FIRST LOOK: Dish 500+ Dish 1000+ and the Dish 1000.2!

HDTVFanAtic said:
All I can say is this really is poor planning. I might hate D* for HDLITE and lack of HDLITE Content, but atleast they seem to have some long term thinking in place - unlike E*.

I've been thinking a little bit about this. I'm thinking that maybe Dish will start with consolidating many or most of the international channels first to 118. As spots are avaialable, adding in some LIL HD (free dish upgrade when your locals are there), which will help to free up resources on other sat locations. National HD won't be required there for a while with the channels that are out and currently planned (maybe a year or so).

Either that, or they will get them out in bulk now, upgrade all MPEG4 users with the new dish, and build up from there.

Jeff_R said:
I've been thinking a little bit about this. I'm thinking that maybe Dish will start with consolidating many or most of the international channels first to 118.

Only flaws with that plan would be:

1. expensive dish, international customers complaining about superdish. They do not usually get free installs since they do not sub to regular AT packages. This is why they decided to move the internationals off of 121.

2. Most international will be single dish pointed to 61.5 or 148 since they do not subscribe to AT

3. Internationals are too small a market to waste the most valuable CONUS satellite location on...

Of course Dish has been known to arrange channels on statellites in the poorest possible way in the past...

What would be the purpose of having the internationals on the 118 sat?We already have them on the 61.5 and the 121 sat . It would be a waste of space to triplecate it.

Now national hd channels would make the most sense to me. It would end the duplication of hd channels at 61.5 and 129 sat since there are problems with everyone in the country receiving either one. They could still use the 61.5 and the 129 sats for hd locals , especially when they add the spotbeam sat for 129. Dish needs to simplify this a bit .

I don't see the reason to have all three kinds of dishes. It should be one standard dish 500 + and depending on whether you need the 129 sat it would become a dish 1000+ . The dish pan is the same size so the only thing that would change is the added 129 lnb. The dish 1000.2 is plain stupid. Why keep adding dishes and then changing them. ONE standard should be applied to ALL .

What are they going to do with the 121 sat that they own and the 105 sat that they lease? Dish has more satellites then they can use and still we don't have all the locals in standard def yet for the rest of the country? Dish needs to do some actual long range planning and settle on one standard for everything. It is a waste of effort, resources by both Dish and for its customers , who have to keep upgrading and $$$PAYING to do the upgrades to get hd. I mean come on first the hd channels were at 61.5 /148, then they were at 110 ,61.5 and 148 and now finally we have them at 61.5/148/110 and now 129 soon to have them at 118.

Settle on one dish standard, and put the hd at the 118 and LEAVE it there.

Last edited:
FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
well I have two 211's already so if I need a new dish for more HD then they can give it to me free of course........they ask for anymore money then I'm gone

I won't be far behind you..... this is getting ridiculous. My two 811's are now collecting dust in the basement and my four month old Dish 1000 will become a birdbath soon.... where does it end? :mad:

My new Dish 1000+ better be FREE!

Last edited:
Yeah because I paid $299 for the HD upgrade, which was $200 upfront for the receiver and $99 for the dish install. Means I would have paid that $99 basically for nothing, if the D1000 would be obsolete soon. This has nothing to do with WANTING stuff for free, I already paid for it and it ain't none of my concern if they have to replace the dish, because of changes. This could go on forever like that. I don't want stuff for free if I want to upgrade to HD, but I don't wanna pay if it's for maintaining just the use of my subscription, because of technical changes. :mad:

MikeD-C05 said:
What are they going to do with the 121 sat that they own and the 105 sat that they lease? Dish has more satellites then they can use and still we don't have all the locals in standard def yet for the rest of the country? Dish needs to do some actual long range planning and settle on one standard for everything. It is a waste of effort, resources by both Dish and for its customers , who have to keep upgrading and $$$PAYING to do the upgrades to get hd. I mean come on first the hd channels were at 61.5 /148, then they were at 110 ,61.5 and 148 and now finally we have them at 61.5/148/110 and now 129 soon to have them at 118
Settle on one dish standard, and put the hd at the 118 and LEAVE it there.

