Hard Drive Bargain Watch

The introduction of the 1TB spindles (ie a single disk with 1TB capacity) is exerting downard pressure on the other drives.

Hopefully that disk is configurable to present 2x750GBs otherwise it might not work.

Cheers,

I just ordered my external drive from NewEgg for $238.33 with shipping.

Seagate FreeAgent Pro ST307504FPA1E3-RK 750GB 7200 RPM External Hard Drive - Retail
Item #: N82E16822148255

I was concerned about the size of the cache on this drive since it wasn't listed on the NewEgg site, or Amazon, or even on Seagate's page about this drive in particular! I was able to finally find this decoder for the product code information:

ST307504FPA1E3

ST = Seagate drive
3 = 3.5" drive
0750= 750 gigs capacity
4 = 16 mb cache (1=2mb, 3=8mb)
FP = FreeAgent Pro
A1 = reserved
E3 = USB
RK = Retail Kit

Here is what I ordered:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7200 RPM SATA $109.99
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

and:
AMS Venus 3.5" USB 2.0 Black External Enclosure $37.99
Newegg.com - AMS VENUS DS-2316B2BK Aluminum 3.5" USB 2.0 Black External Enclosure - Retail

About $20 more than a bundled external drive, but I hope the quality is better. Arrives on Monday just in time for the 15th. Getting low on HD. I have the entire Season of 24 and the Sopranos in HD waiting to transfer.

Looks:

It's on a non-detachable stand (that's where the USB and power plug in). Looks pretty stealthy except for the yellow light bar running on the vertical front edge (but I have it hidden behind the TV so that wont' be an issue for me).

Sound:

What sound? Had to touch it to know that it was actually working!
I just got mine today (shipping snafu earlier) and can attest to its absolute quietness! The yellow strip on the front edge stays on when the unit is powered up. When you're accessing it, the light pulses dim to bright - not flashing - and the pulsing actually takes about a full second, so it's like turning a dimmer up and down. the power unit is a "wall wart", but it is oriented to the side so it doesn't cover the other outlet on a wall jack - that could cause an issue on some power strips. See Newegg picture.
I just ordered my external drive from NewEgg for $238.33 with shipping.

Seagate FreeAgent Pro ST307504FPA1E3-RK 750GB 7200 RPM External Hard Drive - Retail
Item #: N82E16822148255

I was concerned about the size of the cache on this drive since it wasn't listed on the NewEgg site, or Amazon, or even on Seagate's page about this drive in particular! I was able to finally find this decoder for the product code information:

ST307504FPA1E3

ST = Seagate drive
3 = 3.5" drive
0750= 750 gigs capacity
4 = 16 mb cache (1=2mb, 3=8mb)
FP = FreeAgent Pro
A1 = reserved
E3 = USB
RK = Retail Kit

The 500GB from Amazon was a ST305004FDA1E1-RK:
ST = Seagate
3 = 3.5"
0500= 500GB
4 = 16MB cache
FD = FreeAgent Desktop
A1 = reserved
E1 = USB 2.0
RK = Retail Kit

Also, per Seagate's web site, the drive is 7200RPM...

"Yes, but I screwed up and ordered and IDE internal interface enclosure! "

OOPS!!!!!! Happens to the best of us.

(Smith, he means the drive itself is SATA, but the enclosure's internal connection requires an IDE drive, so there's no way to use that drive in that enclosure)

I just picked up the Western Digital 500GB/16meg cache Essentials Edition at Circuit City today for $129.99.

I will probably just keep the IDE case and pick up and IDE drive later for my other 622 rather than pay the shipping and restocking fee.

This brings up a question. SATA is faster that IDE, but does it really make any difference in this application? If you are hooking the drive through USB 2.0 into the 622 would the internal bus speed between the drive and the enclosure make any difference?

I could have picked up the IDE version of the 500 GB WD drive for $105 vs $123 for the SATA.

I will probably just keep the IDE case and pick up and IDE drive later for my other 622 rather than pay the shipping and restocking fee.

This brings up a question. SATA is faster that IDE, but does it really make any difference in this application? If you are hooking the drive through USB 2.0 into the 622 would the internal bus speed between the drive and the enclosure make any difference?

Nope.

I could have picked up the IDE version of the 500 GB WD drive for $105 vs $123 for the SATA.

Live and learn :D

Cheers,

Good News for Last Minute Shoppers

Newegg.com promo, $20.00 off $100+ order purchased via PayPal. Use Promo Code...Paypal20. Expires end of day, today!!!!

I'd say it's a good drive and price IF you don't mind a plastic case which is not good for heat dissipation. Just don't leave it on for longer than you are using it. Also, you will never be able to remove from the case unless you break it. I'm a little on the picky side about versatility, but it probably will serve you just fine.

I'd say it's a good drive and price IF you don't mind a plastic case which is not good for heat dissipation. Just don't leave it on for longer than you are using it. Also, you will never be able to remove from the case unless you break it. I'm a little on the picky side about versatility, but it probably will serve you just fine.

KAB, I disagree on this. What matters is where the drive is placed. If the drive is stuck in an armoire or enclosed media cabinet in an unairconditioned house/apartment then metal/plastic doesn't matter. It will likely burn up anyway. If the drive is left with plenty of space for heat to dissipate in an air-conditioned house, then it truly doesn't matter. It will be fine until the heads or the drive mechanism fails.

Back to this thread... Personally, I think that WD deal (750GB for $229) is decent. It's not horrible, and it's not great. ($179 is great!)

Fry's has an Acom Data 500GB external HD with USB and Firewire connections for $120. It's $10 more than the Buffalo they had on sale last week, but the Buffalo didn't have Firewire. Moreover, they have a Maxtor 750GB USB/Firewire for $229.99. (decent)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts