HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger

When I opened HBOMax on my Sony TV it prompted me to install the new Max app. The new app remembered my credentials. The new app did not replace the original so I will need to rearrange things.

Edit: I briefly started up the new Shazam movie and I definitely have Dolby Atmos.
Same here.

I cannot login with my AT&T account. It is just an endless loop of signing in to be automatically signed right back out. :mad:
I contacted support via chat, and they were able to resolve my issue. My AT&T account and my old HBOmax account had the same email address which confused the new login software. They had me change the password on my old HBOmax account and then login to it. This somehow made the connection to the AT&T-associated account and everything worked fine after that.

Picture perfect for the Roku Ultra and the switchover, I do pay direct, so that might be why I had no issues.

Last edited:
Just updated the app on the Fire Stick, everything was fine. Didn't need to reauthenticate. :)

It appears as Ad-Free (monthly) for me. I get it via AT&T Fiber which provides it as part of my Gig service. It'd be nice if things were more up front about what you were sub'd to or have access to.

Reactions: ncted
When I opened HBOMax on my Sony TV it prompted me to install the new Max app. The new app remembered my credentials. The new app did not replace the original so I will need to rearrange things.

Edit: I briefly started up the new Shazam movie and I definitely have Dolby Atmos.
Do you have the Ultra package?

Not yet. It says I have Legacy Ad-Free. My renewal is up in August so I assume I will need to change to Ultimate Ad-Free to maintain 4K.
I don't think the Ultra is worth is with as little 4k they have, non-movie. And who is ever going to download 100 shows a month?

I don't think the Ultra is worth is with as little 4k they have, non-movie. And who is ever going to download 100 shows a month?

Hopefully there will be some discounts available but I will likely sub to Ultimate regardless. Most of their newer stuff I have watched lately has been 4K and the Dolby extras so it is worth it to me.

Looking thru what is on the Discovery Part of MAX, on Animal Planet, noticed there are 12 Seasons of Finding Bigfoot, let me guess, they never found him.

I hate reality shows.

• Haha
Reactions: JUCJ85
Is there anything on Discovery+ not on Max? If so, then paying for Discovery+ makes no sense for me anyway.

Not yet. It says I have Legacy Ad-Free. My renewal is up in August so I assume I will need to change to Ultimate Ad-Free to maintain 4K.
That what it says for mine (I pay them direct), my subscription is up July 11, it say set to renew for $149.99 for Legacy Ad-Free and there are no options for Ultimate , just with ads, ad-free and of course Legacy Ad-Free.

If they want to sell me that and include 4K for the year, great, but I do not want it if it does not and no way to upgrade.

Via the website, the Ultimate option was off screen to the right. Had to scroll. $199.99 a year. I doubt the Legacy plan will renew but we shall see.

Via the website, the Ultimate option was off screen to the right. Had to scroll. $199.99 a year. I doubt the Legacy plan will renew but we shall see.
Thank you.

Went to change my plan, because if I renew, I only want 4k, this is what it said-

Current Plan
Legacy Ad-Free
$149.99
/year
Automatically renews at the then-current yearly price until cancelled.
New Plan
Ultimate Ad-Free
$199.99
/year
Automatically renews at the then-current yearly price until cancelled.

Your new plan will start today.​

You will be charged
$179.85
today, which is the price difference between plans, plus applicable tax.

Any benefits, savings, free trials or promotional periods specific to your current plan will not apply to your new plan.
By selecting “Confirm & Pay Now,” you agree that your new subscription will automatically renew each year at the then-current yearly price (now $199.99/year, plus applicable tax) on a recurring basis until you cancel.
To cancel, go to Settings > Subscription. If you cancel before a renewal, you'll have access until the next billing period.
No refunds or credit for partial years.

So I’m subbed through apple, and everything swapped over seamlessly. However I did notice that when using the Apple TV, EVERYTHING I watch in the MAX app is showing in Dolby vision, even with match content on.

Checked it on my GTV device and it shows range correctly. DV on what should be, non HDR on what isn’t.

I may delete off the Apple TV and reinstall to see if it corrects the issue.

Launch has been abysmal for me. HBO Max app will not run, tells me to upgrade to Max. Max will not let me log in using either the login with your provider option or a direct login. I have it free with my Directv Stream subscription.

Launch has been abysmal for me. HBO Max app will not run, tells me to upgrade to Max. Max will not let me log in using either the login with your provider option or a direct login. I have it free with my Directv Stream subscription.
Contact Max support via chat on their website. They helped me get logged in when I had a similar issue.

Anyone else notice Netflix released their password sharing crackdown on the same day MAX launched? Clearly they wanted to avoid some of the attention about it while everyone was distracted by other news.