HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger

Or just have no ads and charge a flat rate for everything.
Nah, there's too low of a subscriber ceiling for ad-free subscription video. Lots of households will spend less money in exchange for having to watch a reasonable amount of ads. That's why Netflix, who built their brand on ad-free on-demand streaming, eventually reversed course and began offering a cheaper ad-supported plan. And now Prime Video has followed suit. Broadcast and basic cable were built on ad revenue and whatever is going to replace them will have to be built on it too.

For HBO, which is a premium product aimed at more upscale tastes and has always had a higher price per hour of content offered, it makes sense to always be ad-free. (It's odd and, I think harmful to the brand, that Max is now putting ads in HBO Originals on their $9.99/mo ad-supported tier.)

For HBO, which is a premium product aimed at more upscale tastes and has always had a higher price per hour of content offered, it makes sense to always be ad-free. (It's odd and, I think harmful to the brand, that Max is now putting ads in HBO Originals on their $9.99/mo ad-supported tier.)
It used to be, but since cutting the budget for HBO type shows, it is a tad less then Paramount+ as far as good shows go.

Apple TV+ has more HBO type quality shows.

Nah, there's too low of a subscriber ceiling for ad-free subscription video. Lots of households will spend less money in exchange for having to watch a reasonable amount of ads. That's why Netflix, who built their brand on ad-free on-demand streaming, eventually reversed course and began offering a cheaper ad-supported plan. And now Prime Video has followed suit. Broadcast and basic cable were built on ad revenue and whatever is going to replace them will have to be built on it too.

I disagree. People expect ads with free content on the internet. The reason Nexflix and Prime where successful are because they promised an ad free experience. More ads on TV drove people to binge shows without ads.

I disagree. People expect ads with free content on the internet. The reason Nexflix and Prime where successful are because they promised an ad free experience. More ads on TV drove people to binge shows without ads.
I always have said, the day when a Netflix type service is only available with ads, is when I drop it, my time is too important, I have no issues paying more for no ads, which I already do.

It used to be, but since cutting the budget for HBO type shows, it is a tad less then Paramount+ as far as good shows go.

Apple TV+ has more HBO type quality shows.
LOL. Please. Compare the average Metacritic score for Paramount+ and Showtime series from the past year or two to the average for HBO.

Or just look at the 2023 Emmy nominations and wins. HBO, including Max, had 127 noms while Paramount+ and Showtime combined for only 15 noms. HBO won the most Emmys across all outlets at 31 at the ceremony held in January. They also had the most-awarded series, Succession. Netflix was second with 22 wins. Paramount+ and Showtime combined for a whopping single Emmy (Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation for "More Than I Want to Remember").

As for this claim you keep making that HBO isn't putting out as much content lately because Warner is cutting costs there, I don't see it. Output may have dipped a bit in late '23, as it did across the TV dial due to the multi-month strikes last year. But HBO still put out a lot of scripted and unscripted shows last year, a lot of which I really enjoyed. Here's their 2023 list:

• The Last of Us (S1)
  • Succession (S4)
  • C.B. Strike (S3)
  • Perry Mason (S2)
  • Winning Time (S2)
  • Rain Dogs
  • The Gilded Age (S2)
  • The Idol
  • White House Plumbers
  • Barry (S4)
  • A Black Lady Sketch Show (S4)
  • The Righteous Gemstones (S3)
  • Somebody Somewhere (S2)
  • 100 Foot Wave (S2)
  • Hard Knocks
  • Real Time with Bill Maher
  • Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
  • How To with John Wilson
  • Painting with John
  • Angel City
  • Burden of Proof
  • Last Call: When a Serial Killer Stalked Queer New York
  • The Golden Boy
  • Telemarketers
  • Savior Complex
  • Navajo Police: Class 57
  • Love Has Won: the Cult of Mother God
  • Murder in Boston: Roots, Rampage, and Reckoning

I always have said, the day when a Netflix type service is only available with ads, is when I drop it, my time is too important, I have no issues paying more for no ads, which I already do.
I pay for YouTube Premium to get rid of the ads.

LOL. Please. Compare the average Metacritic score for Paramount+ and Showtime series from the past year or two to the average for HBO.

Or just look at the 2023 Emmy nominations and wins. HBO, including Max, had 127 noms while Paramount+ and Showtime combined for only 15 noms. HBO won the most Emmys across all outlets at 31 at the ceremony held in January. They also had the most-awarded series, Succession. Netflix was second with 22 wins. Paramount+ and Showtime combined for a whopping single Emmy (Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation for "More Than I Want to Remember").

As for this claim you keep making that HBO isn't putting out as much content lately because Warner is cutting costs there, I don't see it. Output may have dipped a bit in late '23, as it did across the TV dial due to the multi-month strikes last year. But HBO still put out a lot of scripted and unscripted shows last year, a lot of which I really enjoyed. Here's their 2023 list:

• The Last of Us (S1)
  • Succession (S4)
  • C.B. Strike (S3)
  • Perry Mason (S2)
  • Winning Time (S2)
  • Rain Dogs
  • The Gilded Age (S2)
  • The Idol
  • White House Plumbers
  • Barry (S4)
  • 100 Foot Wave (S2)
  • Hard Knocks
  • Painting with John
  • Angel City
  • Burden of Proof
  • The Golden Boy
  • Telemarketers
  • Savior Complex
And for this year, a lot of blah-

And for this year, a lot of blah-

Yeah, no one's interested in House of the Dragon, The White Lotus, Curb Your Enthusiasm's final season, True Detective: Night Country, Hacks, The Penguin (starring Colin Ferrell), Pretty Little Liars, or new prestige limited series starring Kate Winslet and Robert Downey, Jr. Right-o. Nothing to see here on HBO/Max in 2024...