Bravo! Very well stated. This running around like a chicken with it's head cut off is getting ridiculous.

knightwolf61 said:
So will I eventually need to upgrade my Dish 1000 to a 1000+ in order to get all of the HD channels?

I hope not. They better do it for free. Why should the customer pay for E* Management Team's incompetence? There is absolutely no planning with this company.

I believe this 118.7 deal was in the works long before the 129 deal, just the FCC approved the 129 deal first.

I do believe that Dish will do right by the customer on this one as its ultimately helping them.

No, we don't KNOW yet if an upgrade to the 1000+ will be needed for HD, at least anytime soon. Some SUSPECT it. It may be years off, or may never happen. Or we could have some bad news coming out soon.

But we won't KNOW until June or July at the earliest.

Heads up for pub members I just posted a bunch of information on the 118.7 Satellite which I can't post here yet.

Please remember none of this is official by Echostar, so it must be considered a rumor until official announced by Echostar. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
I believe this 118.7 deal was in the works long before the 129 deal, just the FCC approved the 129 deal first.

Then they should have had some foresight and put in the combo 119/118.7 lnb from the beginning and not had a +.

That way would have been much less expense as they could cancel those and go to a single 119 lnb if FCC approval did not come in.

As it is now, to send installers out to replace probably 25,000-50,000 D1000 is a tremendous waste of money and resources and just runs up what they will end up sending to installers.

This is no different a debacle in long term planning then the screw up on Echostar X.

And to think an analyst today stated he though E* had great long term strategy, ROFLMAO.

This is starting to look like yet another hair brained scheme from Dish that does not pan out... 105 the start of national HD plan not working because the satellite did not have good coverage, 129 has big issues in a lot of the country, E10 out of spec on some TPs, new dishes yet again just after Dish1000 released...

They appear to be lucky in that they got E10 working after they had it out of spec and had delays in getting operating permission on some TPs.

I wonder how many months until they find another satellite to move around for a new dish...

At least I am in a good spot and can easily get every satellite from 61.5 - 148, so will be ready to point a dish at the next great satellite...

So did Dish Network plan on offering the content that is currently on 129 on 118.7 but had to put it at 129 instead? If Dish originally wanted the content that is at 129 on 118.7 because it is easier to see, then I wonder if they will migrate the content there eventually. Seems like everying is always a mess and in a shuffle. Come on Dish and Direct, share satellite space and avoid all of this hassle. Does Charlie have nothing better to do?

How much bigger will the new Dish 1000.2 be compared to the old D1000 and would it be worth to replace the existing for 129 signal sake? How much would it approximately cost?

I'll pass on this dish upgrade. I'll keep what I have now a dish 500 peaked in the 100's and a dish 1000 peaked for the 129 sat in the 80's. Could care less about internationals.

JohnH said:
How about there was no license for a receive dish from 118.7 when the DiSH 1000 was released.

Again, it would have been cheaper to build the 118.7 lnb into the 119 1000+ from day one and once the license was rejected, move back to a standard 119 lnb then to pay a truck charge to send a tech back out and replace out all the 119 lnbs with a 118/119 lnb.

However, the latest info released seems to show that there will only be 5 HD LILs on 118 and the rest internationals - so it isnt as big of an issue as it was speculated 36 hours ago when the moderators indicated it would be a HD only bird.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Again, it would have been cheaper to build the 118.7 lnb into the 119 1000+ from day one and once the license was rejected, move back to a standard 119 lnb then to pay a truck charge to send a tech back out and replace out all the 119 lnbs with a 118/119 lnb.
With the FCC you don't do it until you have a license. They want to have their say first, since they are the authority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)