"High resolution output is forbidden for this content. Resolution is changed to 480p

Sorry, I did not say HD or BD; I said DVD; mine STILL works just fine and for $50 - $90 some users that wish to upconvert their huge library of DVDs should consider this option..

The non-HDMI Xbox 360 won't upconvert regular DVDs above 480p: same rule for all players.
HD DVDs from the add-on will be played in its native 1920x1080 resolution over component and HDMI (newer Xbox).

If/when ICT is implemented, the vertical resolution over component will be cut in half: same rule for all players.

Diogen.

The non hdmi xbox 360 and hd-dvd addon will upconvert dvd's if you use the vga cable and your tv has a vga input that supports 1920 X 1080, 1360 X 768, 1280 X 720 @ 60hz, etc. I have mine setup this way.

That's all I meant, grey area...
Until we have a court decision that can serve as a precedent, it will remain at such.

That might change if/when HD/BD is hacked and they exhaust all options to secure it.

Diogen.
HD/BD is already hacked. Just an FYI. And as for a grey area, it is black and white. The DMCA makes it illegal to bypass any encryption. No grey. Now a court decision might render that law unconstitutional, but the law is clear and not grey.

The non hdmi xbox 360 and hd-dvd addon will upconvert dvd's if you use the vga cable and your tv has a vga input that supports 1920 X 1080, 1360 X 768, 1280 X 720 @ 60hz, etc. I have mine setup this way.
I don't have an Xbox 360 but don't think it can do that.
I think Resident Evil, RE2 and Hero all have the ICT enabled.
The only one German HD DVD that I heard about having ICT implemented, reportedly had this by mistake.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1123530-post23.html
HD/BD is already hacked. Just an FYI.
Thanks. It is discussed here.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-blu-ray-war-zone/110954-hd-bd-copy-protection-blues.html
And just FYI, BD+ is not hacked.
And as for a grey area, it is black and white.
Here we will have to agree to disagree.
Until a law was tested in a court case it is not worth the paper it is written on.

Diogen.

Sorry, I did not say HD or BD; I said DVD; mine STILL works just fine and for $50 - $90 some users that wish to upconvert their huge library of DVDs should consider this option..

I dont mean to get off topic here (sorry), but I was thinking of getting an upconvert player. How well do they work? Does it really make the image that much better??

Thanks

Yes, the image is dramatically improved. Even on burned dvds. Ive stated is posts before its nearly hd quality, but not quite.

Many upconverting DVD players only upconvert by HDMI. I did a google search and learned that this player is ne of these---and that is mentioned in the manual.

I'm pretty sure we all remember this happy legacy of the first Clinton administration: Digital Millennium Copyright Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The one and only attempt (that I know about) to test DMCA in court was the Sklyarov
case (breaking Adobe's PDF protection) that morphed into ElcomSoft case... and had this outcome

ElcomSoft verdict: Not guilty | CNET News.com

Every other case (handreds?) where DMCA was mentioned were settled before reaching courts...

Don't get me wrong, it is nice - for a country - to have law abiding citizens.
If/when somebody eventually gets dragged into court for ripping/backing up DVDs, he might lose, big...
Just like the lady that has to pay $200K+ to RIAA in the first jury trial RE: sharing songs.

But until this happens - this law is a paper tiger.

Diogen.

I dont mean to get off topic here (sorry), but I was thinking of getting an upconvert player. How well do they work? Does it really make the image that much better??

Thanks

Considering a good up-convert player can run about $80 - $175, YES the decent picture gains can be worth it IF you have the correct player AND depending on your HD display and which unit does a better job of the scaling. I would not call it near HD quality. AS you can imagine not all displays do things the same way or with the same quality and neither do upconverting players; just "being" an upconverting player doesn't mean too much.

Check ou some of these:

OPPO DV-970HD
OPPO OPDV971H
OPPO DV-981HD
LG LDA-531 (I have the older version of this one, $80 shipped)
LG DVB418 (region free and upconvert via component)
Philips DVP5960/37 (budget minded)

You can even go here to examine what is best for you.
BD, HD DVD and DVD Player Compatibility List

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghia View Post
I don't have an Xbox 360 but don't think it can do that.

As I said I have the equipment. It does work as I've stated. If you play a standard DVD in the HD-DVD addon for the 360, and you are using the vga cable, and you tv supports it, or you use a standard PC monitor that supports the higher resolutions the video is upconverted.

Err... How about using the HDMI for your HD-DVD player and component for your Dish VIP622? IMHO, the Dish receiver displays better via component (Yes, I have one.) than HDMI. There's no sound penalty for toslink from the 622 like there is from the A3.

Note to all: that whole fair use argument was lost in the late 90's with the passage of the DMCA. You don't have the legal right to copy a copy-protected DVD that you bought. You may still legally copy any non-copy protected disc that you bought. You only have the right to view that copy-protected disc over and over. You own the right to unlimited, multiple viewings as well as the physical plastic. You don't own the content on the disc. Sorry, that's the way it is.

Fair use "argument"? Try fair use LAW. It was the law untill the whores in congress were sufficiently paid off by the content industry to pass that piece of sh*t. They always hated the fair use laws, now they found a way around it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)