From Dish - PSIP Information

cpdretired said:
Exactly the same thing happened yesterday when WTTW Chicago changed their PSIP info. I could not get past 3 of 5. I called E tech. support. They couldn't figure it out either. Tech ordered me a new 811 to be installed Sunday.

I left the 811 unplugged for about an hour. Well, I thought I would give it another try. The unit booted up and is working normal. I am staying off of WTTW for the time being. If the reciever works OK I am going to cancel the service call.

After a day of having my 811 unplugged my 811 was able to boot up. I just talked to a tech at Dish and he said the acquiring signal problem of only going up to 3 of 5 was a known issue for all 811 receivers last night. I let him know what was happening to Fox in Cleveland and the best he could offer was talk to some of the other techs about it.

I checked my old one this morning while on the phone with the engineer at WAGA.It frooze and rebooted.I hung up with him and hooked up the new one got it authorized and scanned the dig channels and called him back with the news that it no longer was freezing up.They had not done anything to the system in 4 days.This all transpired over 20 mins.So,WSB and WAGA fixed the PSIP issue at the same time this morning?I don't think so.Maybe it was my 811.

Petemc11 said:
I checked my old one this morning while on the phone with the engineer at WAGA.It frooze and rebooted.I hung up with him and hooked up the new one got it authorized and scanned the dig channels and called him back with the news that it no longer was freezing up.They had not done anything to the system in 4 days.This all transpired over 20 mins.So,WSB and WAGA fixed the PSIP issue at the same time this morning?I don't think so.Maybe it was my 811.

Do you still have your old box? Did you try removing your OTA channels and doing a rescan. It is hard to tell what exactly is happening there. Based on the fact that the 811 that you plug in works could mean a couple of possibilities in my mind.

1) conflict between what is saved in the previous 811 and the updated PSIP stream. If there is a conflict, resetting to factor defaults and doing a rescan might have fixed the issue.

2) Possible hardware difference between the 811s.

3) Different software versions? I would doubt it.

Like I said, given that this happen right when the PSIP stream changed points to it was PSIP change related. There is a difference between the 811s. The one you had in service saw the old stream the new one had not.

Without doing some tests further troubleshooting it is hard to say what the issues is. The point I was making is I doubt it is cased by 811 hardware differences. Most likely this issue was created by a change in the stream data.

The first step when something like this happens is to try removing all channels and doing a rescan. If that does not work. try setting the unit back to factory defaults and do a hard reset. There is another step, but not one for the faint of heart. If all those steps are done and the issue is still there, then it would point to possible hardware differences between the boxes. Not sure if you did any of these steps Pete. Did you?

Yes,I removed all the local dig channels.Even from the favs list.I unpluged it. I rescanned the locals.I reset to factory defaults.Nothing helped.Like I said in the first post,I sent the old 811 back.

I don't care what caused the problem,I'm just glad it's fixed and I can still have my Super Bowl party and watch The Pats win!

Petemc11 said:
I don't care what caused the problem,I'm just glad it's fixed and I can still have my Super Bowl party and watch The Pats win!

Well actually I am interested in what could cause this issue. Well it is left to be seen who wins on Sunday. I just hope that game is good.

Ron what happens when you set a box to the factory default? Do you have to call E for reauthorization? I removed all of my OTA digitals then rescaned. The flashing picture problem still persists with WTTW Chicago.

cpdretired said:
Ron what happens when you set a box to the factory default? Do you have to call E for reauthorization? I removed all of my OTA digitals then rescaned. The flashing picture problem still persists with WTTW Chicago.
No, defaults will not force you to resubscribe the box.

WeeJavaDude said:
From what you describe this would indicate that there is some hardware change between the 811s to handle PSIP differently. That I doubt.

The hardware could stay the same, but most likely it is a software change on one of the chips. I'm not sure of the design of the 811, but most complex boards that we build (I work for an electronics contract manufacturer) have many programmed IC's on them. Some can be flashed and changed without removing, others have to be removed from the board to be reprogrammed. Being one of the first 811's out, I'm sure some changes have been made. One of our customers (a large, well known company) has been making changes every few months to a product that started selling 6 years ago.

The Big Wood said:
The hardware could stay the same, but most likely it is a software change on one of the chips. I'm not sure of the design of the 811, but most complex boards that we build (I work for an electronics contract manufacturer) have many programmed IC's on them. Some can be flashed and changed without removing, others have to be removed from the board to be reprogrammed. Being one of the first 811's out, I'm sure some changes have been made. One of our customers (a large, well known company) has been making changes every few months to a product that started selling 6 years ago.

Well that is possible. However based on what PSIP is I would be suprised that it would be something on a chip. PSIP seems like a higher level protocal that software in the image would be handling. Yes my current project I am working on has a number of embedded programmable chips including and FPGA. I just don't see the PSIP processing logic being embedded in the chips.

Strange an 811 swap fixed the issue, but the important thing is the 811 is up and running for the SB. Seeing the SB in HD rocks!!

Same problem with 811

I also live in the Atlanta area and have used the OTA for WAGA and WSB for months. Since Monday I have not been able to view OTA. The screen will freeze and the 811 will reboot after about 3 minutes viewing. I have deleted and rescanned, soft booted, hard booted, reset to factory defaults numerous times and as of last night, it still does not work. I called support on Tuesday and they told me they had not seen this problem so they are sending a different 811. I hope this arrives today and works or I will be viewing the Superbowl in SD.

Cleveland problem solved

for the Cleveland posts.....

I just spoke with Fox 8 (WJW) engineering in Cleveland, OH (I had the same problem on both of my 811's). Station engineer said they were made aware of the problem this morning and it's now fixed.

I'm having lots of PSIP problems with WTTG-DT (RF36 in WashDC) with my Dish 6000. The channel will intially map correctly to 5-1, but soon "forgets" this, and can only be tuned via 36-1. In all cases, the receiver takes about 10 seconds to go from black screen to a picture. Ironically, their PSIP settings prior to Feb 1 were working fine with the 6000.

Anyone else in DC? What's the best way to report this problem to Dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)