Help with Hopper Upgrade Configuration

textmex

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
First time back in a while. I set up my house years ago with invaluable help from this community. Now I'm trying to upgrade to the Hopper. Here's the deal.

I have 7 TVs, 4 HD that are primary use and 3 secondary SD only TVs that get limited use. Currently I have a 922, 622 and 222 at three of the primary TVs and use a 8 way splitter to route all the TV2 outputs to the various other TVs around the house. Works well, I really only need to bring a TV2 remote when i go to one of the rooms with a little used SD TV.

I contacted Dish yesterday about upgrading to Hopper. They told me I would need 2 hoppers and 5 Joeys, no other options. Obviously this is cost prohibitive. So I'm looking for advice on a solution. Or just point me to another thread if one exists. My main questions:

1. They said the Hopper/Joey set up cannot have a 322 on the same system. Is this true or just their "recommendation"? A Hopper with 3 Joeys and a cheap 322 would solve the problem nicely.

2. They said I can only have 3 Joeys per Hopper. Does this mean I can only have 3 connected or 3 in use at any time?

3. Can the Joey output or Hopper be split?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

1. True. Ain't gonna happen.

2. Connected.

3. Yes. Mirrored is possible and many have done it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

A Hopper and three Joeys would serve your four HDTVS. From one or more of the Joeys or Hopper, you could connect an RF modulator to the composite output and connect the three others as you do now. However, the hopper only has three tuners, so not all four HDs could be watching different channels at once. If that is needed, then get two Hoppers and two Joeys. Would allow you to you record six channels at a time, or one more per Hopper with optional OTA dongle.

Last edited:
Thanks, KAB. What kind of remote does the Joey operate on? Can it be controlled from other rooms?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

First time back in a while. I set up my house years ago with invaluable help from this community. Now I'm trying to upgrade to the Hopper. Here's the deal.

I have 7 TVs, 4 HD that are primary use and 3 secondary SD only TVs that get limited use. Currently I have a 922, 622 and 222 at three of the primary TVs and use a 8 way splitter to route all the TV2 outputs to the various other TVs around the house. Works well, I really only need to bring a TV2 remote when i go to one of the rooms with a little used SD TV.

I contacted Dish yesterday about upgrading to Hopper. They told me I would need 2 hoppers and 5 Joeys, no other options. Obviously this is cost prohibitive. So I'm looking for advice on a solution. Or just point me to another thread if one exists. My main questions:

1. They said the Hopper/Joey set up cannot have a 322 on the same system. Is this true or just their "recommendation"? A Hopper with 3 Joeys and a cheap 322 would solve the problem nicely.

2. They said I can only have 3 Joeys per Hopper. Does this mean I can only have 3 connected or 3 in use at any time?

3. Can the Joey output or Hopper be split?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Is there a reason you can't keep what you have? A Hopper with 3 Joeys and a modulator puts you where you are now with HD on only 3 TVs at a time.

Thanks, KAB. What kind of remote does the Joey operate on? Can it be controlled from other rooms?

Hopper and Joey use the the same model RF remote, works anywhere in the house.

Is there a reason you can't keep what you have? A Hopper with 3 Joeys and a modulator puts you where you are now with HD on only 3 TVs at a time.

And no capability to share recordings unless via EHD, physically moved. Pretty good reason not to. BIG picture.

I

Just an observation from what I am reading here, you are going from 6 sat tuners (don't know about OTA) down to 3. Will this be a problem? You may want to consider 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.

Just an observation from what I am reading here, you are going from 6 sat tuners (don't know about OTA) down to 3. Will this be a problem? You may want to consider 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.

Yep, been suggested.

I think garys has the best idea, two Hoppers and two Joeys. I would also install a RF modulator on one of the Hoppers or maybe a RF modulator on both Hoppers if them SD TVs get used a lot at the same time. Also, if you have good OTA signal in your home I would install an OTA module with rabbit ears on both Hoppers. You would have a nice system with plenty of tuners with OTA available if you lose Sat signal during a thunderstorm.

Is there a thread where I can learn more about what the RF modulator does and how it works? I'm not familiar with that.

Do the hoppers or joeys take an or signal as well for use with universal remotes?

Does the hopper or Joey take IR remote signal? I want to use my harmony one with it.

I think garys has the best idea, two Hoppers and two Joeys. I would also install a RF modulator on one of the Hoppers or maybe a RF modulator on both Hoppers if them SD TVs get used a lot at the same time. Also, if you have good OTA signal in your home I would install an OTA module with rabbit ears on both Hoppers. You would have a nice system with plenty of tuners with OTA available if you lose Sat signal during a thunderstorm.

This is my suggestion as well. You'll need the tuners for that many TVs. I know there is a pretty good thread on here about mirroring the Hopper and Joeys. I've done a few of them myself and there are a couple ways of doing it.

Is there a thread where I can learn more about what the RF modulator does and how it works? I'm not familiar with that.

Do the hoppers or joeys take an or signal as well for use with universal remotes?

The modulator is basically the same as the TV2 output, it converts the composite output to a SD channel, cheap one use ch.3/4 better ones do UHF channels 1 Output channel per modulator.
I believe the Hopper/Joey only recognizes DISH address #1 in IR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts