FIOS in Hampton Roads, VA

Back before Isabell I had a wire ran to the house from the pole. However since that hurricane and the uprooting of the tree in my front yard taking down six power/telephone poles, I haven't had anything. I didn't worry since I had Cox at the time.

So it there a different ONT for this setup? Would that better my chances of it being able to be put right at my meter at the rear of my garage? That is what I really want since my homeruns will be terminated there. Lastly are there any pros/cons other that no issues with storms knocking down the pole?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm very curious to what to expect.

Well if your neighborhood drops are aerial it will probably be aerial. My 1st and 2nd install where aerial. My friends who live a few miles from me are underground. Really outside no wire hanging from above It isn't a real difference.
I ran all my home runs myself, Verizon techs aren't great IMO with the routing of coax. Mine is on a Pole and I never had an issue. My friend damaged his buried cable by putting a swing set on it :).

Well, I really want ti buried. I don't see anything new on the poles near me (or on the one in my yard), so maybe there is hope. I will check again when I return to the area this weekend.

It used to be overhead, but not any longer. I went arount my neighborhood and the new fiber on the poles is going into the gray Cox boxes on the lines. Cox did a Project EON upgrade right after Verizon announced they were starting in my area. I still don't know what that is for. However I did see the guys with all of the heavy machinery. They were laying Verizon Fiber into a business park. The only other thing Verizon did here that I can see was put extra braided support on all of the poles. What confuses me is that the same new underground covers as others have is at the entrance of my neighborhood with conduit coming from it and tied off above ground a few feet away. That is making me think that they will be pulling it from there and trenching it around the streets (O-shaped street with one street across the middle).

Well, VZ turn the manhole into a CO while I was gone. It is beginning to look like a definitely underground run job for my neighborhood. Also I received another flyer from VZ stating that I'm getting closer to FiOS.

I'm tired so I will take a closer look tomorrow.

I think it is so funny how whenever the Verizon trucks are in the area, the Cox trucks are there too doing their EON upgrades. Today Verizon was in the area connecting their Fiber to link each neighborhood off of the main street, so they can start the runs into each area. I received a flyer from Cox a while back explaining the EON project upgrades on my street. Basically it is to compete with FiOS and its future offerings they are planning.

A friend of mine who works for Cox, stated how they are feeling the pressure from FiOS in their home market. They still have a good foothold in the corporate arena though here.

I love it, but Cox hasn't lowered thier prices. They do offer very short discounts, but their fees are too much higher than FiOS for an equal setup (i.e. 2 DVRs, triple bundle, Cox's highest internet tier, Premium channels, HD and DVR services, etc.).

Pretty pleased with FIOS so far. Great picture, and fast channel changing with the Tivo. I was about to through my D* remotes through the wall waiting for a channel change or a guide scroll!! I just couldnt take it anymore. I'm going to love watching TV in the rain. I can see myself going outside and pointing at the dishes and just laughing at my neighbors.

All the channels seem to be in the clear so far as I downloaded a movie from HDNET to my PC last night. YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!
Anyway regrets leaving D* after two weeks? Absolutely no complaints here! The TivoHD rocks, but I am still considering gettting Moxi HD to replace our one leased FiOS HD DVR.

Anyway regrets leaving D* after two weeks? Absolutely no complaints here! The TivoHD rocks, but I am still considering gettting Moxi HD to replace our one leased FiOS HD DVR.
No complaints.
1. PQ is really stellar and I am convinced that D*'s will be deteriorating exponentially when they try to catch up.
2. No encrption, I can backup every program that I pay for in the package on my computer from my TivoHD and do whatever I want to with my property.
3. I can watch TV flawlessly during the heaviest of storms.
4. I have no price increases for the next 2 years.

everything I have seen with Fiber in this city is underground and ALL utility plans come accross my desk for approval.

Well they have been running fiber on the poles this week. I'm not sure if they will go from there to bury it to the house, but I highly doubt it. I will try to ask one of them this week.

Well they have been running fiber on the poles this week. I'm not sure if they will go from there to bury it to the house, but I highly doubt it. I will try to ask one of them this week.
Hampton? Thats your problem. I grew up there, my father still lives there and everything is STILL overhead. Im not sure what the aversion is to spending money in that city to make power, cable, TV and phone reliable.

I see that all new contruction in Hampton is buried, so they are changing.

I agree buried is the way to go. Before I moved here I lived in an area with all utilities buried and it paid for itself with storms, winds and trees.

I see that all new contruction in Hampton is buried, so they are changing.

I agree buried is the way to go. Before I moved here I lived in an area with all utilities buried and it paid for itself with storms, winds and trees.
Its been aerial on Beach road where I grew up for 45 years.:rolleyes: If you live in a neighborhood with underground utilities and theres an outage after a storm you can take a drive and as soon as it goes aerial you can see the tree that has taken everyone out. Now these utility companies are making money hand over fist on us. Dominion is even handing out dividends to the users that will buy their stock. Now these cities should require each utility to replace a percentage of their infrastructure underground every year for the welfare and quality of life of its citizens or fine them. How many people die running cars into these poles?

Last edited:
Update: The VZ Fiber Diagnostics Truck is in the neighborhood and several more checking lines in a 3 mile radius outward today along with some others. It is fun watching it progress. I have my son excited about it too. Even DW smiles when we pass them working or see the service loops on the lines.

Last edited:
I know the feeling. Verizon has been in my neighborhood here in Portsmouth, VA laying cables for the last three days. My better half is real excited because she is only three weeks or so from getting the lifetime channels in hd. I am happy because I will be getting channel 4(SEC football) and channel 33(ACC football and basketball) in hd. I will also be getting ESPNUHD in time for the start of the college football season and the WWE channel. What kind of package deals are where I can get FIOS TV, FIOS Internet, and phone service on one bill? I now pay over $250 for the Directv Premier package(4 HR 21's) and Verizon phone service with dsl included.

My better half is real excited because she is only three weeks or so from getting the lifetime channels in hd.

It must be the estrogen, because mine is so happy to have that channel too. This is why I have to get her own DVR.

I am happy because I will be getting channel 4(SEC football) and channel 33(ACC football and basketball) in hd. I will also be getting ESPNUHD in time for the start of the college football season

I didn't know about the ACC in HD channel. What a bonus that will be! Thanks for the heads up.

What kind of package deals are where I can get FIOS TV, FIOS Internet, and phone service on one bill? I now pay over $250 for the Directv Premier package(4 HR 21's) and Verizon phone service with dsl included.

That is what I was paying for Cox too. I can't wait for the cheaper rates for better package/bundle. As for the FiOS Bundles there are three being advertised for us here. If you order online, then subtract $5 per month. Also another forum to get a lot of information is here. It has a lot of information, but has been very helpful with before/after FiOS help and knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)