Genie client (c31?) won't power back up

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I did, but it did not work. I don't know if it matters that the Genie remote was set up for RF, and I couldn't get the C31 set up for RF, so it's still IR.

Will the C31 have its own software update, or will it just get fed from the Genie?
Absent a tuner, it would either have to go through the HR34 or the Internet to get updates. It should be automatic if an update exists and is in the stream when it checks. Apparently not all updates are available all the time.

Absent a tuner, it would either have to go through the HR34 or the Internet to get updates. It should be automatic if an update exists and is in the stream when it checks. Apparently not all updates are available all the time.

Why would it need a tuner to receive an update?

The software update didn't change anything, if it even was an update. I think it was what I already had on it. And the update only worked on the Genie box itself, couldn't get it to work on the client.

This is getting really frustrating now. I did the hard reset Iceberg suggested, and now the box refuses to allow me to program my remote to control my TV. It says Sorry, your remote cannot be programmed, or something to that effect.

I'm about to lose it, only because this shouldn't be that difficult. I'm going to call their tech support, I know it's a waste of time, but I'd like it at least noted all the trouble I'm having. I'm going to ask if my installer can bring a new box over, or ask the support people if that's possible that it's the box.

I did. Turns out the Genie box was rebooting, so I wasn't getting a signal. Finally when the Genie came back online, my picture came back.

On with tech support right now.

Looks like I'm getting a new client box. In addition to having to reset to power on, half the time I get "Location is not authorized" message when it comes up. Case management is supposedly going to try and get me a new one as soon as possible.

I would think I just got a bad box with all the various weird problems this box has had. I can understand that. As long as the next box is good, I'll be happy.

I had the same issue with the C31 not powering up from the remote. Got the latest software (0x6F8) and the problem went away.. actually, a lot of problems went away :)
To check your software version on the C31, press and hold the select button for 12 seconds.
There is no way I know of to force a download on the C31. It gets its software from the HR34 (Genie).
The biggest issue I have now is an occasional Black screen when I turn it on, no channels show up. Reset the HR34 (Genie) to fix it. I think its a bug in the HR34 (Genie) software... engineering "hinted" that theres an issue with RVU on the latest software and that the next software update (Coming Soon!) will fix it.

Thanks, I did check my software and it appears to be old, but, as you said, I don't know how to force an update. I would love to update the software and see if the problem goes away, but I don't know how.

I had the same issue with the C31 not powering up from the remote. Got the latest software (0x6F8) and the problem went away.. actually, a lot of problems went away :)
To check your software version on the C31, press and hold the select button for 12 seconds.
There is no way I know of to force a download on the C31. It gets its software from the HR34 (Genie).
The biggest issue I have now is an occasional Black screen when I turn it on, no channels show up. Reset the HR34 (Genie) to fix it. I think its a bug in the HR34 (Genie) software... engineering "hinted" that theres an issue with RVU on the latest software and that the next software update (Coming Soon!) will fix it.

Well, my original installer just left after being here for almost 3 hours. New box, didn't fix the problem. Swapped HDMI cables, built new coax cables, nothing. Moved the power inserter to the Genie location, nothing. Was on the phone with an engineer who had him test voltage all over the TV and cables, nothing. Got up in the attic to check the run of cable from the dish to my bedroom, straight run, good cable (better than he said he uses as an installer, for what it's worth). Nothing worked.

He said he's going to arrange to have his boss come out with him (or an engineer, can't remember) and check everything out. If they can't get this box to work, for whatever reason, he suggested installing an H25, which I'd be fine with. I just want the silly thing to work.

Still haven't been able to get a software update on it, and he said the C31-700 won't let you force an update. I don't know either way, and I'm not sure he would swear to it in court. He seemed like a knowledgeable guy and he really worked his butt off trying to exhaust all possibilities.

Said he'd call me tomorrow. So we'll see what happens next...

Well, my original installer just left after being here for almost 3 hours. New box, didn't fix the problem. Swapped HDMI cables, built new coax cables, nothing. Moved the power inserter to the Genie location, nothing. Was on the phone with an engineer who had him test voltage all over the TV and cables, nothing. Got up in the attic to check the run of cable from the dish to my bedroom, straight run, good cable (better than he said he uses as an installer, for what it's worth). Nothing worked.

