"High resolution output is forbidden for this content. Resolution is changed to 480p

If you play a standard DVD in the HD-DVD addon for the 360, and you are using the vga cable, and you tv supports it, or you use a standard PC monitor that supports the higher resolutions the video is upconverted.
Sorry, I was wrong.
I forgot that VGA and component are treated differently in the Xbox360 world...

Diogen.

Considering a good up-convert player can run about $80 - $175, YES the decent picture gains can be worth it IF you have the correct player AND depending on your HD display and which unit does a better job of the scaling. I would not call it near HD quality.

Agreed. Yes, it is better than watching a DVD in SD and is worth it if it's your only option. However, it's not nearly as good as broadcast HD and not even in the same universe as Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

Well it has been a while since I looked at my Sony AV receiver. It has two HDMI inputs and HDMI monitor out to the TV. I had bypassed it with the 622 when I first hooked it up. Just ordered a couple of cables from monoprice. I am going to reconfigure it all to HDMI though the Sony.

Well it has been a while since I looked at my Sony AV receiver. It has two HDMI inputs and HDMI monitor out to the TV. I had bypassed it with the 622 when I first hooked it up. Just ordered a couple of cables from monoprice. I am going to reconfigure it all to HDMI though the Sony.

Nice.

Just make sure it will pass the signal correctly. I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I think there are some older HDMI-capable receivers that won't pass through 1080p and possibly some other signals.... maybe someone else can help me out here.

Considering a good up-convert player can run about $80 - $175, YES the decent picture gains can be worth it IF you have the correct player AND depending on your HD display and which unit does a better job of the scaling. I would not call it near HD quality. AS you can imagine not all displays do things the same way or with the same quality and neither do upconverting players; just "being" an upconverting player doesn't mean too much.

Check ou some of these:

OPPO DV-970HD
OPPO OPDV971H
OPPO DV-981HD
LG LDA-531 (I have the older version of this one, $80 shipped)
LG DVB418 (region free and upconvert via component)
Philips DVP5960/37 (budget minded)

You can even go here to examine what is best for you.
BD, HD DVD and DVD Player Compatibility List

Thanks for the good info charper

Most of the newer SD DVD's will not upconvert in my HD DVD player connected by HDMI 1.3 I have no problem up converting the older DVD titles.

I plan to test this out on my BluRay player soon. I'm hoping it is just an issue of the Toshiba HD DVD player. All my sources are now connected by HDMI except for my older PVR-921 which is component.

Gotta love jackasses (i.e. media companies) that directly institute laws that take away our rights!
Do you leave your car keys in the ignition?

The laws are to protect their rights from people who would otherwise disregard them.

TV is not a human right.

The laws are to protect their rights from people who would otherwise disregard them.

TV is not a human right.

Well said.

And, more to the point, the rules help them continue to make money and stay in business, so that they can continue to produce content.

Doesn't do you much good to get all your content completely unlocked and free if that means it goes away in a couple of years, does it?

TV is not a human right.

We've been over this before, and you never seem to grasp it. I've even done research for you and provided links, yet you keep trotting out the same flawed, disproven arguments. Nobody here that I know of is excusing piracy. This is about content providers trying to get around the Betamax court decision that solidified fair use rights for consumers. The content providers never liked that ruling, and have been trying to end-run around it ever since. There will always be criminals who pirate content, and the content companies know that. These laws such as the abominable "DMCA" are designed to facilitate copyright abuse, and to allow content companies to strip consumers of their fair use rights. By buying off lawmakers, these mafia-esqe groups like the MPAA and RIAA have found a legal way to steal from the customer by denying them the ability to excersise their fair use rights. That's what this is about.

Nice summary.

Since the Supreme Court rubber stamped the copyright extension (argued against by Lawrence Lessig), MPAA/RIAA felt to have the upper hand in this debate. Too bad.

Diogen.

Bet you won't say that if you have to replace your multi $1000 HDTV because of this!!

Maybe I missed this somewhere in the middle of this thread, but I think it was suggested that you change your 622 to component and use the HDMI for your A3. Did you try that? It should solve the problem with no downgrade in PQ for either.

Maybe I missed this somewhere in the middle of this thread, but I think it was suggested that you change your 622 to component and use the HDMI for your A3. Did you try that? It should solve the problem with no downgrade in PQ for either.
I did that. It is working fine and upconverting through the hdmi. The comment I made above was in general towards HDCP and DRM. There are a lot of people that are going to have to replace their TV's when Dish fully implements HDCP because they only have compnent inputs. I know I am going to have to replace(if they come out with one with HDMI inputs) my brand new Slingbox Solo because it only has component inputs for HD. It will work fine for SD. But it is about to become a brick.

I did that. It is working fine and upconverting through the hdmi. The comment I made above was in general towards HDCP and DRM. There are a lot of people that are going to have to replace their TV's when Dish fully implements HDCP because they only have compnent inputs. I know I am going to have to replace(if they come out with one with HDMI inputs) my brand new Slingbox Solo because it only has component inputs for HD. It will work fine for SD. But it is about to become a brick.

Fair enough. I just thought you were still talking about your TV - glad you got it working!

Only works for now. Dish Is implementing HDCP on some content as well. (check the dish forums for the hublah over that http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/116688-more-dish-hdcp.html ). Then He will have to have a new TV for 2 HDMI in or buy a Manual switch that you have to get up to change back and forth. I know how much you like to do that. :D

(you can buy a electronic one, But they tend to fail sometimes with reconnecting the handshake.)

Only works for now. Dish Is implementing HDCP on some content as well. (check the dish forums for the hublah over that http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/116688-more-dish-hdcp.html ). Then He will have to have a new TV for 2 HDMI in or buy a Manual switch that you have to get up to change back and forth. I know how much you like to do that. :D

(you can buy a electronic one, But they tend to fail sometimes with reconnecting the handshake.)

I wasn't aware of that.... that definitely sucks. If that really means that you won't be able to watch HD with component (and I assume D* would do the same thing at some point), I would have to upgrade the TV in my bedroom as well, although I am fine with my main set...

I don't know... I guess I have a hard time believing that they would not allow HD content to be viewed on non-HDCP-compliant sets - there have to be a TON of them out there...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts