Feb. '09 Digital effect on SD Locals?

jldhawk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
Spirit Lake, Iowa
If we have SD locals NOW, but no HD, will E* be forced to transmit the Digital/HD feed?

I am in a 144 DMA, so I know we will be a long ways down on the list for locals in HD.

Dish will just grab the digital locals probably the same way they do analog now

If the channels broadcasts JUST in HD (like our local CBS does) Dish will probably zoom it to fit as SD

nope. new law has no effect on cable providers or on satellite providers. only on full power over the air broadcast. use your ota input on ur hd reciever is possible.

From what I was told, the local stations have two feeds, Analog that they give Dish Network and DIgital/HD that they have OTA and local cable. THey tell me that their SD/Analog signal will be simply shut off in Feb. '09, thus FORCING E* to crap or get off the pot.
So will E* just simply drop the Locals in smaller DMA'S?

From what I was told, the local stations have two feeds, Analog that they give Dish Network and DIgital/HD that they have OTA and local cable. THey tell me that their SD/Analog signal will be simply shut off in Feb. '09, thus FORCING E* to crap or get off the pot.
No, they'll run the channels through a digital to analog converter box, just like the $50 coupon boxes, and send that into the same SD encoders they use for the analog channels now.

Locals are setting up their digital feed to be available to cable and sat providers. Current dma's available to Dish will still be on Dish after analog is shut off. Who ever told you that they only supply analog is way off base.

if you have dish and they have your locals you're fine. it's simple to understand. plus your dish box has ota input. who ever has satellite or cable is fine.this is for people with old tv's and use an ota antenna with the old tv set. if you have an old tv but have sat or cable you're still good to go. digital does not mean hd. you have digital sd locals and hd digital locals.

if you have dish and they have your locals you're fine. it's simple to understand. plus your dish box has ota input. who ever has satellite or cable is fine.this is for people with old tv's and use an ota antenna with the old tv set. if you have an old tv but have sat or cable you're still good to go. digital does not mean hd. you have digital sd locals and hd digital locals.

SHHHHH! Do you have any idea how many subscribers Dish has added and/or upgraded because people thought they had to have HD by next year?! :p

No, that's not what they were asking. It's not a matter of whether you can get the signals from Dish, it's a matter of if Dish can get them from the station.

No, that's not what they were asking. It's not a matter of whether you can get the signals from Dish, it's a matter of if Dish can get them from the station.

Pretty sure that a Direct Broadcast Satellite company has never received their broadcasts via analog transmission... The signal goes

Broadcaster > Satellite > Dish Network> Satellite > Customer

That would have to be one REALLY big Antenna to send analog to space.

Dish and DirecTV have already started switching from OTA analog to cropped and down converted OTA digital; they are coordinating the change and there was a schedule listed by market floating around somewhere.

That would have to be one REALLY big Antenna to send analog to space.
Dish converts analog to MPEG2, when Dish and DirecTV started there was criticism of their 100% digital claims because most of the cable channels they had on their systems in digital were picked up off the main big dish feed in analog.

The following link is for a discussion (with a table of when transitions would occur for DMA's) of Dish Network switching their equipment from Analog to Digital to receive Locals. http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/136902-dish-converting-digital-locals-feeds.html

In the first message, there is a link to a file which actually gives dates of when Dish would update the equipment to receive the Digital SD Locals that would then be transmitted (rather than the analog that is currently being retransmitted). For instance, the transition for Kalamazoo/Battle Creek/Grand Rapids, MI is slated for July 21, 2008.

OP was asking about DMA 144 (which on this list is listed as Palm Springs, CA) is scheduled for January 19, 2009.

Geoff

Last edited:
Dish converts analog to MPEG2, when Dish and DirecTV started there was criticism of their 100% digital claims because most of the cable channels they had on their systems in digital were picked up off the main big dish feed in analog.

I see what you're saying....

Digital does not necessarily mean HD. My local ABC station is digital. I get them OTA, but they are definitely not HD. They are barely SD. Luckily, I can pick up the ABC from the neighboring DMA that is in HD.

Dish has already switched most their markets. You may notice on HDTV the logos of the Networks (like CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) have moved more towards the center. Dish just takes the HDTV signal and crops off the side now. The station logo is now in the 4:3 area of the screen.

The following link is for a discussion (with a table of when transitions would occur for DMA's) of Dish Network switching their equipment from Analog to Digital to receive Locals.

In the first message, there is a link to a file which actually gives dates of when Dish would update the equipment to receive the Digital SD Locals that would then be transmitted (rather than the analog that is currently being retransmitted). For instance, the transition for Kalamazoo/Battle Creek/Grand Rapids, MI is slated for July 21, 2008.

OP was asking about DMA 144 (which on this list is listed as Palm Springs, CA) is scheduled for January 19, 2009.

Geoff

What link are you pointing to?
I must have been wrong on what DMA I am in. I am within one or two points of 144 Sioux City, Ia.

My question was based on what the CEO of the NBC affiliate told me, he said they are simply going to un-plug the analog signal that they are now offering to Dish, and Dish has not told them what they are going to do, in order to KEEP the SD or upgrade to Digital. My main point is, my PQ SHOULD be better in Feb. '09 when this happens. IF Dish keeps this DMA.

What link are you pointing to?
I must have been wrong on what DMA I am in. I am within one or two points of 144 Sioux City, Ia.

My question was based on what the CEO of the NBC affiliate told me, he said they are simply going to un-plug the analog signal that they are now offering to Dish, and Dish has not told them what they are going to do, in order to KEEP the SD or upgrade to Digital. My main point is, my PQ SHOULD be better in Feb. '09 when this happens. IF Dish keeps this DMA.
Sorry about that. I wrote my note and then did not post the link. I updated the other message. Here is the link:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/136902-dish-converting-digital-locals-feeds.html

Geoff

PS-Sioux City, IA is slated for October 20, 2008.

Dish and Direct are picking up digitals now for SD in some markets.. They've been here. WHat they basically do is put the receiver in Cropped mode which fills a 4:3 screeen with non wide-screen stuff and simply chops the sides off at the same spot networks do on HD news when the story is shot in sd.. Those side bars go away. That is just what we also are doing with out translators since they do not need to go digital until 2012.

In this market, Direct had picked up one station as digital several years ago until about 2 years ago as the first station in the nation they did it on and used that as their template.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts