HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger

I think you really believe that. That is really sad.
Well, you can explain it to me then, if I buy something for $1000 and it gives me 10% back, which is $100, which I then can turn around and buy a $100 gift card , how is that not free, the card I pay off every month, also no annual fee.

The card gave me the option, 10% back, which can only be used towards merchandise/gift cards, or 5% back in cash, I choose the 10% back, only get gift cards which are the same price at the stores, the merchandise is way over priced, I assume because of shipping, gift cards are sent via email.

Lost Opportunity Costs.

Use that “gift card” for X, it is not available for Y.

TANSTAFFL

So, welcome back to the bundle.

Pretty much.

As a consumer, its a little better in some ways, and worse in others.

Better in that it will probably stay lower cost. No MVPD mark up. You may not need to have all providers every month, so you can save a few $$$ canceling unused services monthly. You’re also more likely to get discounts on individual services through credit cards, cell or internet providers, etc. right now, I get $10 off per month on Disney Bundle if I pay with Amex. Last year, both Peacock and Paramount+ were half off for a year’s subscription. Max has a deal, too.

The down side may be that content is a little harder to find.

But, right now, we’re catching up on Star Wars Rebels and may go back and watch the last season of Clone Wars to prep for Ahsoka. Maybe also check the Mandolorian arcs in Clone Wars for good measure.

Between discounts and freebies, my streaming bill is about what my D* bill was when I left, more so when you include D* fees. But I have much more content now through streaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the feeling that these streaming services are going to keep combining stuff into one app and you end up with a higher streaming bill. I even read one content provider was saying that they will combine Disney and Hulu plus and the Ceo even said we love "bundles". I bet they do and when they get though combining you will end up back with cable over the internet and paying higher prices. I even read about Paramount wanting to merge with another company other than Showtime which they did merge with. Just can't remember which one. But they are getting back to bundling so they can charge more. :smug

Well, you can explain it to me then, if I buy something for $1000 and it gives me 10% back, which is $100, which I then can turn around and buy a $100 gift card , how is that not free, the card I pay off every month, also no annual fee.

The card gave me the option, 10% back, which can only be used towards merchandise/gift cards, or 5% back in cash, I choose the 10% back, only get gift cards which are the same price at the stores, the merchandise is way over priced, I assume because of shipping, gift cards are sent via email.
What card are you using that gives 10% back? Even in gift cards there must be a catch. Is there a limit to how much qualifies for that?

What card are you using that gives 10% back? Even in gift cards there must be a catch. Is there a limit to how much qualifies for that?
I am just going to say it is a certain color.

Again, only digital gift cards are worth it, physical cards are more, as is merchandise.

I am very paid up on most streaming services because of this, both Paramount+ with Showtime and Apple TV are paid up into 2027, Netflix and Hulu Bundle until 2025.

YouTube TV until Jan/2024, but will be canceling , the good thing was I was able to pay for NFL ST with Google Play Cards also.

They just added Vudu Cards a few months ago, so I have been mostly buying those, so I get all new movies from there, for example Indiana Jones 5 is out on August 29, will be buying that for sure.

Now I just need HBOMAX and Peacock to offer cards, those two I have to pay real money for.

Again, only digital gift cards are worth it, physical cards are more, as is merchandise.

I am very paid up on most streaming services because of this, both Paramount+ with Showtime and Apple TV are paid up into 2027, Netflix and Hulu Bundle until 2025.

YouTube TV until Jan/2024, but will be canceling , the good thing was I was able to pay for NFL ST with Google Play Cards also.

They just added Vudu Cards a few months ago, so I have been mostly buying those, so I get all new movies from there, for example Indiana Jones 5 is out on August 29, will be buying that for sure.

Now I just need HBOMAX and Peacock to offer cards, those two I have to pay real money for.
Peacock is free if you have 1 gig internet

I don't know what that means. PM me if you don't want to share publicly, but I want to read the terms to understand. They should not be able to give 10% back in any form (even electronic gift cards) and make money. They don't make anywhere near 10% on a transaction charge and I'd love the opportunity to screw over a credit card company as it sounds like you are doing. :)

Reactions: mackie99
I don't know what that means. PM me if you don't want to share publicly, but I want to read the terms to understand. They should not be able to give 10% back in any form (even electronic gift cards) and make money. They don't make anywhere near 10% on a transaction charge and I'd love the opportunity to screw over a credit card company as it sounds like you are doing. :)
My guess is they get the gift cards at a discount .

