Hard Drive Bargain Watch

Well, that enormous fan on the Rosewill would be great on the 7200rpm heaters like Seagate's. But really it (and it's expense, and it's noise) is unnecessary for WD green drives. I'd go with a much cheaper enclosure and forgo the noisy fan.

Thank you

Well, that enormous fan on the Rosewill would be great on the 7200rpm heaters like Seagate's. But really it (and it's expense, and it's noise) is unnecessary for WD green drives. I'd go with a much cheaper enclosure and forgo the noisy fan.

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, the enclosure has already been ordered. I will pick one of these AV or AV-GP drives and post back once I enable EHD. From what I hear, the enclosure's fan is loud and the LCD is too bright too. Thankfully, I should be able to point it towards the wall and avoid the light. Noise, I don't know yet.

EHD enabled on my 211K, 98hrs HD, 329hrs SD

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, the enclosure has already been ordered. I will pick one of these AV or AV-GP drives and post back once I enable EHD. From what I hear, the enclosure's fan is loud and the LCD is too bright too. Thankfully, I should be able to point it towards the wall and avoid the light. Noise, I don't know yet.

Wohoo! Thanks to this thread, I went ahead and purchased the WD AV-GP (WD10EVDS) 1 TB hard-drive. installed it on the Rosewill USB 2.0/eSATA enclosure RX-358-S and plugged it in and voila, my 211k recognized the new hard-drive and the screen displayed a # to call. Within 2 minutes after calling the # to activate the DVR feature, message changed to the 'Shall I format?'. After clicking Ok and waiting for another 2-3 minutes, my receiver rebooted and I clicked on the DVR button on my 211k remote and voila! I see approx 98hrs free HD-DVR space, which is approx 329 SD-DVR space.

Thanks everyone! After an hour of my EHD running/recording 2 events (1 OTA and 1 SAT feed), the enclosure was pretty cool to the touch. And, to my pleasant surprise, the enclosure's fan was silent, unless I went very near to the enclosure.

I just ordered a WD 1.5 TB USB EHD, I currently have a WD 1TB connected to my VIP211. How do I switch EHD's without losing content......sorry for the noob question.

Last edited:
Can we please keep this thread for Bargain Pricing on EHD's??

There are plenty of other EHD threads for questions about usage, which drive to buy, etc., in the Technical Forum as well as in this forum.

Thank you!

I just ordered a WD 1.5 TB USB EHD, I currently have a WD 1TB connected to my VIP211. How do I switch EHD's without losing content......sorry for the noob question.
You can have as many EHDs as you want. No need to have just 1. I have 4. Or is it 5?

Just have only one attached at a time. But if you insist, you can move material back to the DVR, and then from the DVR to the new EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)