Getting 2 510 units from dish

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, I have been on a lease with Dish since 6/7/05. I have 2 811's and I'm not happy with the PQ on either. I also don't care about HD at this time. Dish is willing to swap out the 2 811's for 2 510's at no charge-installation is included. They also are putting on a $60 credit to defray the 1st year fee on the DVR. I have not had a DVR. Can some of you tell me how you like DVR's, and the 510 unit. Thanks.

THanks for the encouraging information! I get the units this Thursday. Can I record programs from output jacks on the 510's?

Try as she did, my wife never could grasp the procedure to record anything with a VCR. All it took was one lesson on how to use the DVR, and she picked it up instantly. She loves being able to quickly skip past the commercials.

I do like the 522 better. It allows much more flexibility to record something while you are watching something else, or to record 2 things at the same time. Plus, it only has a single charge for 2 tuners. :)

If that is an option, it might be worth your while.

Brad

2 Tuners

I was only offered the 510's from Dish. I have 2 receivers in 2 rooms. I can record in both rooms. I was just asking if it's easy to record off a DVR onto a DVD recorder, and is there any generation loss in the picture. Thanks.

Walker1 said:
Hi, I have been on a lease with Dish since 6/7/05. I have 2 811's and I'm not happy with the PQ on either. I also don't care about HD at this time. Dish is willing to swap out the 2 811's for 2 510's at no charge-installation is included. They also are putting on a $60 credit to defray the 1st year fee on the DVR. I have not had a DVR. Can some of you tell me how you like DVR's, and the 510 unit. Thanks.
You need them to credit you $120.00 there is a $4.98 DVOD fee per 510 on DISH's system not per account. For recording onto a DVD you have your choice of "S"video composite video(yellow RCA plug) or ch3/4 depending on your capabilities. Yes there will be some quality loss depending on what you use.

I was told the cost for the DVR's was $4.99/mo. Are you paying that per unit? I'm dumping the HD fee of $9.99/mo. I just don't see the point of paying that fee at this time. I don't really care about HD.

Walker1 said:
I was told the cost for the DVR's was $4.99/mo. Are you paying that per unit? I'm dumping the HD fee of $9.99/mo. I just don't see the point of paying that fee at this time. I don't really care about HD.
DISH is confusing with their fees. They charge $4.98 for DISH Video on Demand per DVR. If you are not leasing equipment they charge $4.99 to duplicate programming on each additional receiver. If you are leasing the equipment they replace the $4.99 fee with a $5.00 lease fee. So if you are leasing the 510s you should be paying the base programming fee plus a $5 additional receiver lease fee plus two $4.98 VOD fees or $14.96 per month in additional fes. :)

I already see the benefits of the DVRs. My DVD recorders and VCRs don't have to be run unless I like the programs I put on the hard drives of the DVRs. Saves mega wear & tear on my DVD recorders! It is well worth $10/mo. if I get charged that. One of my Sony DVD recorders is going out of warranty soon. I think Best Buy etc. wants at least $125.00 to even look at a DVD recorder when it breaks.

Walker1 said:
I already see the benefits of the DVRs. My DVD recorders and VCRs don't have to be run unless I like the programs I put on the hard drives of the DVRs. Saves mega wear & tear on my DVD recorders! It is well worth $10/mo. if I get charged that. One of my Sony DVD recorders is going out of warranty soon. I think Best Buy etc. wants at least $125.00 to even look at a DVD recorder when it breaks.

Best option its to get 508 , then replace the 80gb HD with a 120 GB HD ( which it eill become a 510 but without the $5 a month fee since the 508 doesn't have a DVR fee ) if 60 hrs is not enuff with the 508 HD but the Best choice would be a 721 , its Dual tunner , No PVR Fee and has the Best and Fastest EPG out there! lol Dish and there DVR fees , if they ever start charging for theses Model DVR's I'm thru with them!

Walker1 said:
One of my Sony DVD recorders is going out of warranty soon. I think Best Buy etc. wants at least $125.00 to even look at a DVD recorder when it breaks.
I thought I saw a Cyberhome (+RW) at BBY for $100 on sale. Lite-On recorders start about $130 (+RW or try for +-RW), try Sams or Costco. I know they are not Sony but this would seem to make it cheaper to replace than repair, sigh. I know my first, a $210 Classic died and I bought a $140 Lite-On and on down we go.
-Ken

The Sony DVD recorders record in most formats and are good work horses. I wanted to keep all my DVD units the same- My DVD burner, the 2 recorders, and my play DVD deck are all Sony.

Update: I am very happy with the 510's. My recording devices only work now when I keep something from the DVR. I talked to the Dish rep and she gave me the $120.00 credit cheerfully. What a contrast from the 2 moron female 3rd world reps I got stuck with the 1st time I had to call Dish. Now I call this same person direct and get positive results in English!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)