And like I said, they are the only good deal, all merchandise is like triple what it costs in the stores for cash, a Nintendo Switch is $900 in their point system, $300 in the stores, a normal ipad, which is like $400, is $999.

You can afford 10% in points/credits if you charge those prices.

As previously alluded to, a live stream of CNN material is coming to Max in 3 days. Looks like it is not just the straight CNN feed (I'm sure there would have been problems with distributors over that) but a separate feed of live news. I have to think they are going to be a lot of the same content just slightly different. It will be interesting to see if there is a leftist bias or if this is more down the middle. No additional fee, but it is ad supported (like the linear stream).

Reactions: longhorn23
As previously alluded to, a live stream of CNN material is coming to Max in 3 days. Looks like it is not just the straight CNN feed (I'm sure there would have been problems with distributors over that) but a separate feed of live news. I have to think they are going to be a lot of the same content just slightly different. It will be interesting to see if there is a leftist bias or if this is more down the middle. No additional fee, but it is ad supported (like the linear stream).
From the rumors I have heard from work, the Live News will be more like the CBS and ABC News apps, which are the closest to the old Headline News.

That is until they can get their Live Cable/Satellite/Streaming issues worked out, then it will be a straight CNN feed.

By the way, more tossing stuff at the wall from Warner/Discovery to see what sticks.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
From the rumors I have heard from work, the Live News will be more like the CBS and ABC News apps, which are the closest to the old Headline News.

That is until they can get their Live Cable/Satellite/Streaming issues worked out, then it will be a straight CNN feed.
Yeah, I imagine those are not insignificant issues. If I'm one of the distributors I would push hard against this as it just further makes them irrelevant. And it isn't like it is 1 negotiation. It is all of the providers. My guess is that is many years off.

Yeah, I imagine those are not insignificant issues. If I'm one of the distributors I would push hard against this as it just further makes them irrelevant. And it isn't like it is 1 negotiation. It is all of the providers. My guess is that is many years off.
Many were against it, heard a really big service said no also, wanted a discount in the per sub fee they get charged.

Cable/Satellite has picked a weird moment to start fighting back, not like CNN gets great ratings.

The number of losses (cord cutters) have really accelerated the last few years, ever since streaming services like Paramount and Peacock started offering Live Feeds ( especially sporting events like NFL, Olympics, March Madness, all play offs/Championships for the pro leagues, now more College Football, etc) , that was Traditional Providers’ territory, streaming was just on-demand and exclusive content before that.

Looks like Disney and ESPN might be in for a fight.

Last edited:
Someone has not learned the lessons of the past-

Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav hinted that its Max streaming service may get even more expensive over time.

Zaslav made the case that the company will be able to justify possible price increases by raising the value offered by Max. He made the comments at the Goldman Sachs Communacopia + Technology conference on Wednesday.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Someone has not learned the lessons of the past-

Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav hinted that its Max streaming service may get even more expensive over time.

Zaslav made the case that the company will be able to justify possible price increases by raising the value offered by Max. He made the comments at the Goldman Sachs Communacopia + Technology conference on Wednesday.

How do you propose to pay for programming?... its not free...maybe crowd funding will do it

How do you propose to pay for programming?... its not free...maybe crowd funding will do it
Has nothing to do with what I am posting, to be talking about another price increase just 3 months after the last one is idiotic and helps push people away from the service.

They have no choice. Eventually the stock market demands a company or a division of a company MAKE A PROFIT. Streaming doesn't (except for Netflix). All the talk of some voodoo thing that says this or that service will actually make a profit in this or that year is just so much ho-ha. Streaming is fully rolled out, everyone who wants it has it. No one is waiting for it to come to their town. It is what it is. Unprofitable.

So what is WBD to do? If you have a product that less people want than it costs to make, you have to raise prices. That simple. The dumb money on the stock market moves on to the next shiny object and leaves the last thing answering to the smart money, which demands results.

The problem is outlined above. Because most all cord switchers are extremely money motivated, raising prices for A just pushes them to B. This is why every cord switcher post contains the phrases "I saved..." and "I don't really miss_____all that much".