Homezone 622HZ HD Overheating Solution

schneid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
In the Wind
My 622HZ would overheat and shutdown in my entertainment center. I purchased a Notebook Computer Cooling Pad and placed it beneath the box. Problem solved.

RadioShack and Staples have recently been selling them for under $15.00. They are powered via a USB connector so you need an adaptor. I had one laying around that was used to charge another device.

The air from below will help a little, but it is better to pull air out from the left side (viewed from the front). This draws some air from below, but most comes through the right side vent holes that flow directly over the HDD then through the electronics area and finally out over the power supply.

NEVER put a 622 of any persuasion in a closed cabinet, it is a little oven and will cook itself.

Down and Out

The model I have has two PC pancake fans. It pulls air down and pushes it out the front and the left side. Probably not ideal but it is very quiet, cheap, and it WORKS right out of the box. Temps have remained below 50C.

You might be much better off using one of those 3 inch 12 volt pancake fans sold at electronic surplus stores or salvaged from an old PC power supply. Just hook it to a 12 VDC wall wart and you're good to go. Place it next to the air intake.

Mine's In A Hole

I have mine stuffed an an entertainment center. There are no doors but outside air is limited to the open front and cable paths in the rear.

When I had it sitting on edge outside next to the entertainment center, average temp was 39C. According to HZ Support my current temps are within limits. More importantly the box is happy and therefore am I.

Lots of people put there stuff in recessed shelving so using cooling pads is a cheap plug & play solution to the problem.

I didn't think of it before but I guess you could power the pad from the box's builtin USB port. My pad has a pass through USB connector too.

Last edited:
The air from below will help a little, but it is better to pull air out from the left side (viewed from the front). This draws some air from below, but most comes through the right side vent holes that flow directly over the HDD then through the electronics area and finally out over the power supply.

NEVER put a 622 of any persuasion in a closed cabinet, it is a little oven and will cook itself.

Well, my 622 is still going strong in a fairly small Amish Plasma TV Center. But yeah, man that sucker gets hot. I can't even keep my finger on top of the unit for more than a second.

Anyone done any temp comparisons versus the 722? Did they make any modifications to help with the heat? (I have my 722 but yet to install)

New Toshiba DLP has "jumpy" picture

E* New HD Channels not on full screen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)