Fox News is back

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Got this in e-mail from Dish and I am not with them anymore.... Your Fox News and Fox Business stations are back on DISH!
Finance
DISH
To
me
Today at 8:37 PM

Dear Valued DISH customer,

Thank you for your patience!

We are pleased to announce that Fox News and Fox Business have been restored as a result of our reaching a new, long-term agreement with Fox.

We know these past few weeks were frustrating and we thank you for your patience as we worked towards an agreement. We were very appreciative of all the comments, both supportive and critical, that our customers sent to DISH and Fox during this time.

With this new agreement, you can continue to enjoy Fox News and Fox Business on DISH without interruption for many years to come.

Thank you for being a valued DISH customer,
DISH

Here is what I think happened with the negotiations. A compromise was reached on the FS1/FXX contract that Fox was wanting to re-negotiate before it expired. Both that contract and the FNC/FXB contract were extended with new long-term agreements, but in order to not set a bad precedent, the FS1/FXX contract will remain as is until the expiration date, but will then kick in automatically at the newly contracted rate. This way, neither party will have to negotiate either contract for years to come. Win/win. SlingTV streaming rights were also obtained, and the Fox lawsuit against Dish will be dropped.

Ok, that last line is probably more pie-in-the-sky thinking, but hey, what the hell.

If this was settled w/o settling the litigation than that's kind of a bad business decision.

Why do you think Ergin was giving everyone $50 credits? Do you think he is Santa Claus? Or was he desparate?

The exact opposite. Why give credits if you are going to cave and pay what FOX wants. And if they were desperate they would have also simply agreed. No, my thought is DISH was willing to go on without FOX for the long term.

I have to laugh at those who think Charlie won. If it was going so well, why not keep the blackout going and really teach Murdoch a good lesson? Ergen's body language in that video doesn't indicate victory.

I have to laugh at you that is maybe your most outlandish thought yet. An agreement can be met, but just for the heck of it don't agree? Ok then.

"Fox News has been blocked from Dish’s 14 million subscribers since last month. Even with the Paris-related spike, Fox’s total prime-time ratings were still down about 8.5 percent compared to the same week last year.

CNN scored the biggest year-over-year spike, averaging 646,000 prime-time viewers, compared to only 389,000 a year ago. The network nearly doubled its audience in the key demo, with 235,000 viewers compared to 129,000 last year. CNN often benefits significantly from major news events."

Hmm ???

The important thing is that I am no longer forced not to watch FNC. I can now choose not to watch it again. Viva la liberté!
I hear you ! The first thing I did tonight when I got home was to once again lock out FOX news and FOX Business channels on my hopper and joeys . Didn't ever miss it when it was gone ,because I had it locked out before it was taken down. :smug

Reactions: bamasat
"Fox News has been blocked from Dish’s 14 million subscribers since last month. Even with the Paris-related spike, Fox’s total prime-time ratings were still down about 8.5 percent compared to the same week last year.

CNN scored the biggest year-over-year spike, averaging 646,000 prime-time viewers, compared to only 389,000 a year ago. The network nearly doubled its audience in the key demo, with 235,000 viewers compared to 129,000 last year. CNN often benefits significantly from major news events."

Hmm ???

I knew that Charlie would never give in to Rupert and in the end the lack of viewers for FOX NEWS/BUSINESS hurt FOX more than it hurt Charlie. I salute old Charlie Ergen for standing up to this type of channel extortion, greed & tyranny. :hatsoff

I knew that Charlie would never give in to Rupert and in the end the lack of viewers for FOX NEWS/BUSINESS hurt FOX more than it hurt Charlie. I salute old Charlie Ergen for standing up to this type of channel extortion, greed & tyranny. :hatsoff
You see?? They see??
I see ground work laid with a smile.
Sudden link and others (including Dish) saying
" enough is enough and we don't need your MTV".
Many large conglomerations in the media world (not just TV) are currently in a learning stage/class they never thought they would attend .. Little lone sign up for.
Better look up big boys and at that chalk board.. Somebody is teaching lessons .
(and it definitely includes Mr Murdoch from the other threads). (Smiles)

Just to intrude reality on this thread: I honestly don't understand how anyone on either side can say with any certainty that one side caved or the other did. Unless some here have seen the contract(s), we have no way of knowing what the final terms are. Maybe Fox caved, maybe Dish did, or maybe they met somewhere in the middle. Since no one here knows, I really don't see the point in trying to rub each other's faces in it by proclaiming that one side won and the other caved.

