Help picking a receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I have a friend with DirecTV and he's wanting to buy a DVR. He knows nothing about technology or nothing about the products that DirecTV offers. He wants me to help him chose a DVR, but I know nothing about DirecTV products either, so I'm sure someone here can give me some info.

First, he wants a dual tuner DVR. He currently does not have HD, but depending on the difference in cost, he probably would not mind buying an HD DVR for future proof. He would like to buy something local. Does Circuit City offer DVRs? What are the price differences between the HD and SD boxes? Thanks for the help.

The current SD DVRs are H2x and the HD ones are HR2x.

Check the DirecTV website for their current deals.

One thing to keep in mind is that all receivers are subsized by DirecTV (whether bought through DirecTV or a store) and thus are considered leased and require a subscription commitment.

One thing to keep in mind is that all receivers are subsized by DirecTV (whether bought through DirecTV or a store) and thus are considered leased and require a subscription commitment.

I understand they still require a subscription. The reason he wants to buy local is because he wants to pick one up today. Do you know if Circuit City carries these receivers? And other than HD, is there a difference between the H2x and HR2x series receivers? Does the SD receiver offer an antenna input?

I have a friend with DirecTV and he's wanting to buy a DVR. He knows nothing about technology or nothing about the products that DirecTV offers. He wants me to help him chose a DVR, but I know nothing about DirecTV products either, so I'm sure someone here can give me some info.

First, he wants a dual tuner DVR. He currently does not have HD, but depending on the difference in cost, he probably would not mind buying an HD DVR for future proof. He would like to buy something local. Does Circuit City offer DVRs? What are the price differences between the HD and SD boxes? Thanks for the help.

The HD DVR's are usually $100 more then the SD, ($199 vs. $99). Since they are a current customer I'd recommend that he just call DirecTV and ask how much to upgrade his system to a HD DVR. Unless he has a Ka/Ku band dish they'll also need to get a dish and maybe switch upgrade which D* will usually do for no charge if upgrading to HD. If they do go HD there is an extra $9.99/month HD enabling charge that they'll pay just because they have HD hardware. If they don't want to go that route the big box stores, BestBuy, Circuit City etc. do sell them.

IMHO it's worth it to go the HD route even if they don't have an HD set yet. The picture on a SD set is going to look so much better then the same SD channel. Plus the HD DVR's is where DirecTV is adding all the new features and can do Video on Demand (via an existing broadband internet connection) and Media Share (view pictures/videos and play MP3's from a network attached PC).

Actually the SD ones are the R15 and R16 and the R22

Unless he has a Ka/Ku band dish they'll also need to get a dish and maybe switch upgrade which D* will usually do for no charge if upgrading to HD. If they do go HD there is an extra $9.99/month HD enabling charge that they'll pay just because they have HD hardware.

So HD programming is required when you own an HD box? Also, would he need a switch upgrade without upgrading to HD? He currently does not want to make a programming change until he buys an HDTV.

So HD programming is required when you own an HD box? Also, would he need a switch upgrade without upgrading to HD? He currently does not want to make a programming change until he buys an HDTV.

Yes, the HD access fee is required as soon as you activate a HD box. With the HD access any HD channel that has a SD counterpart in their programmin package automatically is added, other then that no programming change is required.

As for the switch question, it all depends on what their current configuration looks like. The new HD dish/LNB's have a four port multiswitch built into them, if more then four ports would be needed then also a new switch. But AFAIK, when upgrading to HD, DirecTV throws in the dish and any switches needed as part of the upgrade.

Sorry about the misinformation. I had the H2x units on my mind when I posted. The H2x units are the non-DVR HD receivers and the HR2x units are the HD DVR receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blazers on NBA pass in portland oregon

pittsburgh locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts