Hard Drive Bargain Watch

I already have an USB hard drive enclosure, if I were to buy an internal hard drive (500 GB) Do you think an ATA100 or ATA133 drive will do? The connection to the receiver is USB 2.0 anyways so I don't think it matters, does it?

Well, with a number of solid choices for 1TB drives from New Egg (Fantom, Western Digital and Maxtor, etc.), many w/ triple-interface (USB 2.0/Firewire 400/Firewire 800)...for $350, I'm hoping that the 'terabyte' issue is resolve by the time the feature is released.
I really think that a 1TB drive would be a mistake.
If you look at other threads, you'll see that a 500gb drive will hold at least 150 hours of HD.
So, if you buy two 500gb drives, and one goes bad (happens all the time), you lose 150 hours.
But, if you buy one 1TB drive, you lose the whole 300 hours of HD at once.
Plus, a 1TB drive costs significantly more than twice what two 500gb drives cost - so I see no advantage whatsoever to a 1TB drive.
... Other than perhaps "my drive is bigger than your drive, na na na"...

If you look at other threads, you'll see that a 500gb drive will hold at least 150 hours of HD.
So, if you buy two 500gb drives, and one goes bad (happens all the time), you lose 150 hours.
But, if you buy one 1TB drive, you lose the whole 300 hours of HD at once.
Plus, a 1TB drive costs significantly more than twice what two 500gb drives cost - so I see no advantage whatsoever to a 1TB drive.
... Other than perhaps "my drive is bigger than your drive, na na na"...

I agree - I'm buying 250GB AV drives. Since everyone is going gaga over the BIG drives, 250's are easy to find and more affordable. If I can use them to archive, I'll keep different shows on different drives. Let's see what E* let's us do with them before spending a penny.

...Do you think an ATA100 or ATA133 drive will do? The connection to the receiver is USB 2.0 anyways so I don't think it matters, does it?

The drive will limit the transfer speed, not the USB 2.0 connection, in this case. I submit it might limit it too much. Mind you, I haven't done the math, I'm just going by a gut feeling from experience. I'd stick with SATA.

If you look at other threads, you'll see that a 500gb drive will hold at least 150 hours of HD. ....Plus, a 1TB drive costs significantly more than twice what two 500gb drives cost - so I see no advantage whatsoever to a 1TB drive....

Good points. I think I'll stick with 250-500, looking for the sweet spot.

.... Let's see what E* let's us do with them before spending a penny.

My thoughts exactly. Drives are only getting cheaper. Come August (or whenever) and they announce the actual "rules" I'll probably still be able to get the hardware before they actually set up the system to activate it.

If you will re-read white papers regarding AV disks you'll rediscover ATA-100 or ATA-133 5400/7200 RPM disks have adequate speed for 4-5 sat streams. Remember 19 Mbps is max stream bandwidth for one HD channel, ie less then 3MBps - now compare with 100/133 MBps ( sure sustain speed will be less, but still have plenty room if it goes to 50 MBps ).

What about this, seems middle of the road and cheap. Anybody used them ? Open box but also only $68
Newegg.com - Open Box: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Also features
IntelliSeek - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise and vibration.
SecurePark - Parks the recording heads off the disk surface during spin up, spin down and when the drive is off. This ensures the recording head never touches the disk surface resulting in improved long term reliability due to less head wear, and improved non- operational shock tolerance.

If you will re-read white papers regarding AV disks you'll rediscover ATA-100 or ATA-133 5400/7200 RPM disks have adequate speed for 4-5 sat streams. Remember 19 Mbps is max stream bandwidth for one HD channel, ie less then 3MBps - now compare with 100/133 MBps ( sure sustain speed will be less, but still have plenty room if it goes to 50 MBps ).

OK, I stand corrected.

I have not ordered from them for awhile, are they pretty good about getting out same/next day. Newegg does have a $2.99 rush fee I never pay and sometimes my product does not go out the next day which kinda irks me.

I've only had one order placed before 3:00pm not ship the same day.

Cheers,

I just bought the Seagate 750GB internal drive from PCBAY. Their site could use a little work, but it was the cheapest price I could find anywhere on the web and the drive arrived in no time. It was a good purchase and it did beat TheNerds.net price.

I just bought the Seagate 750GB internal drive from PCBAY. Their site could use a little work, but it was the cheapest price I could find anywhere on the web and the drive arrived in no time. It was a good purchase and it did beat TheNerds.net price.
That's a great price, but the DB35 series is designed for DVR use, PCBAY does not carry them.

So where do you recommend buying a "DB35?"

Post #54 above. Only place I've found. The Db35 drive numbers end with ACE/SCE. Personally, I'm thinking about getting two 320s for $171 total so I won't have all my stuff on one drive if it fails.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts