Has the DTVPal DVR started shipping yet? (Yes)

I hope somebody is there to safeguard it for you.

What'd you say your address was, again? :p ;)

I have one question and one comment, question first:

Does anyone have an idea of when the price will go up on the DTVPal DVR? I notice it is "regularly" $299 but if I preorder now the cost is only $249. I plan to get one but don't really need it now. I will however order early if I can save $50.

No for the comment. This is just what I was looking for. I have a Vip622 now and this is almost the exact same box with no Dish Network programming. Most of what I DVR is on network TV. I was looking for a way to trim back on my budget for next year and I think I've found it. I can cancel Dish, pay the early termination fee, buy this new box and still save a couple hundred dollars during 2009. This is just what the doctor ordered.

Just logged into dishnetwork.com account, checked orders and it says shipped w a UPS tracking # which is UPS 2 day air, delivery date 12/23. And it ships from Commerce City, Colorado. I am on Long Island (east coast). I'll let y'all know how it works Tuesday night

Well my package left Colorado 12/19, arrived in Louisville Ky 12/20, left Ky same day, arrived in Newark, NJ, left Newark on 12/21 (y not Kennedy?) for 12/23 delivery and I just check and it's rescheduled to 12/24. Oh, well. Must be the weather. Maybe some idiot on the NJ Turnpike started another car fire

OK, it has a card that slips into the lower front. And coax in/out, HDMI, RJ-45, USB, component, composite, and RCA & fiber audio.

And ONE screw. Removal accomplishes little. A couple of tabs, and 3 small screws that appear to hold items to the rear of the case. I'll fiddle with it, but I may need some help figuring out how to open it without damage. Just as well- need to recharge camera battery.

Whole thing was shrink wrapped. Came with a coax cable and a Yellow/Red/White composite-audio cable. And manual. And remote w/batteries.

Attachments

• DTVPAL DVR box.JPG
    DTVPAL DVR box.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 212
  • DTVPAL DVR shrink wrap.JPG
    DTVPAL DVR shrink wrap.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 221
  • DTVPAL DVR rear.JPG
    DTVPAL DVR rear.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 260
  • DTVPAL DVR card frt.JPG
    DTVPAL DVR card frt.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 640
  • DTVPAL DVR card rear.JPG
    DTVPAL DVR card rear.JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 564
Well, I removed the obvious case screw, and the small one above the RJ-45, and pried up the case over the two tabs in the back. Still seems to be held down up front somehow.

Odd- no case removal instructions in the manual. :rolleyes: But there is something about voiding the warranty if you open the case.... :eek:

I'll have to fiddle some more, but I think I'll hook it up and see if it works first.

OK, one more quickie post. Gee, am I the only one posting now? ;)

Hooked up via HDMI to a 52" Samsung A650 LCD. Setup was quick and easy. Even has an "aim antenna" option, which I might use later. Picked up 15 stations, IIRC. I certainly didn't notice any missing, but I am in a high signal strength area. I have a remote site where this particular unit is intended- maybe I'll report it's behavior there (poor reception there).

PQ seemed excellent. Guide downloaded in seconds. Changed guide text from medium to small. Still plenty big on this TV. Signal strength is shown with channel changes, etc, which I very much like.

I looked at the menu, particularly at the TVGOS bit. We don't have this available in this area. Yet. Anyway, yes, you'll lose timers, etc, if you change to TVGOS, but I assume you can just set TVGOS timers. Haven't tried setting any timers yet, manual or otherwise.

FF & REW seem to work, although at first blush they do not seem as smooth as on the ViP DVRs. And anyone familiar with Dish DVRs will know instantly how everything works, how the guide works, etc. Menu selections are a bit different, of course, but follow the set pattern.

Tempted to go back to opening the case.

You should remember internal card in TR-40 and my prediction - it will be in the DVR.
You got it. Interesting it's external - more ppl will ask WTF is it ? Opposite hidden 'Trojan Horse' in DTV Pal.

Well, I removed the obvious case screw, and the small one above the RJ-45, and pried up the case over the two tabs in the back. Still seems to be held down up front somehow.

Odd- no case removal instructions in the manual. :rolleyes: But there is something about voiding the warranty if you open the case.... :eek:

I'll have to fiddle some more, but I think I'll hook it up and see if it works first.

Check a bottom - sometimes under a label you could find another screw.

OK, it has a card that slips into the lower front. And coax in/out, HDMI, RJ-45, USB, component, composite, and RCA & fiber audio.

And ONE screw. Removal accomplishes little. A couple of tabs, and 3 small screws that appear to hold items to the rear of the case. I'll fiddle with it, but I may need some help figuring out how to open it without damage. Just as well- need to recharge camera battery.

Whole thing was shrink wrapped. Came with a coax cable and a Yellow/Red/White composite-audio cable. And manual. And remote w/batteries.

If you insert the card into 622 or other Dish receiver, then after reboot and error message, remove it - you'll see System Info screen with the card info, Sxx..., DNASP, etc.

Really makes me wonder what it needs a damn smart card for in an OTA unit...:confused: This smells fishy...

And it doesn't smell like red herring....

Will check under labels and rubber feet. There are some slots, but I don't see pry tabs. Gotta wait until tomorrow, now.

You should remember internal card in TR-40 and my prediction - it will be in the DVR.
You got it. Interesting it's external - more ppl will ask WTF is it ? Opposite hidden 'Trojan Horse' in DTV Pal.
There are hints of what its for if you look hard enough. In fact I got an app on my iPhone which lists the channel lineup for the Echostar Terestrial Digital Setup Box service in its guides.

I am guessing we will hear more about this at CES.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)