely correct.
Also rearrange the nuts on screw B as they should be! As visible in the SH103605.jpg

The setting of the declination offset angle (screw B) is useless, when the offset dish adapter plate is not mounted in the right angle. Will you please make Photos of that, seen from the side; as I have repeatedly asked?
One or two photos from near, one or two photos from far, please.
Then we can determine, what anglesetting exactly has to be done first.

And can you give more precise values for LAT and LON, instead of "Norfolk"?
Otherwise we might help you with wrong angles.

And do I understand right, that you have an inclinometer app?

Greetz,
A33

Good, that is reassuring a bit.
I would have expected concrete 'tiles' (or how are these called), like on the street sidewalk/on the pavement, but I guess bags with stones can do as well.

About your angle setup:

This is absolutely correct.
Also rearrange the nuts on screw B as they should be! As visible in the SH103605.jpg

The setting of the declination offset angle (screw B) is useless, when the offset dish adapter plate is not mounted in the right angle. Will you please make Photos of that, seen from the side; as I have repeatedly asked?
One or two photos from near, one or two photos from far, please.
Then we can determine, what anglesetting exactly has to be done first.

And can you give more precise values for LAT and LON, instead of "Norfolk"?
Otherwise we might help you with wrong angles.

And do I understand right, that you have an inclinometer app?

Greetz,
A33
Update:

i have done the following:

1) Flipped the Gold Plate Upside down so the flat bit thats at the top is upside down so it slides into the gap between the lines like this pic above (so the thin bit can slide down to 7 (only goes 0, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) i set it to 7

2) set the Motor Elevation 38 degrees (Screw A) < Long Screw (using clinometer app on my phone when it says 38 degrees then tighten up nuts on long screw)

52.7517° N, 0.4023° E

yes i have inclinometer app, i can only post pics of the mount with dish attached

see pics for updates u asked for:

best pics i can take of the motor angle (hope these help)

what does this one (Clinometer according to manual) need to be set to then 38 aswell?
according to dishpointer i should do the following:

Dish Setup Data:
Motor Latitude: 52.8°
Declination Angle: 7.5°
Dish Elevation: 22°

i have tried your way and the dishpointer way and non work :(

i have done everything described but sill not getting any signal on any satellites :(

Last edited:
Update:

i have done the following:

1) Flipped the Gold Plate Upside down so the flat bit thats at the top is upside down so it slides into the gap between the lines like this pic above (so the thin bit can slide down to 7 (only goes 0, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) i set it to 7

2) set the Motor Elevation 38 degrees (Screw A) < Long Screw (using clinometer app on my phone when it says 38 degrees then tighten up nuts on long screw)

52.7517° N, 0.4023° E

yes i have inclinometer app, i can only post pics of the mount with dish attached

see pics for updates u asked for:

best pics i can take of the motor angle (hope these help)

what does this one (Clinometer according to manual) need to be set to then 38 aswell?
according to dishpointer i should do the following:

Dish Setup Data:
Motor Latitude: 52.8°
Declination Angle: 7.5°
Dish Elevation: 22°

i have tried your way and the dishpointer way and non work :(

i have done everything described but sill not getting any signal on any satellites :(
P.S
The Fragile & Black tape you can see on the motor is just so 'if people decided to mess around with it they know its fragile and not to touch it' & the black tape is an extra layer to keep it water tight just in case any rain got in (shouldn't do but you never know), and the bungie cords are there just incase the wind blows it over (sounds sill but it works) :), just in case anyone's wondering << forgot to add this to my last post <<

im thinking that my stand maybe to low to the ground for this dish maybe? which it was perfect for picking up Astra 28.2E & 23.5E but no other sats :(, if it is then what i will do is i will build it up by 3 or 4 layers (using 3 or 4 layers of thick bulk wood bolted together) then add the dish stand on top of it then bolt that to the top of the wood to make it much higher of the ground (although the dish might get blown off with the wind) but i will make sure the wood is secure to the ground first just in case of strong winds - always happens with crap British weather)

on my previous dish which was also mounted on a pole concreated into the ground (at the back of the new shed), - not in use anymore, my dish elevation was 25 degrees (i know its not the same as my 1.2m CM Dish (just using as example) i was able to pick up most sats, 28.2, 23.5e, 16e, 7e, 10e, 9e, 0.8w etc, and the motor elevation was 32 degrees (i know its not the same motor thats attached to my 1.2CM Dish) silly question but wont this be the same for this dish and motor?? just using as example, i got these aligned just fine, then i decided to upgrade dishes hence asking for help here...

Last edited:
i have done everything described but sill not getting any signal on any satellites

It may be that you are disappointed a bit, now, but I'm not!

During the process of setting up a motor step by step, it is not the case that you have to rate the success of a step by the fact if you have reception already after that step. Reception along the arc is the END result, after ALL the steps.
When the first steps are not done properly, there is no need to already do the following steps, as when changing the effect of an earlier step, the later steps must be redone again!

