FIRST LOOK: Dish 500+ Dish 1000+ and the Dish 1000.2!

saguaro said:
My understanding is that linear LNB for FSS satellite should work with either reverse polarity dish (such as Toroidal) or a normal dish (such as Superdish).

Reverse polarity dish (such as Toroidal) requires reverse polarity LNB only for circular polarity DBS satellite.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
This is correct.

Smith said:
Reversing polarity for linear sat signal means 90 degree, not 180.
For circular LNBF, rotation to any angle DOESN'T matter - need changing internal circuit, ie reversing 13/18 VDC or DiSEqC control signals.

You are any of the good engineering people on this forum know how to reverse an Invacom Quad 0.3 so you could get a reversed circular 0.3.

What I wouldnt give for several of those - and it sounds like I might not be the only one.

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
You are any of the good engineering people on this forum know how to reverse an Invacom Quad 0.3 so you could get a reversed circular 0.3.
Hell, I'd love it if someone could just reverse any DishPro lnb.

I've been reading this thread and I can't find out the answer to my one question: Will I be able to get all the HD channels with ONE dish? I live in Pennsylvania, and my only solution right now is 2 dishes. That is not happening while I am still married. I was lucky to get one dish on my roof. I won't upgrade to any new HD channels or the new 211 receiver until I know I can get a One-Dish solution.

I hope that is what E* is planning. I am hoping that I can replace my Dish 500 with a 500+. If they move all national HD to 118.7, the Dish 500+ should be my ticket to the One-Dish solution, right?

Will we find out soon if this is what E* plans?

Smith said:
Reversing polarity for linear sat signal means 90 degree, not 180.
For circular LNBF, rotation to any angle DOESN'T matter - need changing internal circuit, ie reversing 13/18 VDC or DiSEqC control signals.

One case where doing a 180 is the same as doing a 360.:D

HDTVFanAtic said:

What I wouldnt give for several of those - and it sounds like I might not be the only one.

Invacom LNBF would be easy to mod comparing to Dish DP LNBF;
there are two ways to do it - try to contact Invacom _sales_ department and convince them make 1000 LNBF at least ( remember it should be profitable for the company ) or give the LNBF to one of us for dissecting :).

PS. Well, I'm start thinking DP LNBF could be doable too.

Last edited:
It's been posted that 5 HD LiLs will be on 118.7, and Internationals. Nationwide HD is NOT scheduled to go on 118.7. So few people will be affected.

delanewf said:
I've been reading this thread and I can't find out the answer to my one question: Will I be able to get all the HD channels with ONE dish? I live in Pennsylvania, and my only solution right now is 2 dishes. That is not happening while I am still married. I was lucky to get one dish on my roof. I won't upgrade to any new HD channels or the new 211 receiver until I know I can get a One-Dish solution.

I hope that is what E* is planning. I am hoping that I can replace my Dish 500 with a 500+. If they move all national HD to 118.7, the Dish 500+ should be my ticket to the One-Dish solution, right?

Will we find out soon if this is what E* plans?

Just explain to your wife that the Soap Channel will be moving to the other dish.

For what it's worth- I have 2 dishes now. I have not upgraded yet from my 942/811 setup, but I talked to 2 different csrs in the last week, and both told me that when I upgraded, they would be replacing my 2 dishes with one (the 1000), and that I would get all channels with it. Could just be my area, though.

Smith said:
Invacom LNBF would be easy to mod comparing to Dish DP LNBF;
there are two ways to do it - try to contact Invacom _sales_ department and convince them make 1000 LNBF at least ( remember it should be profitable for the company ) or give the LNBF to one of us for dissecting :).

I have a Invacom Quad 031 just sitting here - got a great price on it - $39 only to find out I needed the C120 Flange instead of a 40mm Horn on the 1.2 it was destined for.

It fits on a Toroidal, even though its a big puppy!

I will find a use for it eventually, but if you are serious about cracking the case and seeing if you can reverse the polarity on it, message me some info and I'll have it in the mail this week.

If you are successful, I'd probably have some others done as well!

Derwin0 said:
That will not work for circular signals.
I mount an entire dish upside down to get a low angle (148), and it still works. So being upside down changes nothing for a circular signal.

This is the second reference to mounting a dish upside down I have seen in the last week.

At the risk of asking a foolish question, hell that's never stopped me before :D, why would one mount a dish upside down and what are the advantages?

As I was playing around on the roof for the last 5 days with a 1.2M and despite my roof as an entry way to the twilight zone http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=67458 , I could not find 148 and I suspect that I could not get the dish elevation low enough (it kept hitting a bracing mount that low). Is this the only reason to do that and must you change something out in the lnb to accomplish that?

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
At the risk of asking a foolish question, hell that's never stopped me before :D, why would one mount a dish upside down and what are the advantages?
Normally a Dish 500 can only go down as low as 14 degrees before hitting the bracket mount. By Mounting it upside down, I can get it down as far as 4 degrees, which is good since my EL for 148 is 6 degrees.
My method of mounting a Dish 500 upsidedown was to remove the pan from the skew plate and rotate it upside down and reattach. This allowed me to keep an accurate skew, and removes 10 degrees from the elevation reading, if it says 20 degrees, I'm really at 10 degrees.
I could have flipped the whole thing upside down, but this seemed somewhat cleaner, plus easier to aim once I deduced the 10 degree offset.
The lnb is fine coming from the top. The signal now comes in below it and bounces up to the lnb, whereas normally it comes in from top and bounces down to it.

Last edited:
JohnH said:
I just tilted the mast on the 30" dish to get 148. Looks better with it pointing at the ground. :)
I tried that at first, but the wall face that I mounted the mast on didn't face the right direction. So I decided that an upside down dish on a plumb mast was easier to aim than a tilted mast.

no they're not

105 & 121 are KU band Linear
118 is KU band CIRCULAR

so the 118 is like the LNB's at 110,119,129 etc but the frequency range of 105 & 121

So is this something that's never been done before or is there some kind of weird European LNB that would work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)