He said he's going to arrange to have his boss come out with him (or an engineer, can't remember) and check everything out. If they can't get this box to work, for whatever reason, he suggested installing an H25, which I'd be fine with. I just want the silly thing to work.

Still haven't been able to get a software update on it, and he said the C31-700 won't let you force an update. I don't know either way, and I'm not sure he would swear to it in court. He seemed like a knowledgeable guy and he really worked his butt off trying to exhaust all possibilities.

Said he'd call me tomorrow. So we'll see what happens next...

I have same exact issue, it started about 2 hrs after the installer left last Saturday. I have 3 C31s, they all acted the same exact way (the only way to power them on is to remove power or do the reset, I do have the latest firmware on C31s). On top of it my H34 stopped working in higher resolutions, it will only go as high as 480p. The tech was here tonight with new H34 but his shop forgot to put the work order in and he couldn't get it activated(coming back tomorrow). I've spent many hours on trying to figure out the "power on issue" and from what I have seen it is caused by netwrok connection between the H34 and the clients. In my case after reloading firmware on my H34 as instructed by a direct tv tech(that's when H34 developed the resolution issue, according to him known issue that should be fixed soon with the new update) the C31s would work for about 2 hrs and then they would loose the connection. Only way to get them going again I would have to do a reset on H34 and reboot\reset C31. Will see what tomorrow bring when I hope to get new H34. So far it hasn't been a smooth ride with the setup, I hope it gets resolved soon.

Just wondering how all of your systems are wired together? I was having weird problems when mine was installed for the first couple of hours but I fixed them by removing an extra SWM splitter that the installer put in. It may be a freak chance that it resolved my issues but since I moved my HR34, 3 C31's and the broadband connection kit to the same SWM splitter everything has been fine.

OK this is a long shot as I don't have a C31, but do they have a setting for power saving? The reason I ask is that the power saving is one of the first things I turn OFF when I get a new box. These receivers are all just computers with an embedded linux-like operating system. Power Save is just a "sleep" or "hibernate" mode like you'd see on a laptop. A *LOT* of systems have trouble recovering completely from these powered down states. And I mean a *LOT* of systems. When they power down, they spin down drives, shut down network cards, suspend processing, switch processor to a lower voltage, all kinds of stuff. And if they don't recover each powered down subsystem in a certain ORDER, then they often get stuck and don't recover at all.

Sounds like you've really gone through the cabling/power inserter tests and I'd have a hard time believing there are this many "bad boxes" out there. So this might at least be something to look at. At the very LEAST, turn off power saving on the HR34.

The cable into the house runs to a 4-way splitter, which feeds the cinema connection kit, the hr34 and (after he moved it last night) the power inserter. I'm not familiar with all the wiring requirements, the last time I did all this myself was ten years ago using multiswitches...but that's what's inside. There's a splitter on the outside of the house, too, I think.

Just wondering how all of your systems are wired together? I was having weird problems when mine was installed for the first couple of hours but I fixed them by removing an extra SWM splitter that the installer put in. It may be a freak chance that it resolved my issues but since I moved my HR34, 3 C31's and the broadband connection kit to the same SWM splitter everything has been fine.

The HR34 does have a power saving option, and I just turned it off. Rebooted the C31 (can't adjust power saving from the C31), still won't turn on using any of the power buttons on the remote or the box.

OK this is a long shot as I don't have a C31, but do they have a setting for power saving? The reason I ask is that the power saving is one of the first things I turn OFF when I get a new box. These receivers are all just computers with an embedded linux-like operating system. Power Save is just a "sleep" or "hibernate" mode like you'd see on a laptop. A *LOT* of systems have trouble recovering completely from these powered down states. And I mean a *LOT* of systems. When they power down, they spin down drives, shut down network cards, suspend processing, switch processor to a lower voltage, all kinds of stuff. And if they don't recover each powered down subsystem in a certain ORDER, then they often get stuck and don't recover at all.

Sounds like you've really gone through the cabling/power inserter tests and I'd have a hard time believing there are this many "bad boxes" out there. So this might at least be something to look at. At the very LEAST, turn off power saving on the HR34.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts