Found a Large 8 or 10 ft dish for free. What would be needed to install with todays receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tif

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Northeastern US
Hi All
I've had an offer to obtain a free mesh dish just for removing it. What would I need to install it to work with today's receivers? I haven't went over to look at the dish yet but its been out of service for a few years. What type of motor do these use because most likely I'll have to replace it and will a newer receiver drive a motor for this dish like it does for my ku band 36" dish? Do I need to change the lnb also?

I'm not sure when and if I'll have time to tackle this project so for now I'm in the early stages of wondering what I need to do to get it installed and working and if it's worth the effort?

All advice is welcomed...

Thanks
Tif

a G-Box or V-Box will operate the actuator to move the dish(hopefully, it's in good condition). I would change out the feed/lnb's with a new LNBF(for ease of operation, no servo to contend with) That's about it. Optionally, a DVB-S2 HD receiver(for the most enjoyment). I'd keep the Ku on the on the 36inch(personal preference, as a combined C/Ku LNBF are compromising performance to get both bands)
I would say it's worth it.

Do it in steps. Put the pole in and get the dish up. Use allthread and two L brackets in place of the actuator. That way you can start watching your favorite C band satellite. Those old LNBs tend to give you better signal than the new ones although you would eventually need a solution for adjusting the polorator. Until then, leave it on horizontal. That old motor may come alive if you pull it apart and clean it up. My unit has been a work in progress for three years and I have no regrets.

Last edited:
i agree especially with using seperate dishes for c and ku. My c band dish does a lot better with a straight c band lnbf without the ku.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to pick up the dish next Saturday. I'll post some pics when I get it moved to its new home. I'm not sure when I'll get time to set things up but I'm sure I'll have more questions when I do.

I would see if there is a dish mover with it. (either an old analog receiver or 4dtv receiver) If there is you can set that up with the dish in order to have motor control. I would then get a good blind-scanning dvb-s2 capable receiver to run with the dish mover. Then you can get most everything up there that is in the clear. There is a lot of good programming in between 87W and 103W among others.

I now have the dish. I went over on the weekend and took it down. I was able to take it apart in half and transport it. There is a old actuator on the dish but I'm not sure if it works. The original owner said it still moved the dish when he shut things down. Is there an easy way to check if it works. I do not have an old receiver. I plan on ordering a vbox in the future.

Also since the dish was only about 6 miles from my home I figure the elevation and declination should be set correctly.

What type of lnb should I buy? The one on the dish is in really bad shape. I know some have mentioned that the combo lnb's C/ku may not be a good choice. Although they look tempting ... I suppose if the combo didn't work out you could just not use the ku side.

I'll try to get some pictures of the dish and post them.

I would suggest that you purchase a C-band only LNBF if that is what you really wish to receive. The combo C/KU band LNBFs sacrifice signal quality that is not regained if you decide to only use the C-band side.

You can check the motor by using a car battery or car battery charger connected to the M1 and M2 terminals of the motor. Be sure NOT to connect the power across the sensor terminals.

Stay far away from combo c/ku lnbf's. They suck imo.

Get a 90 cm or larger solid dish for ku. It just works better to have seperate c and ku dishes.

You can use any battery that capable of supplying 2 to 3 amps. 12volts to 36volts. Connect to the heavy wires coming out of the actuator. Reverse the connections to reverse direction. If the wiring is/has been removed, remove the cover and locate the proper connections. Usually the heaviest wires to the terminals. Caution, hooking power to the sensor will usually destroy the sensor.
I'd go single band, then later if desired, try a dual band. Being what they are, they are finniky to adjust and are a compromise. BTW my C2 LNBF is doing a bang up job. Here's what I did for motorized Ku, and it's rockin', a 10'+30" dish- - (I should add, it's a 100% steel dish.)

Attachments

• Ku_back.jpg
    Ku_back.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 244
I suspect 98% chance that your motor will work if the old owner was telling the truth. However you should pull it apart and clean the long threaded rod so the motor will continue to work in the future. However first get that dish up and pointed at something interesting. Assuming you have a big screen and S2, I suggest 91W or 107W.

I've used my 10 ft BUD for several years with a c/ku LNB BSC621-2 with a CW 800. Loved it. The dish was free for the sweat of taking it down. I was cheap and even dug up the 4 inch pole and the concrete.The motor was bad so I downloaded the AV Dish Aiming Coordinates and used it as a fixed dish. I marked my locations on my 4 inch pole and the dish base mount. I could spin it around to where I wanted and adjusted my elevation and I was up and running.
Just never could get 97W.
Now I am setting up a smaller unit at my office (in the city) due to relocation. I offered my BUD to my daughter at our home place but for some reason the newer generation just don't appreciate my hobby. I'm having fun setting up a smaller unit. Not a big expense for my addiction!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts