Fox Sues Dish Over Ad-Skipping Auto Hop

Wrong area to post this but That's strange? I had the feed in HD, have been happy to see each game in HD, the only game not in HD was a rain out reschedule earlier this year

Back on Topic, it was nice to use auto hop for spider man 3 that was on ABC recently
Maybe it was the night before. But it was in sd. I was shocked because I've never seen a major league game on the main FSD channel in sd before.

But are they in HD all the time? I turned on Fox Sports Detroit last night and found the Tiger/Indians game in sd! WTF?

he stated, "I'm sure Charlie has Directv. How else can he see the Rockies, the Avalanche and his Volunteers in HD?" implying that even the owner of the company can't watch the Rockies or the Av's in HD (I don't watch a Volunteers game in any sport so I can't speak to whether they show any of their stuff in HD) unless he gets DTV and in fact the Rockies game was on in HD at the time on Dish. Just pointing out that he isn't necessarily correct.

DustoMan said:
They link to this article from AdWeek which tries to put some numbers as to what effect AutoHop would have.... Not much.
Networks Sue Dish Net Over Auto Hop, But Service Unlikely to Have Big Impact on Broadcast | Adweek

$14 Billion is the ad revenue the networks bring in. The article estimates that $162 million of that would be at risk. And that assumes that Autohop users used to watch the commercials beforehand, otherwise the ads don't get viewed either way.

That AdWeek article is rather short-sighted.... They say
...in their assault on Dish Net, only “1 percent of advertising revenues is at risk, given the viewing patterns and low penetration of the [Auto Hop] technology.”
(snip)
From there, it’s all just a numbers game. “The reality is that Dish's 14.1 million subscribers only account for 12 percent of the broadcast homes,” Wible said. “Only 53 percent of Dish subs have DVRs which implies only 6 percent of homes are at risk.”
The networks aren't that stupid ! If this succeeds or is left alone, DirecTV and all the cablecos will at least consider adding this feature to their DVRs as well.

That AdWeek article is rather short-sighted.... They say The networks aren't that stupid ! If this succeeds or is left alone, DirecTV and all the cablecos will at least consider adding this feature to their DVRs as well.

If Dish wins it is a given that all DVR manufacturers will deploy some form of automatic commercial skip. It is the only option to remain competitive.

Last edited:
If Dish wins it is a given that all DVR manufacturers will deploy some form of automatic commercial skip. It is the only option to remain competitive.
I agree, if DISH wins in court, it's game on for all other providers. They will all offer something very similar.
I don't see Time Warner doing this though..... Besides the fact that they're DVR and software suck toyally, they're part of the same general group that is suing Dish.

I agree that the auto-skip feature doesnt delete and people fast forward anyways etc..etc.. but I do believe the PERCEPTION is a danger to what a lot of us would like more of and thats FREE quality TV that is paid for by ads (the free to air community). If the auto skip feature was just like fast forwarding for viewers then... why did they put it in the Hopper and why does everyone want it. The answer: because its not just like fast forwarding. Also its cool, its handy, its easier. If it wasnt, we wouldnt want it and it wouldnt be in the Hopper.

Again, Im somewhat scared of this move by Dish. I want more quality free ad paid TV not less. In the end this MAY even raise the bill for Dish viewers as NBC, CBS, ABC etc.. might also start charging Dish to re-broadcast their networks since they are PERCEIVED to take away their ad revenue with this new feature.

Someone has to pay for TV. Its either us the viewer paying from our pockets for pay networks like nat-geo etc.. or us as viewers paying for it by viewing ads. Im broke so I'd rather pay for it by dealing with ads and silently/quietly fast forwarding the show =).

joshrr said:
I agree that the auto-skip feature doesnt delete and people fast forward anyways etc..etc.. but I do believe the PERCEPTION is a danger to what a lot of us would like more of and thats FREE quality TV that is paid for by ads (the free to air community). If the auto skip feature was just like fast forwarding for viewers then... why did they put it in the Hopper and why does everyone want it. The answer: because its not just like fast forwarding. Also its cool, its handy, its easier. If it wasnt, we wouldnt want it and it wouldnt be in the Hopper.

Again, Im somewhat scared of this move by Dish. I want more quality free ad paid TV not less. In the end this MAY even raise the bill for Dish viewers as NBC, CBS, ABC etc.. might also start charging Dish to re-broadcast their networks since they are PERCEIVED to take away their ad revenue with this new feature.

Someone has to pay for TV. Its either us the viewer paying from our pockets for pay networks like nat-geo etc.. or us as viewers paying for it by viewing ads. Im broke so I'd rather pay for it by dealing with ads and silently/quietly fast forwarding the show =).

It's like fast forwarding only easier, one button push and forget about the remote. That's why it's desirable. Networks already charge Dish and other providers for the retransmission of their programming (with every indication that the big four believe they should command more than the cable channel alternatives), so your basic assumption there is incorrect. It's only free ad supported TV if you are watching OTA.

If skipping commercials is illegal, then we are all guilty and should be fined because we have gotten up and gone to the bathroom, or go get something to eat or have changed the channel when a commercial comes on.

The difference is this is a company(DISH) supported feature that can skip all commercials in PTAT, it's a little different than the way the viewer does it now,therefore the lawsuit for a jury to decide.

Last edited:
It's like fast forwarding only easier, one button push and forget about the remote. That's why it's desirable. Networks already charge Dish and other providers for the retransmission of their programming (with every indication that the big four believe they should command more than the cable channel alternatives), so your basic assumption there is incorrect. It's only free ad supported TV if you are watching OTA.

We are watching it OTA and that's how DISH get's their signal from the local channels too.If it wasn't we would all get the main network's feed.

The difference is this is a company(DISH) supported feature that can skip all commercials in PTAT, it's a little different than the way the viewer does it now,therefore the lawsuit for a jury to decide.

But the end result is that the commercials get skipped, so I don't see how there's any difference. In fact, I think any judge or jury that thinks otherwise should be considered mentally incompetent. There, I said it, so that's the last I'll be commenting on the subject, since we're not supposed to discuss politics or religion here. Skipping commercials is not illegal, therefore enabling someone to skip commercials is not illegal. To rule otherwise would be prejudicial to the networks, since there's no law forcing anyone else's employer to stay in business if their business model becomes untenable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts