HD Locals in Capitola, CA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Michael_Lee

Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Dear All,

I have searched the forums for a couple of weeks on this subject, but I can't find any answers.

I rent in a Historic house in Capitola, CA and I am unable to alter the view of the house by putting an OTA antenna on the roof. ( Landlord and Legal! ) I have the 5 lnb dish set up under a gable at the back of the house so that I can receive D*. I have tried to get waivers from my locals and have been denied. I have tried the OTA antenna for the dish and it didn't work, tried a $200 Terk in the attic ( UHF only and 2 of the locals broadcast VHF), same result, No Signal. Tried the RS top of the line indoor antenna and got 1 HD station that was pixelated. The local xmitters are 29- 35 miles away per antenna.org.

I have "moved" in the past, but the wife wants our locals and doesn't care about HD as I do.

I have the D* SDDVR/TIVO and a H20-100, currently and I am planning to upgrade to the new HD DVR and droppin both old units.

Cable does not provide any HD currently nor in the projected future.

I am currently at a loss. Where do I go next?
You can PM me with colorful solutions. :)

Thank in advance,

Michael Lee

Capitola & Santa Cruz areas are in the MONTEREY-SALINAS DMA even though Santa Clara County is in the San Fran DMA.

mikew said:
A move to Big Sur will qualify you for HD Distant and Salinas/Monterey locals.

He already has the MONTEREY-SALINAS DMA locals in Capitola, which are not yet available for ND LIL. He would need to move some where close in the Santa Clara or San Mateo County area to receive the SF HD LIL he wants but the wife doesn't.

He doesn't say what locals the wife specifically wants, so would she be OK with the locals and HD from SF? or is she only wanting the MONTEREY-SALINAS DMA locals?

Attachments

• DMA.jpg
    DMA.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
According to the D* HD eligibilty site, Big Sur would get him LA HD and would keep his wife happy with the true locals as well. Of course, he should get his new equipment installed before moving to Big Sur.

Yep, we are working him toward the same result. It just matter what the boss wants and what he can live with/without. Being that close to SF they (HE) may want any RSN HD for their area which the LA DMA wouldn't give them. BUT at this point we are both guessing because he hasn't posted any more details. LOL!

You're right...let's continue battling while the OP sleeps :)

Since he'd be in Big Sur, he'd still be in the footprint and market to get FSN Bay Area in HD. The only downside is he wouldn't get KTVU for Giants HD or Niners HD.

I used to live in Salinas, CA. I am so happy to now live in an area big enough to have all nets in HD and available with little effort OTA.

The Salinas/Monterey area has been so neglected over the years. In Salinas, a town of over 100,000, the cable company changed hands 4 times over 5 years. Each company that acquired it did not want to spend money on the infrastructure. I left in 2001. I lived in a new community in a densly popluated area and couldn't get DSL or Cable Internet. In fact, they used a method to save money on the phone lines, so the highest my modem would connect was 19,200. The cable system only, at that time, had 35 analog channels available...YUCK !

I had an idea that may solve my problem, but I'd like to run it by all of you. What if I keep the sd receiver in Capitola and move the HD receiver to Santa Clara County. Also would the spot beam reach? Would D* charge the same as I have now for multi room set-up?

Thanks,

Michael

charper1 said:
It really needs to be "absorbed" into the SF DMA and maybe the far southern end into the LA

I wish that could be the case, but there are 3 locals in Salinas that would block it. They also refuse to allow any waivers.

If you had two sepearate locations, they'd charge you full price for the service on each box (not a mirror fee). Why wouldn't your wife want SF locals? I'd be 99% certain the SF beam will reach Santa Cruz.

Then maybe you could try this.

With a HD receiver, keep your service in the Salinas DMA and get a great OTA antenna to attempt to pull the SF OTA digital.

What is your zip?

SF OTA will not happen in Capitola. He'd need big gear on the roof, which is not an option. At least he can watch TV in "living color"!

That's what I thought.
Guess I'll be waiting until next year when the new birds fly.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)