"High resolution output is forbidden for this content. Resolution is changed to 480p

Ronald_Jeremy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Rock Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!
On the store bought SD DVD's that I have tried on my Toshiba A3 this message pops up. "High resolution output is forbidden for this content. Resolution is changed to 480p"

The picture upconvert quality is fricking awesome, but WTF is it limiting it to 480p??

BTW, picked up an A3 at CC for $185 @ CC the other day.

How is your player connected to the TV?
If HDMI - it should upconvert.
If analog - it won't.

DIogen.

How is your player connected to the TV?
If HDMI - it should upconvert.
If analog - it won't.

DIogen.
Video is connected yo my TV via component(analog) cables through my Sony HT receiver. Then component to my TV secondary input. Main input on TV is HDMI direct from my Dish VIP622.

Even though it is connected by analog, shouldn't it still upconvert since the connection is capable of passing an HD signal? HD DVDs still pass an HD signal.

It is quite clear that it is not the connection because my TV pops modes between 1080i and 480 depending on what type of DVD is put in the A3.

I would assume it's because you're using the component (analog) cables. There's some kind of stipulation (from the studios?) that DVD's cannot be upconverted greater than 480P through a non-HDCP connection. Some kind of bone-headed measure that is somehow supposed to curtail making high-quality pirated copies.

I think that pretty much every upconverting DVD player on the market has this limitation. I'm not sure about your particular player, but some players can be hacked or modified to allow upconversion through the components. Probably worth a Google search.

Just RIP the DVD, remove the copy protection, and burn it on a DVD-R, and it will work fine. :)

Copy protected DVDs only display at 480p over component. You'll have the same problem with HD DVDs once they enable the ICT.

-John

Gotta love a hearty recommendation that advocates a direct violation of the law.

In this instance, I see no issue. He owns the disc. He wants to play it in higher resolution.

Anyways, I have the same problem with my HD A2, but its because my SONY XBR970 is NOT HDCP compliant. Can't connect the A2 through HDMI, as all HD DVDs won't play. But discs I have burned will play and will upconvert. So, component it is. And no upconverting. :(

Its a Bullsh!t law, IMHO.

Just RIP the DVD, remove the copy protection, and burn it on a DVD-R, and it will work fine. :)
I'd second this advice. Or use an HTPC.
Gotta love a hearty recommendation that advocates a direct violation of the law.
Its a Bullsh!t law, IMHO.
What law? I don't know any that would make DVD ripping illegal.

There were two free program in development for years (DVD-Decryptor and RipIt4Me) that Sony - the rootkit maker - spend
considerable amount of time finding and shutting down (by sending Cease and Desist Letter).

I'm glad there are countries like Antigua in this world and companies like SlySoft...

Diogen.

I'm glad there are countries like Antigua in this world and companies like SlySoft...

Diogen.

Agreed. I can see the point of adding protection to prevent piracy but dont limit the output resolution as if there arent VERY SIMPLE ways around it, especially for anyone who would be willing to pirate the movie anyway.

Screw Sony and the rest of 'em. I dont agree with piracy but you payed for a movie and an upconverting player and its bullsh** to not be able to take advantage of it.

I'd second this advice. Or use an HTPC.

What law? I don't know any that would make DVD ripping illegal.

There were two free program in development for years (DVD-Decryptor and RipIt4Me) that Sony - the rootkit maker - spend
considerable amount of time finding and shutting down (by sending Cease and Desist Letter).

Diogen.

Just look at the warning when you fire up ANY DVD. Its a grey area about backing up copies of media you already own, but most certainly is illegal to copy a rented or borrowed disc.

Just look at the warning when you fire up ANY DVD. Its a grey area about backing up copies of media you already own...
That's all I meant, grey area...
Until we have a court decision that can serve as a precedent, it will remain at such.

And for some reason, unlike RIAA, MPAA is not in suing mood. That might change if/when HD/BD is hacked and they exhaust all options to secure it.

Diogen.

Video is connected yo my TV via component(analog) cables through my Sony HT receiver. Then component to my TV secondary input. Main input on TV is HDMI direct from my Dish VIP622.

Even though it is connected by analog, shouldn't it still upconvert since the connection is capable of passing an HD signal? HD DVDs still pass an HD signal.

It is quite clear that it is not the connection because my TV pops modes between 1080i and 480 depending on what type of DVD is put in the A3.

Err... How about using the HDMI for your HD-DVD player and component for your Dish VIP622? IMHO, the Dish receiver displays better via component (Yes, I have one.) than HDMI. There's no sound penalty for toslink from the 622 like there is from the A3.

Note to all: that whole fair use argument was lost in the late 90's with the passage of the DMCA. You don't have the legal right to copy a copy-protected DVD that you bought. You may still legally copy any non-copy protected disc that you bought. You only have the right to view that copy-protected disc over and over. You own the right to unlimited, multiple viewings as well as the physical plastic. You don't own the content on the disc. Sorry, that's the way it is.

Lol, I have over 1000 movies copied on dvd-r (+r). I say let 'em find me. I've been burning (as well as several other people i know) hundreds of movies for years. Theres a guy in kentucky i knew when i lived there you could ask him any movie name and he'd have it on dvdr.

Lol, I have over 1000 movies copied on dvd-r (+r). I say let 'em find me. I've been burning (as well as several other people i know) hundreds of movies for years. Theres a guy in kentucky i knew when i lived there you could ask him any movie name and he'd have it on dvdr.

They should find you, since what you are doing is a felony.

I just dont see what the big deal is as long as people are not copying and selling them. You rent the movie, or buy it. They still get their cut. Now on the side of downloading music off the web, i look at that as a whole other story. Downloading music from the web gives the music industry no cut. oh well, we'd all be surprised at how many people are doing both.

Copy protected DVDs only display at 480p over component. You'll have the same problem with HD DVDs once they enable the ICT.

So the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on becomes obsolete since it connects via Component only?

Somehow, I think you are mistaken about this 480p limit coming soon to HD-DVDs. Yes, I understand the Xbox attachment doesn't upconvert standard DVDs, but I bought it to watch HD-DVDs. It would be useless if what you say is true about HD-DVD enabling the same limitation. Please check your source and once verified, please share it with us.

Thanks in advance.

The non-HDMI Xbox 360 won't upconvert regular DVDs above 480p: same rule for all players.
HD DVDs from the add-on will be played in its native 1920x1080 resolution over component and HDMI (newer Xbox).

If/when ICT is implemented, the vertical resolution over component will be cut in half: same rule for all players.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts