FCC Docket 05-72: Public Comments against sale/transfer of VOOM Licenses

I am not familiar with FCC jargon, but to me a Public Notice means just that; a public notice announcing an event pertaining to a public interest...and to solicit public comments. Therefore any upstanding citizen (a public member), by definition, is welcome to file comments regarding posted issue(s). The FCC must take ALL public comments into consideration. The weight they are given and the legal matters involved are another issue.

Key Dates

Comments/Petitions Due: March 28, 2005 (what we are doing here at the VOOM Forum)

Oppositions Due: April 12, 2005 (how EchoStar and Rainbow DBS respond to the above comments and petitions, if at all)

Replies Due: April 18, 2005 (Ok, someone help out here...I take this to mean if a comment(s) or petition(s) is/are opposed via an opposition response, then those being opposed are given an opportunity to reply?) :confused:

Bluzman said:
2005326243752 in case someones counting these. :)
The FCC is counting these, but they surely don't verify them at night or on the weekend. Offhand, I'd estimate the FCC is in receipt of almost 250 Comments at this time. I'm hoping for 500+, but tomorrow is Easter Sunday and time is running out quickly. The FCC website Click Here show 141 filed documents, but it has not been updated for more than 24 hours.

Well I didn't see my name up there on that list. I submitted mine earlier today with a confirmation number. There has to be more names that have gotten submitted that haven't made it up there yet.

Here is my comment to FCC

"I would like to continue receiving VOOM programming because of their commitment & track record of providing the most HDTV programming than any other single satellite, network or cable television provider. A new entity, VOOM HD LLC, has shown the desire to continue operating Rainbow-1 at the 61.5 frequencies, thereby maintaining a third satellite television provider rather than going back to only two providers. I would also like to remind the FCC of your past rulings that side on increased competition and consumer choices; therefore, the sale to Echostar as proposed, is clearly not in the best interest of the public."

subdude212 said:
Where does it say they won't?
The point was that "interested party" isn't nessisarily all those who simply care about the outcome. "Interested party" can also mean those with an involvement in the outcome. I'm enjoying Easter with my family this weekend, so I haven't had a chance to look over what has been said in the new rush of comments. But I can say that if the comment is not compelling it will barely make a footnote in the final decision, let alone affect the outcome.

For example a comment that simply says "this deal breaks that law" without specific reference to HOW the deal breaks the law is not going to impress the FCC. A comment that says "I like Voom service" isn't going to impress the FCC - because this isn't a popularity contest.

In my opinion, a well written 'complaint' comment would quote from E*'s application as well as prior FCC decisions on related issues WITHOUT telling the FCC what they MUST do. In addition, a comment (pro or con) will be taken more seriously if it is from an expert or authority. And of course all comments in this issue are subject to opposition comments from E* (if they desire). If E* opposes your comments you can file a reply.

Yes, the FCC seeks public comment. But they also seek useful comment. This deal is not up for approval based on a public opinion poll. It is up for approval based on the merits of the deal ... which are reasonably strong.

JL

Reminder: while everyone is free to file comments with the FCC, I urge everyone to use the keywords AGAINST, DENY or OPPOSE in your filing so there is absolutely no confusion as to your intent.

Riff...

JL...why couldn't you have taken this pose earlier?

I sincerely wish you had...you do have knowledge to offer, but you put me, and perhaps others, off by your negativity and snideness in the past. I doubt that anyone here, cheerleaders or critics, have their heads in a hole...the only "questionable" folks would be the newbies.

I'd like to publicly thank you for your recent posts that have been more objective, whether you supported or opposed the point made. That is all I ever hoped from you.

I apologize when I'm wrong...but I won't apologize now, because I feel your prior history demonstrates that you deserved what you got from me as well as others (at that time).

But your current demeanor (and I pray it's not just "playing nice" again) has caused me to reconsider what you post currently.

I don't ask that you agree with me or any other VoOm supporter...just that you acknowledge both sides and portray them with equal honesty...and not just try not to bury the body before it's cold. Thanks, for your recent posts. :) Vicki

andrzej said:
Why? Are you afraid of Voom?
I have both, and would rather see DISH add service using the Rainbow 1 Satellite.

If Voom is going to continue, its not by depending on Rainbow 1. That deal is supported by both parties to it.

I not only mentioned that they denied the merger of dish/directv but I also mentioned the rise of HDTVs and the demand for hd programming.

Hopefully our comments will make a difference in these trying times,

Confirmation # 2005327078594.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)