So that is why I asked from the beginning, when I learned about the offset adapter plate, to post pictures of that. Because that could influence all the angles.

And your pictures are clear. The offset dish adapter plate now seems to be set at about 36 or 37 degrees.
The offset angle of the Channel Master dish, however, is 22.6 degrees.
However, the feedarms of the dish put the feedhorn at an actual offset angle of nearly 23.1 degrees, according to the measurements of RimaNTSS here: Channel Master 1,2m issue
So I would propose to take as the "actual" offset angle of the dish: 23.0 degrees. Which would still be 13 to 14 degrees off.

But, back to the step by step procedure. (First things first!)
- You are at 52.75 latitude, so resulting in:
Axis elevation angle = 90 - 52.75 - 0.55 = about 36.70 degree;
and declination offset = 7.54 - 0.55 = about 7.0 degree (about unchanged).

- To me, the motor axis elevation angle presently looks to be about 52 degrees (photo 11), so about 90 minus 38 degrees? Meaning you have not set the elevation angle, but the complement angle.
So it looks like you should set the elevation about as the little scale in photo 3.jpg shows.
By the way: the axis elevation angle can be set more precisely, I think, when placing an inclinometer at the motor housing. Did you do that?
When you set it at 36.7, please take a photo of how you put the inclinometer; so that we can check!

My time is up at the moment. So this is it for now.

Edit: Just to check: Your motor is definitely at zero degrees, while using your inclinometer for the angles? It should be.

Greetz,
A33.

It may be that you are disappointed a bit, now, but I'm not!

During the process of setting up a motor step by step, it is not the case that you have to rate the success of a step by the fact if you have reception already after that step. Reception along the arc is the END result, after ALL the steps.
When the first steps are not done properly, there is no need to already do the following steps, as when changing the effect of an earlier step, the later steps must be redone again!

So that is why I asked from the beginning, when I learned about the offset adapter plate, to post pictures of that. Because that could influence all the angles.

And your pictures are clear. The offset dish adapter plate now seems to be set at about 36 or 37 degrees.
The offset angle of the Channel Master dish, however, is 22.6 degrees.
However, the feedarms of the dish put the feedhorn at an actual offset angle of nearly 23.1 degrees, according to the measurements of RimaNTSS here: Channel Master 1,2m issue
So I would propose to take as the "actual" offset angle of the dish: 23.0 degrees. Which would still be 13 to 14 degrees off.

- To me, the motor axis elevation angle presently looks to be about 52 degrees (photo 11), so about 90 minus 38 degrees? Meaning you have not set the elevation angle, but the complement angle.
So it looks like you should set the elevation about as the little scale in photo 3.jpg shows.
By the way: the axis elevation angle can be set more precisely, I think, when placing an inclinometer at the motor housing. Did you do that?
When you set it at 36.7, please take a photo of how you put the inclinometer; so that we can check!

My time is up at the moment. So this is it for now.

Edit: Just to check: Your motor is definitely at zero degrees, while using your inclinometer for the angles? It should be.

Greetz,
A33.
ok so what do i need to do now then? i moved the dish up and down and didnt get signal, so what do i do now then? yes i used the app on my phone, what do u mean "your time is up now?"

do you mean i should set the elevation by this instead? please edit reupload and repost what number i should move it to (so i know, fyi i have tried all of them)

if yes then i need to set it to 36? as you can see it goes from 0,5,10, 15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55,60,65,70,75,80,85,80 there is no option to set it to 36.7,

and what do you mean "So I would propose to take as the "actual" offset angle of the dish: 23.0 degrees. Which would still be 13 to 14 degrees off" ??
also whats up with pic 11? are you saying thats these are wrong aswell? (see this pic) (what to i need to do to correct??)

what do i need to do to correct my mistake? Titanium can you help with this please? thanks

Last edited:
Completely agree with A33. The motor Elevation Angle setting is not correct, resulting in the dish being aimed above the arc. Follow A33's suggestions.

H180.jpg

Completely agree with A33. The motor Elevation Angle setting is not correct, resulting in the dish being aimed above the arc. Follow A33's suggestions.

View attachment 167794
but i dont understand what he means by that when looking at my dish from the front/side its point sort of straight out not up or down (sound odd really)

urm whats right and wrong? i dont know what the lines are ment to be pointing at?.... or did u mean that my motor needs to be pointing down more not up like it currently is? because i already tried that before and it still wasnt right.... it would be pointing at the ground if thats what u mean ....

so what A33 is saying is yeah

so i have set motor axis elevation angle to 36.7 degrees using the little scale on the side (see pic where i drew line) < not an easy task considering it goes from 0-90 and theres no 36.7 degrees on that scale (on the side of the motor bracket) < if i move 1 thing the whole motor moves so how am i ment to do this then? also Screw A (Does the exact same thing) < need step by step notes what i need to do to correct this thanks!

So i understand:

motor axis elevation angle = Screw A?? < correct or not??
Motor Declination = Screw B?? < correct or not??

Titanium a33

Last edited: