HDTVTAX.COM - What next

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ScottJayhawk said:
It's really very simple. If you don't like the so-called tax - DON'T BUY IT!

If you want the added value of games in HD, the red-zone channel, the Mix channels and complete games in less than 30 minutes available Sunday night, don't spend the money. Simple.

That can be said of any tax.

I got an interesting note, that Canadian DBS company Starchoice is offering the Sunday Ticket package for only $100 CDN! (Note they do not have the HD game)

Why is it cheaper to watch American Football from a forigen country?

Scott Greczkowski said:
I got an interesting note, that Canadian DBS company Starchoice is offering the Sunday Ticket package for only $100 CDN! (Note they do not have the HD game)

Because :clap the beer costs twice as much...LOL

The easy economic answer is that the NFL has microscopic market penetration there as compared to the US market and thus lowers its cost to the distribution outlets so that the cost can be lower to the end consumer and thus hopefully grow their NFL market. Not fair to those of us on the US side, but purely a basic and simple economic principal at work.

Scott Greczkowski said:

Has to be demand. I mean with all they great CFL action (joking) who needs American Football. I am not looking but would be curious to know how much hockey packages (like center ice) cost there and also if the world leagues are readily available.

Demand Scottie ... they just don't care and I think this coincides with curling season. Does anyone but me see a South Park Movie scenario developing here?

This was an email I sent to Directv concerning NFL Sunday Ticket. Apparently she does not get it. Directv still charges around $30 more a month then StarChoice on this. even without the "HD tax" it is still to high !!! read below:

Dear William,

Thanks for writing. We're sorry for any confusion this may have caused. The Early Bird price for the NFL SUNDAY TICKET is just $219 for the regular season (that's $20 off of the regular season price), billed in four easy payments of $54.75. This Early Bird price is available until July 31, 2005. We have also included more information regarding the NFL Sunday Ticket below.

1. The regular season dates are September 11, 2005 - January 1, 2006.
2. The NFL games can be found on channels 704-718.
3. You must keep a permanent phone line connection to your receiver throughout the season.
4. The package cannot be transferred, refunded, cancelled or credited (in part or in whole) after the season starts.
5. Blackout and game availability restrictions apply. If a game is not sold out 72 hours prior to kickoff, it will be blacked out in the home team territory, which is determined by your zip code. Games broadcast by your local FOX or CBS affiliate may not be available on NFL SUNDAY TICKET. Tune to your local FOX or CBS affiliate to see these games.
6. DIRECTV automatically renews the NFL SUNDAY TICKET at a special renewal rate each year, provided your account is in good standing and we carry the service, unless you cancel before the season starts.
7. The schedule is subject to change.

Thanks again for writing. Please visit DIRECTVSPORTS.com/NFL for more information about this year’s package, including the schedule.

Sincerely,

Kimber
DIRECTV Customer Service

---------------------------------------------------------------
Original Message Follows:

DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

Name: William Brewer II

[Account Number: ]

E-mail Address: "William Brewer II"<cablewithaview@yahoo.com>

[Topic Selected: Other]

Subject: pricing

Details: I can do without Logo on my tv.
I have been doing some research on this NFL Sunday Ticket. come to find out, it's over priced by roughly $30 on the four payment deal. Why do you overcharge for such a thing? I don't understand why you would advertise that dish is better than cable. prices are to high!!!

This is supposed to thwart commercial theft. Commercial establishments like sports bars pay a set rate based on the maximum fire code capacity. Lets say, the owner got his 4 residential boxes authorized and then moves them to his bar. The permanent land-line phone connection is supposed to be told to make random calls out to verify that the receiver is where it is supposed to be; I have never known how they can do this reliably, especially if the guy takes his boxes back home and connects them until next sunday, but that is the idea anyway.

My scenario, is that they were removed from the phone line at home and never connected to a phone line at the bar; just sat & A/V connections. The "call home" commands should be issued via the satellite signal, then the matching receiver ID will try to "phone home". The modem will never detect a dial tone to call out. How will DirecTV be 100% assured that the customer's receiver got the call command or isn't having phone outages, or just may not be connected at home at that moment? What about people that take their receiver to tailgate? I mean sure they can shut it right off, but it will be a big headache too when they are wrong.

Proof of burden would be the customer not DirecTV. I know what you are saying but when you are as big as they are, they could care less. I have been into it with them recently about cost. they are going after INHD for over pricing but yet we don't do nothing. We should be going after them for over pricing HD and NFL Sunday Ticket. You can get NFL through StarChoice roughly $120 less or more for the whole season. Even though I do not subscribe to NFL, I beleive in being fair to everyone.

Well isn't that a Canadian service? And with almost no market share there as compared to here in the US that part isn't a huge deal with me; I mean that's how companies expand into new markets in every sector; with lower wholesale prices to the distributor in growth areas so that the end consumer can have a lower price. So I have little beef with that argument.

The issue I have is the large % jump in the regular NFL ST and then the additional fact that the "superfan" costs were targeted just at current NFL ST subscribers not an across the board of HD pack subs raise or even across the board to all DirecTV subs.

cablewithaview said:
I would about bet they call the receivers during Sunday to check there location and shut them down if they have to.

A problem easily solved with VOIP. If they really want to know where the receivers are they should implement some kind of GPS system that would work through the reciever/sat/Dish and not the phone lines.

Why not change your phone number to the work number and then your receivers will be calling from the bar where they are? As long as they dial out from the same phone number they have on record Directv should be happy. It 's when you have them calling from different numbers ,on the different receivers on the same account that there is a problem, as well as all of them, calling from a different number than is on record.

charper1 said:
The easy economic answer is that the NFL has microscopic market penetration there as compared to the US market and thus lowers its cost to the distribution outlets so that the cost can be lower to the end consumer and thus hopefully grow their NFL market. Not fair to those of us on the US side, but purely a basic and simple economic principal at work.

Gents - let's be clear on this. The NFL puts the rights out for bid. It does not set the end-user price. When D* paid a record amount to have the US exclusive rights, we ALL should have expected price increases (and we got them). At this point, D* is merely testing the price elasticity of the HD fan base vs. the normal fan base. While the NFL has granted additional leeway on its content to D* for the massive sum ($200MM/year, IIRC) it pays, D* is the one that has decided to tax us, not the NFL.

The price is cheaper in Canada because the rights there are non-exclusive (lower cost for providers), and the fan base is more price sensitive (lower end-user price, regardless of cost).

That being said, I canceled my subscription to ST last month. If it weren't for the HD Tivo, I'd bail on D* in a hearbeat. In point of fact, if TWC ever gets firewire-enabled DVRs, I'll probably drop D* altogether.

Later,
Bill

I frequently had STBs that had no phone line attached shut down during the NFL season. What sucks is that they were the kids STB's, so the NFL wasn't a big deal, but they completely kill the box until you can get a phone line hooked up and call-in. :mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV Gearing Up For New Initiatives

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)