Status
Please reply by conversation.

guapoharry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
32ºN 111ºW
Please avoid political statements in accordance with SatelliteGuys Rules

One of my receivers lingered on Russia Today on 97ºW and I noticed The Alyona Show. This talk/commentary program was hosted by an attractive woman Alyona Minkovski who sounded like an american.

This show was on at 19:00 MST (GMT-7)

(add two hours for Eastern time
add one hour for Central time
Subtract one hour for Pacific time) etc...

What was notable to me about this program is how it, (ostensibly from Washington DC) looked like a domestic United States commentary program. While discussing current USA current events, the presenter repeatedly referred to "us" and "we" in the context of being an american.

However, this programming is produced by a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_Today"][U]news agency[/ owned by the government of Russia.

What was notable to me about this program is how it, (ostensibly from Washington DC) looked like a domestic United States commentary program. While discussing current USA current events, the presenter repeatedly referred to "us" and "we" in the context of being an american.

However, this programming is produced by a news agency owned by the government of Russia.

Hmmm, interesting implications. I had thought they only had a Moscow studio.

That show's a new one to me. I used to watch Russia Today fairly regularly but I haven't tuned in lately. I've always been fascinated with seeing things from different perspectives. Your post reminded me of something I'd noticed about RT before...they have a very large reporting staff. :eek:

I can honestly say I havent seen it. I do watch some of RT for the news part but at night the FTA system is usually used for sports :)

I have caught bits and pieces of it. I find it interesting how we are seen from other countries perpspectives. Having lived near the Canadian border all my life I've seen a lot of their news, too.

I have caught bits and pieces of it. I find it interesting how we are seen from other countries perpspectives. Having lived near the Canadian border all my life I've seen a lot of their news, too.

At least most Canadian news is just that... news, where they report the facts. American News is now just entertainment that seems to have an adgenda.

This is why I like Euronews. :)

Many of RT reporters are indeed Americans - children of Russian immigrants, working in the channel's Washington Bureau. RT is entirely budgeted by RU Government. They also employ Brits and some French staff in Moscow Bureau, and mother tongue speakers from some other countries. But the overall line of commentary and daily talking points are closely controlled by senior editorial staff and Government propaganda department very same way like the line of CNN commentary and talking points are controlled at all times via a chain of their editorial command that surprisingly goes straight to...Washington, where... Alyona works for RT in its local bureau. :) It looks like a closed circuit TV to the public. And CNN budget goes along the same lines as RT's, only the ways to deliver that "money train" vary a bit based on locally accepted practices and legislation.

Last edited:
No Euronews on ku, eh? I really need to get a dish mover for my BUD.

Half an hour of euronews is on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHz_Worldview"][U]MHZWorldview[/, 97º W Ku see the schedule. France24 and SouthAfrican SABC news is there as well.

Many of RT reporters are indeed Americans - children of Russian immigrants, working in the channel's Washington Bureau. RT is entirely budgeted by RU Government. They also employ Brits and some French staff in Moscow Bureau, and mother tonque speakers from some other countries. But the line of commentary is closely controlled by editorial staff and Government propaganda department very same way like the line of CNN commentary is controlled at all times via a chain of their editorial command that surprisingly goes straight to...Washington, where... Alyona works for RT in its local bureau. :) It looks like a closed circuit TV to the public. And CNN budget goes along the same lines as RT's, only the ways to deliver that "money train" vary a bit based on locally accepted practices.

Sounds like you are implying CNN is controlled by the US government. Whether you agree with CNN's coverage or not, there is quite a leap to make that conclusion. I know that some Europeans object to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_International"][U]CNN International[/ regarding a US centric bias claim.

Regarding RT, there is no question. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIA_Novosti"][U]RIA Novosti[/, parent of RT and Pravda.ru is owned by the Russian government. Sort of like Voice of America is to the USA.

She's on right now if anyone's interested. 9:35AM EST.

Here's a schedule of Alyona Show programming...

Here's an old saying: "Those who pay the money - order the music". The ways to "pay the money" vary... Its a lot more complicated and sophisticated world out there than most people can ever imaging. :rolleyes: Do you know any solid US News Outlet out there, which is not "affiliated" or "associated" with some power forces, demanding one way or another to continuously push their own agenda to the masses? Cheers, if you do.

Us citizens forbiden by US law to listen or watch VOA? , I do not get it. VOA is a service funded by tax payers so how come? Is like US citizens were forbiden to watch TV Marti? I used to listen to the MLB games results every morning, back in Cuba, from VOA.

Us citizens forbiden by US law to listen or watch VOA? , I do not get it. VOA is a service funded by tax payers so how come? Is like US citizens were forbiden to watch TV Marti? I used to listen to the MLB games results every morning, back in Cuba, from VOA.

I had it backwards, I think :rolleyes: :

from Wikipedia,

"Under United States law (Section 501 of the Smith-Mundt Act of 1948), the Voice of America is forbidden to broadcast directly to American citizens. The intent of the legislation is to protect the American public from propaganda actions by its own government.[30]

= = = =

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATLOOK spectrum analisers

DG-380 Motor Scale Setting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts