HDTV Cable requirements

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Then you should be good to go. The fact that your two TV locations had Directv running at one time clarifies much. The older SD round dish has two lines running from them and each one probably served one of your TV locations. What will probably happen is the tech will use one underground line to connect the new dish to a DirecTV approved splitter (and power inserter) in the attic or elsewhere. The SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) makes DirecTV installations more like what you may have seen with cable.

One issue that may come up = the new dishes use a 2" pole. The older poles are smaller. I don't know whether Directv techs use or have pole adapters that allow mounting the larger dish on the small poles....so the tech may want to install a new pole. IF the existing pole is pretty firmly installed you can clamp a new pole to the existing one rather than dig a new hole etc.

IF the tech decides to kick in more cable......there is a possibility he will find your HughesNet cable with his shovel. Try to find where that cable enters the building. Also your telco line may be shallow near the building so add these to the list of things to observe and test during the installation.

Report how it goes,

Joe

Good point about the difference in pole size, thats something I forgot about, lets hope thats not an issue for Blues.

Personally, if he has to place a new pole close to the old one, let him, go out at a later time and cut the old one down ...

Thanks Joe and others.....I will report back so others can use this info as reference...It has been a small nightmare for me..Hopefully, things will go smooth...not sure about the pole size that's out there...But I am sure there is a way to adapt...Thanks once again!!!!

Then you should be good to go. The fact that your two TV locations had Directv running at one time clarifies much. The older SD round dish has two lines running from them and each one probably served one of your TV locations. What will probably happen is the tech will use one underground line to connect the new dish to a DirecTV approved splitter (and power inserter) in the attic or elsewhere. The SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) makes DirecTV installations more like what you may have seen with cable.

One issue that may come up = the new dishes use a 2" pole. The older poles are smaller. I don't know whether Directv techs use or have pole adapters that allow mounting the larger dish on the small poles....so the tech may want to install a new pole. IF the existing pole is pretty firmly installed you can clamp a new pole to the existing one rather than dig a new hole etc.

IF the tech decides to kick in more cable......there is a possibility he will find your HughesNet cable with his shovel. Try to find where that cable enters the building. Also your telco line may be shallow near the building so add these to the list of things to observe and test during the installation.

Report how it goes,

Joe

Thanks Joe and others.....I will report back so others can use this info as reference...It has been a small nightmare for me..Hopefully, things will go smooth...not sure about the pole size that's out there...But I am sure there is a way to adapt...Thanks once again!!!!

The pole size that will be needed would be a pole with an OD of 2"s.

You probably have a 1 5/8th now.

The pole size that will be needed would be a pole with an OD of 2"s.

You probably have a 1 5/8th now.

Then he should have an adapter on the truck, hopefully! One other thing I didn't mention was that up in the attic there is a splitter that originally ran THREE standard dishes - Since my daughter married and moved out, there is no box running off the third line.Don't know if that matters?

Last edited:

Report how it goes,

Joe

Another good point you make - The power from the power company, hughesnet and telco lines all run from the right to the center of the home and the DTV runs from the left - but they all meet at one place - That's scary if he knocks out any of those lines...the power runs deep, but the other two maybe 6 inches down - if there is too much concern I will just live with what I have...sad...but I am not taking chances..

Another good point you make - The power from the power company, hughesnet and telco lines all run from the right to the center of the home and the DTV runs from the left - but they all meet at one place - That's scary if he knocks out any of those lines...the power runs deep, but the other two maybe 6 inches down - if there is too much concern I will just live with what I have...sad...but I am not taking chances..

Underground cable runs can be tricky. Conduit is nice. A call to MISS UTILITY is free and they will mark the utilities. A metal detector works but who has one of those? Know that (1) the tech can probably use one of the two existing cables from the dish to the building. (2) The only real threat to the cable is lawn mowers.......you can push it into wet lawn with a 2 x 4 and it will settle out of sight. Threnching is not necessary.

I have seen phone line run across lawns and then sod rolled over them........works for awhile.

God luck,

Joe

Then he should have an adapter on the truck, hopefully! One other thing I didn't mention was that up in the attic there is a splitter that originally ran THREE standard dishes - Since my daughter married and moved out, there is no box running off the third line.Don't know if that matters?

No adapters allowed anymore. It's either a new pole or it doesn't go there. We use to be able to "sleeve" the poles and pass QC's but now directv requires new 2 inch poles.

No adapters allowed anymore. It's either a new pole or it doesn't go there. We use to be able to "sleeve" the poles and pass QC's but now directv requires new 2 inch poles.

Well then Hutch - If they don't allow adapters, then he has to leave. I paid 100 bucks for this pole - DTV will eat the cost of a new pole or lose my business. A two inch pole can slide over top of this pole and add some concrete and it ain't going anywhere - If he won't do it, Then I deal with a bad picture or see if DISH will do it. There is no place else to put this dish - I won't allow it on the roof because I can't get to it to remove ice and snow...So, we'll see...I should call tech support now and see what they say.

Well then Hutch - If they don't allow adapters, then he has to leave. I paid 100 bucks for this pole - DTV will eat the cost of a new pole or lose my business. A two inch pole can slide over top of this pole and add some concrete and it ain't going anywhere - If he won't do it, Then I deal with a bad picture or see if DISH will do it. There is no place else to put this dish - I won't allow it on the roof because I can't get to it to remove ice and snow...So, we'll see...I should call tech support now and see what they say.

Well I called tech support and they have no clue - I will wait for the installer to get here and discuss options - If I need a 2 inch pole, then I will negotiate cost - If he doesn't work with me, he goes home...Period.

Well I called tech support and they have no clue - I will wait for the installer to get here and discuss options - If I need a 2 inch pole, then I will negotiate cost - If he doesn't work with me, he goes home...Period.

Just keep your tone with the technician polite and posotive, he has rules to follow, and everything hutch said is completely true. We cant sleeve a pole or adapt it. You need a 2" OD galvanized pipe. Assuming he has one available to him, some contractors don't carry these unless prior noted on the work order. It may be a completely different tech from the last guy. The price for a pole mount is standardized by directv. If the tech wants to do it for less and work out a deal privately with you, that's his business. Just remember you are not the only customer of the day as well. So he won't be going home, he'll be going to his next job. It's usually better not to argue with techs about things we can't control. If I asked you to come work for me at lets say mcdonalds, but instead of paying you minimum wage, I wanted to pay you only 5 bucks an hour, would you do it? Why should the tech get paid less to do your job than what he is entitled to? Like I said its yours and his business, if he feels ok with bending or breaking rules, and that you won't call in for a service call that could get him in trouble for breaking those rules, then he may do it. It never hurts or ask.

Just keep your tone with the technician polite and posotive, he has rules to follow, and everything hutch said is completely true. We cant sleeve a pole or adapt it. You need a 2" OD galvanized pipe. Assuming he has one available to him, some contractors don't carry these unless prior noted on the work order. It may be a completely different tech from the last guy. The price for a pole mount is standardized by directv. If the tech wants to do it for less and work out a deal privately with you, that's his business. Just remember you are not the only customer of the day as well. So he won't be going home, he'll be going to his next job. It's usually better not to argue with techs about things we can't control. If I asked you to come work for me at lets say mcdonalds, but instead of paying you minimum wage, I wanted to pay you only 5 bucks an hour, would you do it? Why should the tech get paid less to do your job than what he is entitled to? Like I said its yours and his business, if he feels ok with bending or breaking rules, and that you won't call in for a service call that could get him in trouble for breaking those rules, then he may do it. It never hurts or ask.

I understand what you say, and I will not be rude or demading...what is upsetting me is the fact that DTV says FREE upgrade, and they said based on the fact that my system was installed in 2005, everything should be a quick and clean swap out of the dish and box....I don't hold anything against the installer...I feel DTV is giving fraudulent info to customers. I guess I will just have to pay what he asks, or see if there are options....Thanks for your reply - I am frustrated at all this - I don't even want HD but I have to have it because my TV is now no longer compatible with the old standard DTV boxes...as I have said several times...Thanks!!!!!! for all your input!

This is the only job I can think of that Prices are negotiated by the installers ... if I pulled this I'd get wrote up and sent home and reminded about Conflict of interest (doing work the company should get paid for.

Jimbo, many of us working as contractors are "the company". Nobody provides us with materials,insurance, fuel, etc. .I charge 75 for a properly installed pole with concrete and 20 ft of burial. I believe that is a fair price.

Jimbo, many of us working as contractors are "the company". Nobody provides us with materials,insurance, fuel, etc. .I charge 75 for a properly installed pole with concrete and 20 ft of burial. I believe that is a fair price.

tychipman - If he charged me $75.00 to install a new pole adjacent to the existing coax, THAT would make me a very happy man. 8 years ago I got ripped for over 100 bucks for the pole and the fact that my junction box was put in the attic by the builders. DTV told me that as long as there is a junction box already in the house. the location of it doesn't make it a custom install - The pole mount was custom....I mean - the installer did nothing but complain that he had to attend his son's birthday party....Like I said - DTV is making a fortune in Satellite TV - When they say FREE - it should mean FREE, and THEY should be paying these installers and paying them well. Just my opinion. I should have to lay out a penny except the delivery of the new dish and box...

The basic install is free, but Directv doesn't consider a pole mount basic. You generally do get one free if there is no other option. The truth is that many installers prefer them because they can be faster to install and you don't have to get on the ladder.

The basic install is free, but Directv doesn't consider a pole mount basic. You generally do get one free if there is no other option. The truth is that many installers prefer them because they can be faster to install and you don't have to get on the ladder.
Raul - I know the pole mount isn't basic - what I mean is, if I already have a pole mount, and Directv changed their specifications on the size of the pole needed - it should be them to pay....My neighbor just had dish upgraded - Dish HD - 1 5/8 " pole....No charge....That's what I mean - I can't use Dish though - I have special packages that DTV grandfathered in from years ago as I have mentioned, so these channels would be unavailable to me if I jumped ship...He is coming tomorrow and I will report back hopefully with excellent news.

Last edited:

OK folks - I promised I would report back. Installer has come and gone and all work completed in 20 minutes - He did supply me with a new 2 inch pole - He slipped it over the other pole and dug a foot or more around it and filled it with Sackrete. He then tried for a signal but determined he had to go in the attic and remove the splitter - No power inserter was installed - All done 75 bucks - Thanks to all of your knowledge - each and every one of you! I worried for nothing!
Jow

Excellent! I'm glad it all worked out so well for you.

Excellent! I'm glad it all worked out so well for you.

Thanks Chip!!! He was excellent - The attic was his hardest job - It is very hot up there - I gave him some iced tea, some Ibuprofen because he wurt his back, and I also gave him a tip - Small price to pay for a wonderful picture - Thanks again one and all - You were all right in what I was to expect!
Joe

You sound like the kind of customer all install techs would want to have!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts