Fox Sues Dish Over Ad-Skipping Auto Hop

I am wondering if the question will come up of what we the consumers can do to fight this. Besides writing some strongly worded letters to the FCC I dont have anything in mind.

But Primetime Anytime is not VOD, a user chooses to DVR those shows, they are not automatically recorded on their own.

VOD would also have more then one episode available. :D

VOD wouldn't have the president spread across all 4 channels with his speech either. You would watch that somewhere else on VOD if you wanted to see that.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I'm not saying that they would go after consumers. But one of their theories is that consumers in using the Hopper and Sling adapter are violating their copyright, so hypothetically, they could seek damages for those actions. I'm not saying it's likely, but implying that time shifting and place shifting is a breach of copyright law is in itself a very significant attack on consumer rights (regardless of whether they go after consumers directly or Dish indirectly based on that).

I don't read it that way. Fox's complaint and claim for relief says that IF "Dish contends that the unlawful copying described herein is done by its subscribers", then Fox says, "B***S***." "Dish's regular involvement is an indispensable link in it's customer's infringing conduct." etc.

IOW, We don't blame dish customers, they only do this because they are enabled and encouraged by DISH.

JPhil said:
I don't read it that way. Fox's complaint and claim for relief says that IF "Dish contends that the unlawful copying described herein is done by its subscribers", then Fox says, "B***S***." "Dish's regular involvement is an indispensable link in it's customer's infringing conduct." etc.

IOW, We don't blame dish customers, they only do this because they are enabled and encouraged by DISH.

I read it differently, it's more along the lines of: if the claim that Dish is violating copyright fails because there is a finding that it is user enabled, then the users are violating copyright and Dish should be held liable for enabling and encouraging these activities. In other words, consumers time and place shifting content is not covered by fair use and it is unlawful. (which really is contrary to precedent and ridiculous given the decades of first VCR then DVR, media PCs and sling use.)

They don't go after the customers directly because that would be a no win for them. Expensive litigation with awful press surrounding the entire thing. It would just anger people and make them look even more anti consumer than just going after Dish.

I read it differently, it's more along the lines of: if the claim that Dish is violating copyright fails because there is a finding that it is user enabled, then the users are violating copyright and Dish should be held liable for enabling and encouraging these activities. In other words, consumers time and place shifting content is not covered by fair use and it is unlawful. (which really is contrary to precedent and ridiculous given the decades of first VCR then DVR, media PCs and sling use.)

They don't go after the customers directly because that would be a no win for them. Expensive litigation with awful press surrounding the entire thing. It would just anger people and make them look even more anti consumer than just going after Dish.

Well, we are just going to be in disagreement on the intent of the second claim. I think it's pretty clear.

As for time shifting, Fox makes it clear throughout the complaint that this is not about normal DVR usage (i.e. time shifting). Specifically they seek an injunction and damages only for Prime Time Anytime and Sling.

Everyone gets this, right? They aren't just trying to shut down autohop but all of Prime Time Anytime.

Transmission over the internet, which is expressly forbidden in their retransmission agreement (Breach of Contract).

Ok so my question is is this.

They knew about the Sling last year when they (Fox) entered into a new contract with Dish.So why are they just now bringing up a lawsuit for that?Did they order Dish to cease usage of the Sling in the wording of said contract?If so I don't recall hearing about it.

Ok so my question is is this.

They knew about the Sling last year when they (Fox) entered into a new contract with Dish.So why are they just now bringing up a lawsuit for that?Did they order Dish to cease usage of the Sling in the wording of said contract?If so I don't recall hearing about it.

If you are trying to make an argument of Laches, it's more difficult than you think. Dish would have to prove that the delay in making a claim actually harmed their ability to defend.

I'm not trying to argue for anything.Just think it's a fair question to ask and your answer didn't really answer the question.

I don't think the media is going to be sympathetic to Dish, and why should they? Auto Hop is a threat, all media is keenly aware of the shrinking revenue stream. Auto hop is fouling another piece of the revenue that is already threatened by many but profoundly by streaming and ultimately the internet.
Even though the percentages Auto Hop affects seem small now, in reality the Networks know that if this is not stopped right here right now all TV programing could be at the whim of a PTAT, a Auto Hop or the next best manipulation to come along. Advertising is the fuel that runs the machine, if that dries up, even in a small area a new source must be found to maintain the status quo.
I suspect the Networks knew this was coming, but the Advertisers probably didn't. The advertisers have been putting the screws to the networks since this hit the street. If I was running the ad department at Apple, my line would be, get this fixed now or adjust my advertising rate considerably.
This could be a game changer, Dish has the populous now and knows it, but if subscription fees rise and or the fear of legal entanglement escalates, who knows.
This is akin to the insert ads in Newspapers, most people throw them away with out looking, but the advertiser knows they are there and readers at the very least handles them....the beauty of Auto Hop is, the ads go away with a click.

The ads go away with 6 clicks with my DIRECTV dvr remote set to 30 second slip, they go away with a few pushes of the button on my DISH dvr remote, Auto Hop is just another ffwd that doesn't take effect till several hours after the programming is over which everyone seems to be ignoring.

I'm sure Charlie has Directv. How else can he see the Rockies, the Avalanche and his Volunteers in HD? ;)

He doesn't have to go anywhere to do it. The Av's are in HD and so are the Rockies...in fact the Rockies are playing the Reds right now in HD on channel 414 on Dish!

He doesn't have to go anywhere to do it. The Av's are in HD and so are the Rockies...in fact the Rockies are playing the Reds right now in HD on channel 414 on Dish!
But are they in HD all the time? I turned on Fox Sports Detroit last night and found the Tiger/Indians game in sd! WTF?

Well, we are just going to be in disagreement on the intent of the second claim. I think it's pretty clear.

As for time shifting, Fox makes it clear throughout the complaint that this is not about normal DVR usage (i.e. time shifting). Specifically they seek an injunction and damages only for Prime Time Anytime and Sling.

Everyone gets this, right? They aren't just trying to shut down autohop but all of Prime Time Anytime.

Because all the networks are not benefiting from PTAT.

Was reading the latest edition of Time Magazine which came in the mail today and in it hey had a GREAT article about AutoHop.

And I believe that it ended with the following quote. "If they outlaw commercial skipping then only outlaws will skip commercials." :D

Great article!

But are they in HD all the time? I turned on Fox Sports Detroit last night and found the Tiger/Indians game in sd! WTF?

Wrong area For me to post this but That's strange? I had the feed in HD last night?? I have been happy to see each game in HD, the only game not in HD was a rain out rescheduled game earlier this year

Back on Topic, it was nice to use auto hop for spider man 3 that was on ABC recently

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts