Hard Drive Bargain Watch

Using a "stand" rather than an enclosure is appropriate if the disks that you buy are not hot running, they don't exceed 2TB, and you want to just buy raw drives, which are usually $10 or more cheaper, and if you are buying more than one. You avoid buying more boxes and just get minimal protection and size.

I call it a stand because the drive is upright in the base, connector down--2.5" and 3.5" SATA use the same connector. All drives, I know of, will run in any orientation but all do not like to be dropped or even shaken. When you get more than one be sure to label each one. You can shut off the power at the stand and should while changing them, perhaps. Just be sure the receiver has finished with it or if used on a computer that it has been ejected and any directories updated.

The good thing about the file system Dish uses is that it cares little about improper ejection but it is possible to mess up the internal references, if you try. The bad thing is that there are no common utilities for this FS, like for moving files or "garbage collecting."

As to use on a 211, I think this will do as well as any. An enclosure with fan might do better in a hot room or with neighboring electronics. I cannot tell you the best drive for heavy usage of delaying play and continual recording and playing. Hitachi makes good drives, there was a 2.5" in my MacBook as is the large replacement, but others make good ones also.

-Ken

Ken, thanks for the very informative answer. I expect that once a drive is installed on my 211k, that it will be either on or recording for a good part of the day, so I'll go ahead and get something like the Western Digital 1TB Elements USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive, WDBAAU0010HBK-NESN.

Thanks

This may seem like a stupid question, but does anyone feel that it's better to get a few 500GB HDD rather than a single 1 or 2 TB HDD, for safety reasons? I mean if you have 1 or 2 TB of recorded video and your HDD dies, that's a lot of precious video gone as opposed to a 500GB HDD biting the dust.

Ghpr13:)

Nobody beats the deals at Frys for HDD

2450295_7520246.jpg

This may seem like a stupid question, but does anyone feel that it's better to get a few 500GB HDD rather than a single 1 or 2 TB HDD, for safety reasons? I mean if you have 1 or 2 TB of recorded video and your HDD dies, that's a lot of precious video gone as opposed to a 500GB HDD biting the dust.

It's not a stupid question, quite the contrary; hard drives do fail (I've lost one or two), and supposedly the failure rates on large drives are higher than the failure rates on smaller ones.

The ideal solution would be to build a RAID array, consisting of, for example, 2 or 4 1 or 2 TB drives, in matched pairs, one half of each pair acting as a mirror to the other. Then you would have the advantage of larger storage sizes, and you would never lose anything (the small ones fail too). Unfortunately I don't know if the DVR's support that kind of configuration (I've only seen it on PC"s).

If that didn't work, another solution would be to do a periodic backup onto another usb drive by hand using your computer and a Linux boot disc such as Ubuntu. This is time-consuming, but safe. There are posts in the Tech Forum on how to do this, but you will to search a little to find them.

It's not a stupid question, quite the contrary; hard drives do fail (I've lost one or two), and supposedly the failure rates on large drives are higher than the failure rates on smaller ones.

The ideal solution would be to build a RAID array, consisting of, for example, 2 or 4 1 or 2 TB drives, in matched pairs, one half of each pair acting as a mirror to the other. Then you would have the advantage of larger storage sizes, and you would never lose anything (the small ones fail too). Unfortunately I don't know if the DVR's support that kind of configuration (I've only seen it on PC"s).

If that didn't work, another solution would be to do a periodic backup onto another usb drive by hand using your computer and a Linux boot disc such as Ubuntu. This is time-consuming, but safe. There are posts in the Tech Forum on how to do this, but you will to search a little to find them.

multnomah,
Thanks for your reply. I'm familiar with RAID and that would be a wiser way of doing things if the VIP had the support.

Just watch Bensbargains.net. On the right side you can sort results by internal and external. You can click the history tab on any deal and see what it's sold for in the past.

Just a quick question. Does the VIP see the external as adding to the pool of space? Or is it an archive thing where you have to move shows to it to clear space on the internal drive, but then you can playback from the external?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)