HD or SD locals on Conus

mattcoz

Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Mexico
Just wondering what CONUS locals are available in either SD or HD. Are the LA and Chicago still there as per the channel chart? If so, any news of plans to move them off?
Thanks

I would be willing to make a "move" to any area that would allow good local reception. It just needs to be CONUS. Thanks for the reply, Jim

Bobby said:
And what is CONUS today might not be tomorrow. Chicago just went from CONUS to Spotbeam this morning.

I think Chicago HD locals are still on CONUS, only the SD channels were moved. I do agree, though, there is no way to know how long any local will stay on CONUS.

In Mexico you might want to look for a TX, CA. spotbeam that will reach you and then move there. With DISH agreeing to carry all DMAs conus service is going to be a thing of the past for locals.:)

I think Chicago HD locals are still on CONUS, only the SD channels were moved. I do agree, though, there is no way to know how long any local will stay on CONUS.

Wrong, the HD were already on Spot beam only, now the Chicago S.D. are spot beam. There are no longer any Chicago locals on Conus.

I was watching the Chicago Bears games in Florida on Conus beam for 14.99 welcome pack. Now I have to go to the mega expensive DTV sunday ticket. grrr

I don't understand

Wrong, the HD were already on Spot beam only, now the Chicago S.D. are spot beam. There are no longer any Chicago locals on Conus.

I'm confused. On your chart dated 4/02/2011 for Satellite 110 is says that the Chicago HD networks (Channels 73, 74, 75, 76) are on Conus Transponder 21. I just upgraded my subscription to HD and am waiting to get my new HD receiver thinking that I would be able to get the Chicago HD networks. What's the deal?

I'm confused. On your chart dated 4/02/2011 for Satellite 110 is says that the Chicago HD networks (Channels 73, 74, 75, 76) are on Conus Transponder 21. I just upgraded my subscription to HD and am waiting to get my new HD receiver thinking that I would be able to get the Chicago HD networks. What's the deal?

Are you looking at DISH Network or Directv 110 location?

First, before it gets out of hand, that chart is NOT official from Dish, even though it is correct. So don't blame something on a site that is not the Official Dish site.
Those channels are still there, but not broadcasting anything other than a message to past subscribers that the service is no longer being offered. They are in a hold, until someone else comes along to provide them, or Dish decides to use them for something else, or I suppose Dish decides to offer them. There is NOTHING on the Dish site that tells you that you will get any networks other than what is in your DMA as described when you do the qualification.
Also note, even at that, Dish never offered those, it was a separate company. You made an assumption unfortunately that is not true.

And to add to that, there are plenty of channels on the chart that not everyone is eligible to get. Just because they are there does not mean you can get them. It simply is a correct listing of what is on the satellites, not what you can get. None of this is hardly anything new, some of the biggest threads are about distants.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, again if anyone knows what HD channels (if any) are actually being broadcast on CONUS. I am not interested in distants or third parties as the service address can be changed to suit the market. Thanks

I don't know about Dish anymore but you can get US HD locals from Detroit and Seattle (you can even get both!) from Shaw Direct. This is a Canadian service and you will have to give a Canadian address or use a broker. I do miss the rest of the US programming living in southern Mexico but Dish and Direct are both not good options anymore. Shaw has a very basic plan that is for US and Canadian local channels (even HD) for $25/mo.

I also now have most network content on demand through Netflix and Hulu (need vpn in Mexico) but live programming is also something I want, so I got Shaw. I am closely watching for news that may allow me to go back to US satellite someday without a 10ft plus antenna.

Thanks Jayrey. I am aware of Shaw and may go that route upon completion of my Dish contract. At this point, 8ft antennas get most programming, but I was really looking for HD locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)