All that said, I truly hope Dish won this round because losing it would have had awful implications for all future disputes and the security of existing valid carriage agreements.

Posted my comments on the Dish Stands for You site. Never heard anything about a credit. :(

thank god Fox News and Fox Business returned to Dish tonight.

i wonder if Fox was the one who caved.

i hope the new deal was more then just the return Fox News and Fox Business (yes, i will leave political views of said channels out of it as i'm talking about the business and not the politics of the two sides) and that is, Dish agree to extened the FXX/FS1 and FS2 contract to where the old contract ends, the new one begins without negotiations being needed as they got a renewal in advance so no need to worry about the channels going dark. and also possibly reached an agreement for a settlement on the recent lawsuits Fox/News Corporation filed against Dish over features of the Hooper whole home DVR system. and also work up digital rights to have Dish customers access to some of the on-demand streaming contend on some fox networks sites like FX Now for FX, FXX and FXM and the Simpsons world app for long time Simpsons fans to relive the Simpsons glory years (1991-1996 in my mind) and Fox Sports GO as well as access to live streams of the Fox owned and operated stations (like KDFW in Dallas, my local Fox station which is a Fox O&O)

BTW I never did get my credit either even though I filled out my comments about a week ago. Would have been nice but good for those who got it. But in addition to how I look at adding credits and free PPVs to the whole spend I have with Dish, I also like to keep a loose tab on them as the value I get from this site (because this is where I learn about these things) as a justification for my support membership and $50 in the win column would have been nice.

Of course if Scott reads this he might want to raise the fee and then I'd have to go all Charlie on him....

I too will also be able to renew my SatelliteGuys Pub Membership when it's due with the savings I got from Dish, when they gave me a very decent discount for 6 months after I complained about Fox News & Fox Business being down. :baby

A source tells The Hollywood Reporter that the Fox News Channel won an increase in the per subscriber per month payment.

A source close to the negotiations said Dish agreed to pay an average monthly fee of $1.50 per subscriber for Fox News, the most-watched cable news network. The fee is "significantly higher" than what Dish paid previously, the source said.

The new agreement is believed to extend at least five years.

In addition, the Fox Business Channel will be moved to the same tier that currently carries Fox News, which is essentially the Dish version of basic cable carriage. Until now Fox Business has been on a higher tier, which subscribers must elect to receive for an additional fee.

Fox News and Fox Business will not be on the Dish's upcoming over-the-top service Sling TV, but
satellite customers may have TV everywhere rights to the channels, according to the source.

Last edited:
A source tells The Hollywood Reporter that the Fox News Channel won an increase in the per subscriber per month payment.

A source close to the negotiations said Dish agreed to pay an average monthly fee of $1.50 per subscriber for Fox News, the most-watched cable news network. The fee is "significantly higher" than what Dish paid previously, the source said.

The new agreement is believed to extend at least five years.

In addition, the Fox Business Channel will be moved to the same tier that currently carries Fox News, which is essentially the Dish version of basic cable carriage. Until now Fox Business has been on a higher tier, which subscribers must elect to receive for an additional fee.

Fox News and Fox Business will not be on the Dish's upcoming over-the-top service Sling TV, but
satellite customers may have TV everywhere rights to the channels, according to the source. Ouch.

Look at your source. Rates do go up and it wasn't about the money. It was about contracts that had nothing to do with Fox News. But as you've been told that many times you're never going to accept that. So why don't you just move along? Why do you have to hassle us?

Status
Please reply by conversation.