FIRST LOOK: Dish 500+ Dish 1000+ and the Dish 1000.2!

mike123abc said:
The satellite is on its last legs, the momentum wheels are broke so it turns out of position constantly, only to be turned back to pointing at the earth via a thruster. The estimated amount of fuel now is down to less than 40 months because of the constant corrections. Maybe they will eventually move E6 over there. The replacement satellite for 129 is 18 months or so away.

I can see it now... the code in Dish's facility

if 129W.SigStr < 50 then begin
repeat
129W.FireRotation := TRUE;
until 129W.SigStr > 80;
129W.FireRotation := FALSE;
end;

Dish lists the problems with their satellites in their quarterly and annual reports. After all if a $100 million satellite only lasts 40 more months instead of the original 10 years design life is was supposed to have left, they want it disclosed they will be spending another boatload of $$ to replace it.

I'm not sure they really "want it disclosed" but the shareholders want to know, that's for sure.

mike123abc said:
Dish lists the problems with their satellites in their quarterly and annual reports. After all if a $100 million satellite only lasts 40 more months instead of the original 10 years design life is was supposed to have left, they want it disclosed they will be spending another boatload of $$ to replace it.

If I had known it was in the 10Q I would have looked, lol.

Now I am somewhat curious don't they have insurance on it? XM sure did on theirs that are failing early.

So you mean to tell me that a lot of the satellites that were launched are only lasting around 4-5 years instead of the expected lifetime of 10 years?

If that is the case then I look at it this way ... will Dish Network be around longer than 5 years anyways with this rapidly changing technology? I know that Dish Network is technology driven as they like to be the first ones to come out with something but this IPTV is going to KILL them and DirecTv if they dont do something soon about it. We are talking SLAUGHTERHOUSE here and it will take NO time at all for the majority of their subs to be GONE without something done in the future. No internet, no business. IPTV all the way. Cable = internet and local channels. Satellite = ???

I had a long conversation with a Dish Network CSR and he says that the bundling deals are really hurting Dish Network right now in that a lot of people are shutting service off because of that. I will personally tell you that a lot of customers are also going to DirecTv.

Also, if they replace the satellite sooner than the 10 year life expectancy then we would see an improved satellite much sooner rather than later. With technology changing so rapidly there may be a strong need to replace that satellite long before its life is up. Thing of how many advancements there will be within the next five years. We have already seen spotbeam technology as one advancement requiring new satellites. What's next down the road?

Seems like this is getting off topic though.

Last edited:
Yeah it is getting off topic...just one last remark...the more people signing up for E* HD, and then realize that the service is unreliable because of the beat up 129, the more will cancel again and run to D*, thus badmouthing E* of course, which does hurt their business even more.

With cable getting more and more HD combined with the bundling and not having to spend all that money to get the HD with cable, this will hurt E VERY badly!

Because Dish Network will be officially be announcing these new Dishes this week at Team Summit I am making this thread a stick again.

Also I should note its been quite awhile since we publiclly announced these new Dishes, and actually we were talking about these new Dishes for quite awhile before we publiclly announced them here in our Pub Members forum.

If you have seen the words Dish 500+ Dish 1000+ and Dish 1000.2 here or anyplace else please remember it was SatelliteGuys who first mentioned these words and made them part of the Satellite Dictionary. :)

We are now on our way to Team Summit! :)

dirkleearm said:
I have been installing a second dish for almost all HD customers. Some are using the D1000, I believe they will be sorry when the weather changes (levels are marginal at best):rolleyes:

Big difference in levels. See attachmentView attachment 9514

Sure hope it works better down south, 60 miles north of Mexican border. I'm getting a Dish 1000 with Vip 211 installed tommorow to upgrade my HD package from the mpeg2 Hd Pak to Bronze. Guess I'd better ask the installer to show me the signal strengths before I sign off on the installation. :rolleyes:

Fortunately (or unfortunately!) "weather changes" in southern AZ usually entail changing only from hot to hotter. :devil:

Maybe I should ask for a motorized mount so I can rotate & follow 129 when it goes into a loopity-loop?

Motorized Dish

New to this Forum:

I searched this thread, but couldn't find the info I need, so here goes:

I have a motorized 36" dish, which I control from a computer. My present LNB only receives 12.2-12.7 GHz. I'm looking for a way to receive 118.7 without adding any switches. Is there a circular LNB out there that will receive the entire range that 118.7/119 transmits?

Have DN and just got a HDTV, what do I need?

Dish Home

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)