Reactions: Wobble

• The Last of Us (S1)
  • Succession (S4)
  • C.B. Strike (S3)
  • Perry Mason (S2)
  • Winning Time (S2)
  • Rain Dogs
  • The Gilded Age (S2)
  • The Idol
  • White House Plumbers
  • Barry (S4)
  • 100 Foot Wave (S2)
  • Hard Knocks
  • Painting with John
  • Angel City
  • Burden of Proof
  • The Golden Boy
  • Telemarketers
  • Savior Complex
To each their own, from that list, I have watched two shows(Last of Us and Barry), then 3 I wish to watch( Succession, C.B. Strike and maybe The Gilded Age).

In 2023, from P+
Star Trek: Picard
Mayor of Kingstown
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Special Ops: Lioness
Lawmen: Bass Reeves
Star Trek: Lower Decks
Beavis and Butt-Head ( don’t judge me)
Joe Pickett
South Park Specials

That is just from 2023, other shows that will have new seasons in 2024 like Seal Team and Evil I watch.

Then we have CBS Shows , in real 1080P, since I do not have a live TV Service, it is needed for the content I still view, which is about 8 shows.

Then there is the Showtime content that I still wish to check out, Yellowjackets is one example.

The newest thing Paramount+ is offering, movies in 4K that are not available in 4K anywhere else, Minority Report is one example.

So yes, I consider Paramount+ a better value, specially at $12.99 for the above.

Versus MAX at $20, the amount of HBO type content we get for that price point is underwhelming, the addition of CNN is a plus, the Discovery+ is not.

Reactions: Wobble
Yeah, no one's interested in House of the Dragon, The White Lotus, Curb Your Enthusiasm's final season, True Detective: Night Country, Hacks, The Penguin (starring Colin Ferrell), Pretty Little Liars, or new prestige limited series starring Kate Winslet and Robert Downey, Jr. Right-o. Nothing to see here on HBO/Max in 2024...
2 Shows on that list for me, Dragon and The Penguin .

Pretty Little Liars is a remake/sequel of a WB show, not really something that says HBO to me.

Problem for me is the costs are getting higher. Disney+ is likely not going to be resubscribed in our home once the annual is done. These side gigs are becoming more premium and unless you cut the metaphorical cord, it is becoming too much.

Problem for me is the costs are getting higher. Disney+ is likely not going to be resubscribed in our home once the annual is done. These side gigs are becoming more premium and unless you cut the metaphorical cord, it is becoming too much.
Again, I cut the cord, with the vast majority of content from Paid Live TV on the streaming services, plus all the extra stuff and HBO/Showtime for roughly $70 and in better quality. it was a easy decision.

2 Shows on that list for me, Dragon and The Penguin .

Pretty Little Liars is a remake/sequel of a WB show, not really something that says HBO to me.
The Penguin and Pretty Little Liars are not HBO shows, they are Max Originals and not meant to appeal to the same demographic as HBO Originals. But an HBO cable subscription comes with access to the Max app at no extra cost, which is why I listed those shows.

Then we have CBS Shows , in real 1080P, since I do not have a live TV Service, it is needed for the content I still view, which is about 8 shows.
To each their own, but CBS shows are for senior citizens with middle-of-the-road tastes. Lots of procedurals, cop shows, etc. Formulaic boring stuff.

To each their own, but CBS shows are for senior citizens with middle-of-the-road tastes. Lots of procedurals, cop shows, etc. Formulaic boring stuff.
I am almost 57, so close.

I like the FBI shows, SWAT, I will try Tracker when done for the season,

But never have watched the NCIS shows, same for the Chicago Shows on NBC/Peacock, there is not one show on NBC I watch, ABC a few, FOX, just some of Sunday’s Shows.

But the vast majority of shows I watch are the only streaming ones, for example, just finished the Night Agent.

We watch a fair number of Paramount+/Showtime originals that I wouldn't categorize the way you do. Halo, Yellowjackets, School Spirits are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head this early in the morning. It does seem like the amount of quality HBOMax shows has declined somewhat recently, but that is just a feeling, and not a quantitative measure or anything.

We watch a fair number of Paramount+/Showtime originals that I wouldn't categorize the way you do. Halo, Yellowjackets, School Spirits are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head this early in the morning. It does seem like the amount of quality HBOMax shows has declined somewhat recently, but that is just a feeling, and not a quantitative measure or anything.
I was talking about CBS shows, not Paramount+ Originals (which I find somewhat different from CBS shows) or Showtime Originals (which I find very different from CBS shows). Note, though, that the output of Showtime Originals has been cut by at least 50% this year as Showtime is now just the premium-tier content hub inside Paramount+ rather than being a whole channel/outlet in its own right. And it's not just the flow of new stuff from Showtime that has been cut, but also the catalog of past originals and movies (and the entire Showtime Sports division). David Nevins, the former Showtime CEO, talked about their content as targeting "coastal" tastes, i.e. edgier, more cinematic, sophisticated, diverse and/or liberal. If that's the kind of thing you're looking for, you're going to get more bank for your buck now from other outlets like Max (still home to a full slate of HBO content) or maybe Starz or Apple TV+.

Paramount+ is very much a tiny cable TV bundle, home to broadcast shows and live sports (CBS), basic cable-type shows (Paramount+ Originals, plus reruns/back seasons from the Viacom nets), and a mini-sized premium channel (Showtime).

Reactions: MikeD-C05
It does seem like the amount of quality HBOMax shows has declined somewhat recently, but that is just a feeling, and not a quantitative measure or anything.
Watch the first episode of Regime, and decide if you want to say that again.

Reactions: ncted